Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Aug 12, '04, 8:33 am

Religion: Catholic
Default What is worship?

I note that Protestants do not worship God. They have prayers, devotions, and readings. I have always questioned this mentality, for I do not know how they can say they obey the first commandment, which requires woriship. Please explain!
Old Aug 12, '04, 8:38 am

Default Re: What is worship?

True worship fulfills Malachi 1:11

For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same my name shall be great among the Gentiles; and in every place incense shall be offered unto my name, and a pure offering: for my name shall be great among the heathen, saith the LORD of hosts.

It requires incense and a pure offering. In other words, it requires a SACRIFICE. The context shows a liturgical context, like at a service.

Christ fulfilled the sacrificial requirements, once and for all, but how is this one-time sacrifice fulfills this prophecy? Because we offer up to God the PURE OFFERING of the Body and Blood of the Lord Jesus Christ (Eucharist)

Protestantism doesn't fulfill this. They don't have the pure offering.

They may offer prayers, praise, hymns, to God, which is what the incense can symbolize, but no pure offering.
Old Aug 12, '04, 9:33 am

I think the issue of worship is being taken to technically in this post. As a former Baptist, I can tell you I spent many occassions in deep prayer and in a formal setting collectively worshiping God. The post by BobCatholic seems to narrow - I could be wrong.

Chuck
Old Aug 12, '04, 9:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
I think the issue of worship is being taken to technically in this post. As a former Baptist, I can tell you I spent many occassions in deep prayer and in a formal setting collectively worshiping God. The post by BobCatholic seems to narrow - I could be wrong.
Yeah, you prayed, and praised, but not worshipped in the fulfillment of Malachi 1:11. Offered the (symbolic) incense (prayer, praise, hymns), yes, but where was the pure offering?
Old Aug 12, '04, 10:50 am

Religion: protestant
Send a message via Yahoo to bengal_fan

Rom 12:1- "Therefore brothers, in view of God's mercy, offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to the Lord. This is your spiritual act of worship."

whenever we offer ourselves to God it is worship. whether in prayer, devotion, song or service it is worship. the eucharist is the most perfect form of worship but the others are worship none the less.
Old Aug 12, '04, 12:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengal_fan
Rom 12:1- "Therefore brothers, in view of God's mercy, offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to the Lord. This is your spiritual act of worship."

whenever we offer ourselves to God it is worship. whether in prayer, devotion, song or service it is worship. the eucharist is the most perfect form of worship but the others are worship none the less.
I saw that verse, but that is not in the context of a liturgical setting. Malachi 1:11 is.
Old Aug 12, '04, 12:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCatholic
I saw that verse, but that is not in the context of a liturgical setting. Malachi 1:11 is.
how is it not in the context of a liturgical setting. it could be taken within the liturgy or apart from the liturgy. either way we must offer ourselves as a living sacrifice. that is an act of worship and protestants can and do worship in this way.
Old Aug 12, '04, 12:38 pm

Quote:
how is it not in the context of a liturgical setting.
Malachi 1:11 is in the context of a liturgical setting. Verse 10 mentions an altar, which is done at liturgy.

Quote:
it could be taken within the liturgy or apart from the liturgy. either way we must offer ourselves as a living sacrifice. that is an act of worship and protestants can and do worship in this way.
The liturgy that fulfills Malachi 1:11 has both incense and a pure offering. If we're talking spiritualy, then the incense represents what protestants are doing (praise, prayers, hymns). The "pure offering" is what? Nonexistent in protestant settings. That's why we have the Eucharist, which is the pure offering.
Old Aug 12, '04, 12:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck

Chuck
In the Catholic church such items as the rossary, the Way of the Cross, collective prayer, or deep prayer are known as devotions. These are in no way confused with worship.
Old Aug 12, '04, 12:47 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I agree with Chuck, I believe the CCC does too.

Quote:
901 "Hence the laity, dedicated as they are to Christ and anointed by the Holy Spirit, are marvelously called and prepared so that even richer fruits of the Spirit maybe produced in them. For all their works, prayers, and apostolic undertakings, family and married life, daily work, relaxation of mind and body, if they are accomplished in the Spirit - indeed even the hardships of life if patiently born - all these become spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. In the celebration of the Eucharist these may most fittingly be offered to the Father along with the body of the Lord. And so, worshipping everywhere by their holy actions, the laity consecrate the world itself to God, everywhere offering worship by the holiness of their lives."
Hey, let's do us all a favor, and ask the administration to set up a Feeneyite forum so you guys would have a place to go, and the rest of us could avoid it.

This does remind me of one of my favorite jokes, a very old one at that:

Quote:
A man arrives at the gates of heaven. St. Peter asks, "Religion?"

The man says, "Methodist."

St. Peter looks down his list, and says, "Go to room 24, but be very quiet as you pass room 8."

Another man arrives at the gates of heaven. "Religion?"

"Baptist."

"Go to room 18, but be very quiet as you pass room 8."

A third man arrives at the gates. "Religion?"

"Jewish." "Go to room 11, but be very quiet as you pass room 8."

The man says, "I can understand there being different rooms for different religions, but why must I be quiet when I pass room 8?"

St. Peter tells him, "Well the Catholics are in room 8, and they think they're the only ones here."

John

Last edited by John Higgins; Aug 12, '04 at 12:58 pm.
Old Aug 12, '04, 12:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCatholic
Malachi 1:11 is in the context of a liturgical setting. Verse 10 mentions an altar, which is done at liturgy.

The liturgy that fulfills Malachi 1:11 has both incense and a pure offering. If we're talking spiritualy, then the incense represents what protestants are doing (praise, prayers, hymns). The "pure offering" is what? Nonexistent in protestant settings. That's why we have the Eucharist, which is the pure offering.
the "pure offering" is themselves. easy enough huh? the eucharist is the best pure offering but it's not the only thing we give to God. the first thing we give to Him is ourselves and that is worship according to st. paul.
Old Aug 12, '04, 1:02 pm

Religion: Catholic (I'm a convert)

Quote:
the "pure offering" is themselves. easy enough huh? the eucharist is the best pure offering but it's not the only thing we give to God. the first thing we give to Him is ourselves and that is worship according to st. paul.
hmmm, this is a tough one. I agree with Bengal fan though in the different types of Worship, with the Eucharist being the perfort form of Worship. I do feel though that a church service without communion is an incomplete way to worship
Old Aug 12, '04, 1:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Higgins
I agree with Chuck, I believe the CCC does too.

Hey, let's do us all a favor, and ask the administration to set up a Feeneyite forum so you guys would have a place to go, and the rest of us could avoid it.

This does remind me of one of my favorite jokes, a very old one at that:

John
In the celebration of the Eucharist these may most fittingly be offered to the Father along with the body of the Lord.

They do not stand as worship outside of the celebration of the Eucharist. Only when they are offered up at the Eucharistic baquet are they considered worship.
Old Aug 12, '04, 1:16 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver
Only when they are offered up at the Eucharistic banquet are they considered worship.
Yeah, from your mouth to the Magisterium's ear.

John
Old Aug 12, '04, 4:13 pm

Quote:
the first thing we give to Him is ourselves and that is worship according to st. paul.
There's a difference between what your interpretation of St. Paul and what St. Paul is thinking

Unfortunately (for you) these things are not the same
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions