Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Oct 15, '06, 6:40 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Eating Before Mass

How bad is it to eat before Mass? It's just not realistic for me to not have breakfast before daily mass. If I return home for breakfast I will be late for work.

Kendy
Old Oct 15, '06, 8:06 pm

Default Re: Eating Before Mass

You could try getting up half an hour earlier, so that you have time to eat and still make the 1 hour rule. Of course, I'd have real problems following my own advice.

I recommend that you don't receive if you have not kept the fast. That doesn't mean you can't go to mass.
Old Oct 15, '06, 8:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug View Post
You could try getting up half an hour earlier, so that you have time to eat and still make the 1 hour rule. Of course, I'd have real problems following my own advice.

I recommend that you don't receive if you have not kept the fast. That doesn't mean you can't go to mass.
I wake up at 5:30 a.m. If I at breakfast any earlier. I would be ready for lunch before 10 a.m. This sucks.

Kendy
Old Oct 15, '06, 8:14 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

I don't know what you have for breakfast, but how about bring food/breakfast that you can eat after mass/before work? Even better if you can make it the previous night. So that, you won't be in a hurry in the morning.

Fr. Walter Ciszek (1904-1984)

www.vinzpablo.com
Old Oct 15, '06, 8:16 pm

Is there a parish near your work, instead of near your home? I know a number of people who go to daily mass in the noon hour. I realize, though, that this requires you work in a big city.

I'm not the best person for advice on this issue, because the way I make daily mass is to go at 7pm! The morning ones don't work well for me.
Old Oct 15, '06, 8:18 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendy View Post
I wake up at 5:30 a.m. If I at breakfast any earlier. I would be ready for lunch before 10 a.m. This sucks.

Kendy

What time is mass?

Talk to your priest. I believe he can dispense you from the fast.
Old Oct 15, '06, 8:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince2paul View Post
I don't know what you have for breakfast, but how about bring food/breakfast that you can eat after mass/before work? Even better if you can make it the previous night. So that, you won't be in a hurry in the morning.

Usually a bowl of cereal.
Old Oct 15, '06, 8:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug View Post
Is there a parish near your work, instead of near your home? I know a number of people who go to daily mass in the noon hour. I realize, though, that this requires you work in a big city.

I'm not the best person for advice on this issue, because the way I make daily mass is to go at 7pm! The morning ones don't work well for me.
I go to mass in many places depending on where I am working that day. I travel for work, but usually where I am going is no more than 45 minutes way from my house. Tomorrow, I am going to mass near my house, and it is at 7 a.m.

Kendy
Old Oct 15, '06, 8:41 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
I go to mass in many places depending on where I am working that day. I travel for work, but usually where I am going is no more than 45 minutes way from my house. Tomorrow, I am going to mass near my house, and it is at 7 a.m.

Kendy
I imagine it would vary when communion would be. In our parish, one priest mass communion is thirty minutes after the start of mass. The other priest communion is 15-20 minutes after mass. To keep the hour fast before the 7 mass tomorrow you could probably eat up until 6 10. Is that really impossible?
Old Oct 15, '06, 8:43 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

Kendy
offer it up to God.
Old Oct 15, '06, 8:46 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:

Kendy
You may have a job that forbids eating during your work day, but have you thought of those "breakfast bars" type things, something that can tide you over after Mass until lunchtime?
I personally don't find it hard to miss breakfast in the early am, but I do struggle with this if I end up having to go to a later Mass, more closer to afternoon, like 11 or 12.
I guess you could offer it up as a sacrifice unless it's every Sunday......I would imagine you'd want to have the Eucharist more often than not!!
Old Oct 15, '06, 8:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post
I imagine it would vary when communion would be. In our parish, one priest mass communion is thirty minutes after the start of mass. The other priest communion is 15-20 minutes after mass. To keep the hour fast before the 7 mass tomorrow you could probably eat up until 6 10. Is that really impossible?
It's possible if I made eating the first thing I did when I got out of bed, but I would much rather not since eating seems like a such a harmless activity.

Kendy
Old Oct 15, '06, 8:49 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
How bad is it to eat before Mass? It's just not realistic for me to not have breakfast before daily mass. If I return home for breakfast I will be late for work.

Kendy
It is not a sin to eat within one hour of going to Mass. It is a sin to eat within one hour of receiving Communion.
If you ignore the one hour fasting period before Communion but don't receive Communion you have not committed any sin, but if you receive Communion then that is a sin.
Old Oct 15, '06, 8:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer123 View Post
You may have a job that forbids eating during your work day, but have you thought of those "breakfast bars" type things, something that can tide you over after Mass until lunchtime?
I personally don't find it hard to miss breakfast in the early am, but I do struggle with this if I end up having to go to a later Mass, more closer to afternoon, like 11 or 12.
I guess you could offer it up as a sacrifice unless it's every Sunday......I would imagine you'd want to have the Eucharist more often than not!!
Yes, I would like to have the eucharist more often than not right after a nice, healthy breakfast. I wish someone had warned me that I was joining the church 10,000 rules. I am annoyed.
Old Oct 15, '06, 8:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
It is not a sin to eat within one hour of going to Mass. It is a sin to eat within one hour of receiving Communion.
If you ignore the one hour fasting period before Communion but don't receive Communion you have not committed any sin, but if you receive Communion then that is a sin.
And why is this a sin?

Kendy
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments