Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 3, '06, 7:35 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Question for married couples reguarding sex toys...

This is the best spot I can think of to post this question... I have been a bit of a lurker on Catholic Forums from quite awhile, but I've never posted yet. ^^

Anyways, I was homeschooled for most of my life, and though I wasn't exactly sheltered, I had never heard much about sex toys until I got to university. Now my residence's floor is having a Fantasia party (for those who don't know, that's where someone brings in an array of sex toys and explains their function to a group of people). I'm not planning on going, because I know most of the stuff will be objects used for masturbation, which I know is a sin... I'm guessing, though I don't know for sure, that married couples could use sex toys as a form of fore-play, as long as the natural marital act takes place. So, my question is this: Is knowing about how to use sex toys really that essential for better sex? Will I really _have_ to know how to use these things someday? It just seems to me that it would sort of cheapen sex, make it more just plesure orientated... 0.o I've very confused. I'm obviously not married, though I am in a serious courting relationship, and my boyfriend and I are seriously considering getting married after I get my degree.
Any opinions would be helpful!!! Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 3, '06, 7:50 am

Default Re: Question for married couples reguarding sex toys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinbeast View Post
This is the best spot I can think of to post this question... I have been a bit of a lurker on Catholic Forums from quite awhile, but I've never posted yet. ^^

Anyways, I was homeschooled for most of my life, and though I wasn't exactly sheltered, I had never heard much about sex toys until I got to university. Now my residence's floor is having a Fantasia party (for those who don't know, that's where someone brings in an array of sex toys and explains their function to a group of people). I'm not planning on going, because I know most of the stuff will be objects used for masturbation, which I know is a sin... I'm guessing, though I don't know for sure, that married couples could use sex toys as a form of fore-play, as long as the natural marital act takes place. So, my question is this: Is knowing about how to use sex toys really that essential for better sex? Will I really _have_ to know how to use these things someday? It just seems to me that it would sort of cheapen sex, make it more just plesure orientated... 0.o I've very confused. I'm obviously not married, though I am in a serious courting relationship, and my boyfriend and I are seriously considering getting married after I get my degree.
Any opinions would be helpful!!! Thanks in advance!
My personal opinion is that within the bounds of the Church's teaching, the use of "marital aids" is strictly between a husband and wife. Ultimately, I think a couple can live a fully satisfied life without such toys, after all, they haven't been available to most people until recently. In fact, even inside a marriage relationship, they might end up being used as a shortcut for trying to keep the passion of the relationship alive rather than each person working to build romance.

--
Bill
Old Nov 3, '06, 7:52 am

Here is a link to another thread that is dicussing this very issue. http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=117170 In this other thread there is also links to the Ask an Apologist Forum for related questions there.

Proud Papa of 3 girls and 1 baby boy: SweetPea (2001), Little Bit (2003), Twinkle (2006) and Ike (2008)
Old Nov 3, '06, 8:15 am

Send a message via AIM to lotusblossom

I know this has been a recently debated issue, as shown by the previous poster's link to one of the threads. You will find many opinions there.

Personally, I would opt for not using sex toys, as I think it could make it easy to cheapen sex or objectify the act. I talked to my husband about this very subject when I first read a thread about it and he just said, "No, I'd never want to use them" for the reason I stated above. I wouldn't say they are sinful or anything when used as foreplay in the context of marriage, but I would never use them myself. Honestly, in my own marriage, it's not the physical pleasure that is primary, but the satisfaction and unity comes from the whole act itself.
Old Nov 3, '06, 8:20 am

Religion: Non-Catholic

What is wrong about the pleasurability of sex in marriage? Sex IS pleasurable -- if God didn't want us to enjoy it, He wouldn't have made it pleasurable. I don't "get" why some people are so afraid of enjoying it.

BTW, I think sex toys are rather icky and wouldn't use one but if a married couple uses them to enhance their sex life, I don't see anything wrong with it.
Old Nov 3, '06, 8:38 am

[quote=Sandi;1627940]What is wrong about the pleasurability of sex in marriage? Sex IS pleasurable -- if God didn't want us to enjoy it, He wouldn't have made it pleasurable. I don't "get" why some people are so afraid of enjoying it.
QUOTE]

I just wanted to say that I may have come across as saying pleasure in sex is bad...I didn't mean it that way. I enjoy the pleasure immensely, but I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't use sex primarily to get pleasure for myself...if that makes sense . Nothing wrong with pleasure at all! Like you said, if God didn't want us to enjoy it, He wouldn't have made it pleasurable (and SO pleasurable at that! ).
Old Nov 3, '06, 9:34 am

[quote=lotusblossom;1627983]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
What is wrong about the pleasurability of sex in marriage? Sex IS pleasurable -- if God didn't want us to enjoy it, He wouldn't have made it pleasurable. I don't "get" why some people are so afraid of enjoying it.
QUOTE]

I just wanted to say that I may have come across as saying pleasure in sex is bad...I didn't mean it that way. I enjoy the pleasure immensely, but I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't use sex primarily to get pleasure for myself...if that makes sense . Nothing wrong with pleasure at all! Like you said, if God didn't want us to enjoy it, He wouldn't have made it pleasurable (and SO pleasurable at that! ).
well, I think you said it very well in the first post. If you are using sex for pleasure without regard to the unitive and procreative aspects, then you are way off track.

And, frankly, I'm shocked that college students in a dorm would host such a party. I'm assuming that they are all single. Most are supported at least partly by their parents.Their parents would approve of spending money on this?

This thread makes me even more nervous about sending my kids to college.
Old Nov 3, '06, 9:41 am

[quote=leonie;1628100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusblossom View Post

well, I think you said it very well in the first post. If you are using sex for pleasure without regard to the unitive and procreative aspects, then you are way off track.

And, frankly, I'm shocked that college students in a dorm would host such a party. I'm assuming that they are all single. Most are supported at least partly by their parents.Their parents would approve of spending money on this?

I am afraid you either have never been to college, or just haven't been to college for a long, long time. Pretty much since the 1960s, College has been where kids have ended up experimenting with all sorts of things that their parents probably wouldn't approve of. That being said, not every kid who goes to college is like this. Many try to stick to the straight and narrow and fall off it no more than the rest of us. But just remember, even if they don't go to college, there is no way to be sure that they do not engage in that sort of behavior on their own. The first years after High School are where kids assert their independence. They are going to make mistakes but hopefully they won't stray too far if you have raised them correctly.

Certainly, if you want to minimize their exposure some schools are better than others. Definitely cross any school with a party school reputation off your list (Ironically, party schools are often in otherwise idyllic settings in the countryside.. basically, kids party because there is nothing else to do.).

--
Bill
Old Nov 3, '06, 9:44 am

Religion: RCIA

[quote=leonie;1628100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusblossom View Post

Although I understand shock, I don't think that you can be surprised. Have you ever watched those ads for girls gone wild? Aren't all of those young women college students whose vacations are paid for by mom and dad?

My son wants to be a film director and I understand that this is a field in which he will be exposed to very liberal thinking. I have been having long conversations with him about right and wrong.

As far as the OP. I think he/she is concerned that when they marry they will not be knowledgeable enough for their future spouse. Please don't worry. If you both love and respect one another then you will figure out how to make love, sex toys or not.
Old Nov 3, '06, 10:12 am
Prayer Warrior

[quote=mchale;1628116]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonie View Post

I am afraid you either have never been to college, or just haven't been to college for a long, long time. Pretty much since the 1960s, College has been where kids have ended up experimenting with all sorts of things that their parents probably wouldn't approve of. That being said, not every kid who goes to college is like this. Many try to stick to the straight and narrow and fall off it no more than the rest of us. But just remember, even if they don't go to college, there is no way to be sure that they do not engage in that sort of behavior on their own. The first years after High School are where kids assert their independence. They are going to make mistakes but hopefully they won't stray too far if you have raised them correctly.

Certainly, if you want to minimize their exposure some schools are better than others. Definitely cross any school with a party school reputation off your list (Ironically, party schools are often in otherwise idyllic settings in the countryside.. basically, kids party because there is nothing else to do.).

--
Bill
I'm at a university in a fairly idyllic setting in a small town, and I find plently of things to do besides party. Some parties are good, where everyone is just there to dance and have fun, others are bad, where people are drunk and grinding... But my school doesn't have a rep as a party school.

Don't worry about your kids going to college/university. If they have their heads in the right place and faith in their hearts, they'll have no problem staying away from the sinful side of university life. my friends accepted me and my beliefs with no problem, once they realised I wasn't just a sheep blindly following a shepherd.

Thank you for all the replies; it seems that sex toys really aren't necessary, and, if anything, not useful either! ^^
Old Nov 3, '06, 11:27 am

[quote=deb1;1628124]
Quote:
As far as the OP. I think he/she is concerned that when they marry they will not be knowledgeable enough for their future spouse. Please don't worry. If you both love and respect one another then you will figure out how to make love, sex toys or not.
I totally agree with this. Part of the joy of waiting until marriage is the deepening of the relationship through learning about and with each other. If you are considering going to the "toy party" I would say just don't go. When you and your husband are married, you can choose the path that's best for you together. You will never regret having waited!!!

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, pray for us.

ALL for Jesus!
ALL that He wants!
ALL for Jesus!
Old Nov 3, '06, 11:53 am

[quote=mchale;1628116]
Quote:

I am afraid you either have never been to college, or just haven't been to college for a long, long time. Pretty much since the 1960s, College has been where kids have ended up experimenting with all sorts of things that their parents probably wouldn't approve of. That being said, not every kid who goes to college is like this.

--
Bill
Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana class of '92!

The moral climate was not great, but we sure didn't have sex toy demonstrations in the dorm!

To op, after being homeschooled, were you prepared for this kind of stuff going on? I'm just asking because we homeschool.
Old Nov 3, '06, 12:09 pm

[quote=mchale;1628116]
Quote:

--
Bill

I just graduated from Franciscan University, and I never once had heard of any kind of party that sold sex toys happening on or off our campus. I know there were parties, but none of this kind and especially not on our campus.
Old Nov 3, '06, 12:15 pm
Prayer Warrior

I was sort of surprized, but not completely shocked. Most of the people who are here haven't been lucky enough to have parents who homeschool, so I didn't expect any of them to have the same morals as I do. They would have been pretty much drowned in modern secular culture for most of their life, without a clear idea of what's right and wrong. As for preparedness... you don't have to know every immoral thing people are capable of to be prepared. The main thing that helped me was learning the 'why' of the Catholic faith, not just what we believe, and mock-apologetics sessions, where we practiced answering common questions that most people outside of the Church would ask. Some people won't accept even the most reasonable answers, unfortunately... but, yes, I think I was pretty well prepared.

The really scary thing about this party is it's not just one really liberally minded person kind of half forcing half convincing all the girls on our floor to do this, they all voted on a few choices of educational sessions we could have(like dancing, self-defence, etc), and they picked the sex toys. x.x
Old Nov 3, '06, 12:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinbeast View Post
I was sort of surprized, but not completely shocked. Most of the people who are here haven't been lucky enough to have parents who homeschool, so I didn't expect any of them to have the same morals as I do. They would have been pretty much drowned in modern secular culture for most of their life, without a clear idea of what's right and wrong. As for preparedness... you don't have to know every immoral thing people are capable of to be prepared. The main thing that helped me was learning the 'why' of the Catholic faith, not just what we believe, and mock-apologetics sessions, where we practiced answering common questions that most people outside of the Church would ask. Some people won't accept even the most reasonable answers, unfortunately... but, yes, I think I was pretty well prepared.

The really scary thing about this party is it's not just one really liberally minded person kind of half forcing half convincing all the girls on our floor to do this, they all voted on a few choices of educational sessions we could have(like dancing, self-defence, etc), and they picked the sex toys. x.x
As a non-homeschooled college grad that as never had a home-schooled friend (not by choice, but I just have never come across any) I don't think their lack of being homeschooled is the reason their morals are different, but I do think that the difference in parents may be a good reason. Its sad that it was even an option and sad that they would choose that "educational session".
Anyways, I graduated less than 3 yrs ago from college, and was very familiar with dorm life, and our dorms never had a party like the one you mentioned (at least not organized by the dorm).

BTW, I agree with the posts saying don't go and don't worry about knowing about all these things. You do not need any of these kind of things to have a happy marriage.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life