Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Oct 28, '06, 10:58 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default How many times a day can you receive the Eucharist?

I've got a friend that is confused on this issue. How many times a day can you receive the Eucharist? He went to daily Mass, then attended a wedding that afternoon with a Mass. He then wanted to go to Mass that Saturday evening because he was going to be on the road all day Sunday. He asked a couple of priests who each gave him different answers.

Anyone have any knowledge of this?
Old Oct 28, '06, 11:14 am

Default Re: How many times a day can you receive the Eucharist?

This is what canon law says:

"Can. 917 A person who has already received the Most Holy Eucharist can receive it a second time on the same day only within the eucharistic celebration in which the person participates, without prejudice to the prescript of ⇒ can. 921, 2
Can. 921 1. The Christian faithful who are in danger of death from any cause are to be nourished by holy communion in the form of Viaticum.

2. Even if they have been nourished by holy communion on the same day, however, those in danger of death are strongly urged to receive communion again.

3. While the danger of death lasts, it is recommended that holy communion be administered often, but on separate days."

It does not seem that one can recive 3 times in the same day, though (that is my personal interpretation from the above)
Old Oct 28, '06, 5:25 pm

I agree with lifeisbeautiful, except that I believe that the Saturday evening mass may not be considered to be on the same "day". I'd have to refer to an expert, but for certain purposes a liturgical day is treated as beginning on the prior evening, which is of course the reason a Saturday evening mass can fulfill the obligation. I would follow the priest's advice - or if still in doubt one can certainly attend without receiving.

As far as the obligation to attend the Sunday liturgy is concerned, it is still met even if you do not for some reason receive.
Old Oct 28, '06, 5:32 pm

Religion: Catholic Convert 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam88 View Post
I agree with lifeisbeautiful, except that I believe that the Saturday evening mass may not be considered to be on the same "day". I'd have to refer to an expert, but for certain purposes a liturgical day is treated as beginning on the prior evening, which is of course the reason a Saturday evening mass can fulfill the obligation. I would follow the priest's advice - or if still in doubt one can certainly attend without receiving.

As far as the obligation to attend the Sunday liturgy is concerned, it is still met even if you do not for some reason receive.
I believe you are correct with regards to Saturday evening. It isn't the same as Saturday AM since it's a different gospel reading? I think your friend was OK with all three because the Saturday AM was fine - then the wedding - fine again - then Saturday evening which is the vigil isn't it?
Old Oct 28, '06, 8:14 pm

I had this question the other day -- different situation; I went to morning mass, received communion, then they filed the school in for the first mass of the 40hrs of Adoration -- I stayed since I was already there, and curious to hear the homily (it was great) but did not receive b/c I wasn't sure...
Old Oct 28, '06, 8:31 pm
Banned

Just what happens if someone does receive multiple times in one day?

What's the problem? How can it be 'sin' to receive Jesus multiple times all within mass settings?
Old Oct 28, '06, 8:36 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic90 View Post

What's the problem? How can it be 'sin' to receive Jesus multiple times all within mass settings?
From what I understand, the limit of twice a day with the second time has to be at Mass is the current discipline because apparently there are a significant number of people who would otherwise spend their entire day searching for Masses and other Eucharistic celebrations to attend in order to receive Holy Communion all day long, rather than getting their work done.

Priests can receive up to three times a day.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Oct 28, '06, 8:47 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic90 View Post

It may or may not be sinful, but it is certainly completely unnecessary for the vast majority of people. Even priests need special permission to celebrate more than three Masses in one day for this reason.

There's a kind of law of (rapidly) diminishing returns that applies in addition to the other reasons given, since the Eucharist is so powerful and grace-giving that receiving once a day is in most cases more than sufficient.

And I second the concern of some people neglecting other (and very necessary and beneficial) duties and leisure activities and spending all their time in church. For that matter I could see myself quite possibly becoming one of them in certain circumstances
Old Oct 29, '06, 10:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam88 View Post

While it is a commonplace that liturgical days extend from sundown to sundown (and, in fact, according to the office I think they do) this should not be automatically transferred to one's interpretation of the canons. According to your logic of the liturgical day enabling anticipated Masses, after all, Sunday evening Masses would no longer fulfill the obligation - which of course they do; the Sunday obligation can be fulfilled during a period lasting ca. 32-36 hours depending on your canon law society. I think unless the law specifies otherwise it is referring to calendar days. Therefore, receiving 3 times on a Saturday would be illicit.
Old Oct 29, '06, 10:20 am

So....question. My church does not have saturday morning mass. So, say I go to the vigil mass on saturday and receive. Can I then go to sunday morning mass and receive, too? Even though it is the same readings?
I try to attend daily mass, but since there is no sat a.m. mass....?????
Old Oct 29, '06, 10:24 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscerningDave View Post
So....question. My church does not have saturday morning mass. So, say I go to the vigil mass on saturday and receive. Can I then go to sunday morning mass and receive, too? Even though it is the same readings?
I try to attend daily mass, but since there is no sat a.m. mass....?????
Twice in one day means twice in one day ... whether or not Saturday evening is considered the same 'day' as Sunday morning, you would be fine
Old Dec 31, '07, 8:01 am
Inactive Member

I know that you can receive more than once a day if the readings are different. I am not sure that it is because of not getting your work done, but more from the lack of faith in the power of healing in receiving Jesus only once.

14 years ago I was attending daily mass at my regular morning mass church and the monsignor arrived early and said a mass prior to the regular mass. He announced that on this particular day you could attend as many masses as you desired and receive communion at each one. He was intending to say as many as he could.

Has anyone heard of this? And if so what day is it. I asked my priest this morning, but he had not heard of this.
Old Dec 31, '07, 8:04 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcrae View Post
From what I understand, the limit of twice a day with the second time has to be at Mass is the current discipline because apparently there are a significant number of people who would otherwise spend their entire day searching for Masses and other Eucharistic celebrations to attend in order to receive Holy Communion all day long, rather than getting their work done.

Priests can receive up to three times a day.
I think priests can receive more often than that if they have to celebrate more than 3 Masses -- as can happen at Christmas.
Old Dec 31, '07, 8:12 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWorthy View Post
I've got a friend that is confused on this issue. How many times a day can you receive the Eucharist? He went to daily Mass, then attended a wedding that afternoon with a Mass. He then wanted to go to Mass that Saturday evening because he was going to be on the road all day Sunday. He asked a couple of priests who each gave him different answers.

Anyone have any knowledge of this?
Couldn't he go to the evening and not recieve?

I usually just attend once unless there is a funeral which I try to get to but if I ate too late I don't receive but still attend.
I think the answer is twice.

I can do all things in Him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Through Him, With Him, and In Him
Old Dec 31, '07, 9:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMSLITTLELAMB View Post
I know that you can receive more than once a day if the readings are different.
The readings have nothing to do with it. You can attend the 8:30 mass and receive, then attend the 10:00 mass and receive again, same readings and all. The limitations are that you may not receive more than twice in a day, and if you receive a second time, it must be at a mass.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments