Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 26, '06, 11:04 am

Question Hooded Priests?

So I was reading the post on "eleven facts about Peter" and went to the website the argument was featured on and was looking through some of the pic's of the RCC and came across a few that are....peculiar. I don't know if it's ok to post pics on here or not so I'll just give the link: www.remnantofGod.org . You'll have to scroll down on the left and look for the category "RCC EXPOSED" and then click on the "Pix of the RCC". Then you will have to, again, scroll down to see the pics in question. There are 3 pics showing, supposedly, priests going to mass dressed with pointy hoods, the first with black hoods, second with red and the third with purple (sorta remenicent of the kkk hoods - I'm not implying anything I just don't know what else to compare it to).

Anyway, I was wondering exactly what they were of....if anyone knows. Many thanks.....
Old Oct 26, '06, 11:48 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Hooded Priests?

Don't know about that picture but....that is a very very very very anti-Catholic website.

Last edited by Stephen_C; Oct 26, '06 at 12:06 pm.
Old Oct 26, '06, 11:57 am
Forum Master

Without a cultural context I couldn't say who those men are supposed to be. They could be laymen who belong to a lay association, for all we know. The site isn't long on identifying pictures for what they really are, after all.

I got a good laugh out of the picture of one of the popes (it might be JPII, but I can't be sure) holding his hands up over his eyes while making circles, like glasses. They called it a "Masonic hand signal!" As if no Fundamentalist has ever made that gesture to mean glasses or I see or some other innocent thing such as that. Please!

Tiber Swim Team, Class of '87.

Inklings!

"Sanctum erit, facere bonum" Della's blog: http://dellakmg.blogspot.com/
Old Oct 26, '06, 12:58 pm

Religion: Orthodox Christian (Bulgarian Diocese of USA)
Send a message via AIM to Harpazo Send a message via MSN to Harpazo Send a message via Skype™ to Harpazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifrost View Post
So I was reading the post on "eleven facts about Peter" and went to the website the argument was featured on and was looking through some of the pic's of the RCC and came across a few that are....peculiar. I don't know if it's ok to post pics on here or not so I'll just give the link: www.remnantofGod.org . You'll have to scroll down on the left and look for the category "RCC EXPOSED" and then click on the "Pix of the RCC". Then you will have to, again, scroll down to see the pics in question. There are 3 pics showing, supposedly, priests going to mass dressed with pointy hoods, the first with black hoods, second with red and the third with purple (sorta remenicent of the kkk hoods - I'm not implying anything I just don't know what else to compare it to).

Anyway, I was wondering exactly what they were of....if anyone knows. Many thanks.....

That website makes me want to throw up... How they can sit here and call themselves Christian, I do not know.

About those hoods, many Europeans countries practice that action. I'm not sure how old the practice is exactly, but from my understanding it is their act of extreme contrition for their sins. They walk around covered, as not to shame themselves or their families.

If someone else could add to this, I'm sure the OP would appreciate it.

In Pax Christi
Andrew
Old Oct 26, '06, 1:01 pm

THE PENATANTS

I may be wrong on this but I believe that those hoods are the mark of an order of priest called the penitants. I believe it comes from the days of public confession, and the penitants coming back to the church at Easter. The penatants would wear the hoods, the priest would wear the hoods as well, so that one could not decipher who was guilty of what crimes, or hold blame to those people.

That was the way it was explained to me anyway. I believe they still are an order in Spain especially.

However, though they may look similar, there is no link to the KKK

A lone Raven

p.s.- the swiss guard three finger salute is the a way of saying three persons (in one God) and two natures (in Jesus)
Old Oct 26, '06, 1:12 pm

The folks at that website are, quite frankly, idiots.

This is a Lenten penitential procession, just like many that have existed in many cities in Spain, France and Italy for centuries. I'll see if I can find any documentation, but I believe this particular traditional procession goes back to the 17th century.

The hoods are worn out of humility.
Matthew 6:1
Beware of practicing your piety before men in order to be seen by them; for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.
The people in the procession aren't racists, and they have no connection with the KKK whatsoever.

The Ku Klux Klan dates back to the end of the American civil war. In their earlier history, the KKK did not wear the pointed hoods. They adopted their current uniform sometime in the first half of the 20th century.
Old Oct 26, '06, 1:37 pm

I grew up watching processions of hooded people during the Tridum some would wear black, other times white. In Italy there was a goup called something like the penitents of the mercy. Traditionally the would do acts of charity in hospitals and other places. The hood was to keep their identity secret in order to be humble. A lot of these processions still go on in Italy, Spain, and Malta. A google search will show images and history.
Old Oct 26, '06, 2:35 pm

Hmmm...I saw a picture of a former professor of mine in there. Supposedly, he "was caught doing acts of a Nazi." Whatever that means...I would never believe it.

This site is horrible!
Old Oct 27, '06, 10:52 am

Thanks everyone for the responses. I only had a minute, but that is all it took to find a couple pictures about this, or something quite similar to it. I went with what Loy said about it being a penitential rite and found these:

http://www.terracorsa.info/culture.html

http://www.jedecouvrelafrance.com/f-...atenacciu.html

I can only think that the person on the remnant website thought these would be good for some kind of "shock value", as there is nothing wrong about them. Anyway, thanks again!
Old Oct 27, '06, 11:05 am

Religion: Totally Catholic

These people are morons. One of my favorites is the pic criticizing Pope John Paul II's casket for having a "M" under the cross. They claim it means "masonic".

As we know, it stood for Mary. It doesn't take much research to figure this out. Clearly they have someone looking through pictures of catholics and just making stuff up.

The most offensive is claiming the NYC police officer is dressed as a Nazi. I guess these people do not believe that catholics are entitled to the same protections as they are. Clearly they view any officer performing his duty near a catholic to be a nazi. Like I said, morons.

Twitter me! http://twitter.com/SemperJase

Old Oct 27, '06, 12:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCatholic View Post
Hmmm...I saw a picture of a former professor of mine in there. Supposedly, he "was caught doing acts of a Nazi." Whatever that means...I would never believe it.

This site is horrible!
So, I followed up on the picture of my former professor and the comment that he was caught doing Nazi acts. It turns out that someone likened him to a Nazi because he blocked Planned Parenthood from coming to a Catholic University campus.

The Real Story

Quote:
PP supporter maligns priest as 'Nazi'

Last spring, Robin Moody, then asenior and president of the women's studies club at Gonzaga University, a Catholic institution, tried to bringa PP representative to speak on campus. Fr. Robert Spitzer, SJ, the university president, blocked this effort.

In November, Moody abused herposition as a copy editor for the Spokane Spokesman Review by writing the libelous headline, "Nazi priest promotes his book," which ran in the paper on Nov. 8.

Moody had placed the headline on an article about a book signing for Fr. Spitzer's book, Healing the Culture: A Commonsense Philosophy of Happiness, Freedom and the Life Issues. Neither this book nor Fr. Spitzer have anything to do with Nazism.

Dr. William Donahue, president of the Catholic League, contacted the newspaper and was told that an apology would be printed in the next edition. Donahue insisted that this was insufficient since Moody's action had been deliberate and motivated by Fr. Spitzer's stand against Planned Parenthood.

Donahue insisted that the guilty party should be terminated. The next day Moody resigned at the request of the newspaper. The paper did run the apology, which Fr. Spitzer graciously accepted.

Commenting on the matter in Mt. Vernon, Washington's Skagit Valley Herald, (Nov. 19, 2000), editor Norm Lewis wrote, "The fact that no other editor caught the horror in the headline feeds deep-rooted concerns about the lack of ideological diversity or sensitivity in newsrooms across the land." This incident also shows just how far some Planned Parenthood supporters will go to attack those who stand up for life.
Old Oct 27, '06, 12:54 pm

That is by far one of the worst anti-Catholic websites I have ever seen!!! Some of the pics were laughable and others were just disgusting!!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics