Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 20, '06, 6:41 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Can divorced men become priests?

If they have annulments...can they become priests? Always have pondered that...anyone know?

It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching. ~St. Francis of Assisi
Old Oct 20, '06, 7:54 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can divorced men become priests?

There is no doctrinal or canonical obstacle that I know of. After all, if widowers, who have certainly been married, can become priests, then men who have never in the eyes of the Church been married certainly can. I seem to remember that in the past—I mean here the early Middle Ages and before—that even married men could become priests, provided that their wives consented, that they separated from their wives and that they took a vow of perpetual continence.
Old Oct 20, '06, 8:18 pm

Yes, if they receive annulments and are accepted into the seminary they can become priests. Our current parish priest was previously married, received his annulment and went on to become a priest. There is also a priest in a city that I am aware of that received an annulment and is the father of a young child and he was accepted and has become a priest.

scared
Old Oct 21, '06, 12:24 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevergirl View Post
If they have annulments...can they become priests? Always have pondered that...anyone know?
If a man is divorced and gets an annulment, he can become a priest. A couple of years ago, there was a man in the Diocese of Cleveland who was divorced (had his marriage annulled), remarried, and his wife died. After the death of his wife, he entered the seminary and was ordained a priest.
Old Oct 25, '06, 6:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by scared View Post
Yes, if they receive annulments and are accepted into the seminary they can become priests. Our current parish priest was previously married, received his annulment and went on to become a priest. There is also a priest in a city that I am aware of that received an annulment and is the father of a young child and he was accepted and has become a priest.

scared
Does this not make him the father of an illegitimate child if his marriage never took place?
Annulments seem to given out too easily in some places. Too bad that modern moral relativism finds its way in to our midst.
Old Oct 25, '06, 6:56 am

From what I understand even if the marriage is annulled the children from that union are legitamate. I wonder how, but that is what I have been told.

Yes, I agree what happened until death do us part?

I know is some situations it is for the good, abusive relationships, adultry and such, but just some of the other reasons are really questionable.

scared
Old Oct 25, '06, 9:39 am
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Religion: Byzantine Ruthenian "Traditional" Catholic

It depends on the diocese.

I know of a couple of dioceses that will not accept men who have annulments but there is no canonical impediment.

Every religious order I have come across will accept such men.
Old Oct 25, '06, 10:53 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Smith View Post
Does this not make him the father of an illegitimate child if his marriage never took place?
Annulments seem to given out too easily in some places. Too bad that modern moral relativism finds its way in to our midst.
this is off topic. Annulment has no effect whatever on the status of children. If you want to discuss anullments please go to the threads on that topic. This topic is about the priesthood.
Old Oct 25, '06, 11:23 am
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Send a message via AIM to tee_eff_em Send a message via Yahoo to tee_eff_em
Cool Re: Can divorced men become priests?

Even a man without an annulment may be ordained, if he is granted dispensation by the Apostolic See. (cf. a recent thread "Divorced" Priests).

And: Yes, Canon 1137 explicitly legitimates children of putative marriages (not that such status means much).

tee
Old Oct 25, '06, 12:10 pm
Forum Master

We had a divorced man ordained in this diocese a few years ago. It was public knowledge that he was divorced (his ex-wife and children attended the same parish where he served as a deacon) but not whether he had his prior marriage annuled. He had to appeal to the Vatican several times before his ordination was approved.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Oct 25, '06, 1:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
this is off topic. Annulment has no effect whatever on the status of children. If you want to discuss anullments please go to the threads on that topic. This topic is about the priesthood.
Because the subject revolved around divorced men becoming priests how can the subject of annulments not be germaine to the discussion?
Old Oct 25, '06, 6:29 pm
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Religion: Byzantine Ruthenian "Traditional" Catholic
Thumbs down Re: Can divorced men become priests?

Quote:
Because the subject revolved around divorced men becoming priests how can the subject of annulments not be germaine to the discussion?
No, the issue of illegitimacy that you have brought up has nothing to do with this topic.

Not to mention that it has nothing to do with annulments either as the children of parents who have had their marriage declared null are not illegtimate because all an annulment states is that a Sacramental Marriage did not occur, it does not say that a Civil Marriage did not occur.
Old Oct 25, '06, 6:51 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scared View Post
what happened until death do us part?
An annulment does not end an exisitng marriage. Instead, it recognizes that the marriage wasn't valid from the beginning and therefore, the marriage does not exist.
Old Oct 25, '06, 7:02 pm
Banned

My personal opinion on the whole thing is that it causes scandal. How many Catholics say, " hey a divorced priest" "cool the Catholics allow divorce".
Old Oct 25, '06, 7:14 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Quote:

it's funny you say this, because i always felt that way too...until the priest of my parish explained annulments as God's mercy being offered through our Church. Think about it--suppose you made a grave mistake by getting a divorce...and there's no way to reconcile...and a child was conceived...wouldn't you want God to be merciful? ever since that sermon, i never look at annulments as easy handouts from our Church; rather, i view them as God's infinite mercy for understanding the messes us humans can sometimes make of our lives.

It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching. ~St. Francis of Assisi

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations