Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Nov 3, '06, 9:56 am
zorrox zorrox is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: September 18, 2006
Posts: 220
Religion: Catholic
Default St Therese and the smell of roses

I think I experienced this once, on a train, I'm very sceptical but is it not possible with God?

Have you ever experiencenced the smell of roses after you prayed to St Therese?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Nov 3, '06, 10:04 am
JimR-OCDS's Avatar
JimR-OCDS JimR-OCDS is offline
Forum Master
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Posts: 12,606
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: St Therese and the smell of roses

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorrox View Post
I think I experienced this once, on a train, I'm very sceptical but is it not possible with God?

Have you ever experiencenced the smell of roses after you prayed to St Therese?
Yes, both the smell of roses and one time a rose came into my life after praying for a favor, where a rose should not have been growing and out of season.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Nov 3, '06, 11:25 am
Polish Polish is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 21, 2006
Posts: 141
Default Re: St Therese and the smell of roses

I've prayed to St. Therese without any kind of answer ... roses or just the smell of roses. I even ended up asking her if she could hear me .... no response.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Nov 3, '06, 11:59 am
TOP TOP is offline
Regular Member
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: June 22, 2005
Posts: 3,139
Default Re: St Therese and the smell of roses

Yes , We have had her intercession twice that I know of. After my mother passed away we had the smell of roses in a 20 foot circle on our back porch for about 10 minutes. That time I only prayed for my mother, not for intercession. The response was almost immediate. Tim
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Nov 3, '06, 1:47 pm
ss828 ss828 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: November 3, 2006
Posts: 50
Smile Re: St Therese and the smell of roses

Hi,

I began asking St. Therese for her intercession 2 months ago. I've been praying for a reconciliation of my relationship, asking her to pray to the Lord that my ex and I could find our way back to eachother. I am ready and willing to accept God's will, even if that means we don't reconcile- but it never hurts to make known your requests to the Lord, so I continue to pray for that special intention. I saw many improvements in my situation when I started praying. I also asked St. Claire, St. Jude, Scared Heart, St. Expedite for assistance.

I saw roses on TV and rose bushes, but never actually got a physical rose or the scent of a rose- but I always knew she was hearing my prayers, because I was praying with a pure and open heart- hoping that all the fears, insecurities and obstacles that drove my ex and I apart will be healed.

This Monday I visited my ex at his house. As I walked in the front door, I saw a single rose on his window sill. I took a double take. I had been praying for the reconciliation of our relationship for so long- and the day I visit his house (first time I'd been back in months), I saw a rose on his window sill! Seemed weird. I also had dreamt a dozen yellow roses the night before- and in my dream I remember saying- "St. Therese has sent me my own roses- she hears me". So I thought may be it was a coincidence- may be roses were on my mind and that's why I dreamt them- and may be it was a coincidence that there was a rose at his house.

Well when I got home from our visit, I checked my email. And I got a message from an old friend who I hadn't heard from for a long time- the email was about St. Therese, and there was a picture of roses in it and a prayer. I was floored, I was now certain that even though she didn't send me my own roses- this was her way of saying- "I hear you, keep praying".

If there was any doubt in my mind about her power and her caring, all doubt was erased. I saw 3 sets of roses in 24 hours- and previously I only saw them on tv...I was so happy, renewed with faith and relaxed on Monday. I am still a bit sad- that we haven't yet reconciled, but I know the Lord is working on it. The answer to my prayers may be a reconciliation, it may not be a reconciliation, it may even mean waiting longer- but I know regardless of the outcome- my prayers are being heard.

So no I never really got the scent of roses- but her roses are really the comfort and faith you get from praying...so it's not necessarily a physical thing.

I have gained so much since I started to pray-!!!!! Her roses were just a validation...so for 2 months I prayed with no roses of my own- you just have to be patient they show up either in the literal or figurative form!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Nov 3, '06, 3:03 pm
SORROWS SORROWS is offline
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: September 28, 2006
Posts: 623
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: St Therese and the smell of roses

Yes, perserverence in prayer. Oftentimes the miracle is greater than you ever imagined just by faith, patience and acknowledging that Gods Will be done.

This has happened to me many times. Even though we want something, it may not be the right time or we may not be ready for it.

Through St. Therese, God knows whats best for us.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Nov 3, '06, 3:17 pm
mariam1976 mariam1976 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 24, 2006
Posts: 787
Religion: catholic
Default Re: St Therese and the smell of roses

i was praying to st therese and did get the smell of roses ...
but only after i completely submitted myself to the will of the Lord, did i see her manifesting... like i got her card... and recently i have started looking deep inside myself before praying to know what my problems are... i know that when i pray i get scared about the problems... i remind myself that when my prayer is answered and i come across these problems, i will just look towards the lord and he will deliver me... after that, i have actually got infant jesus prayer handed to me (yesterday) out of the blue... i think that god wants to grant every wish of ours but he wants us to prepare ourselves to receive it first!! the lady even prayed over me and this was after i prayed to Jesus that if there was no hope of reconciliation, please do not manifest yourself to me... so this has really helped me...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Nov 4, '06, 4:15 am
CSN CSN is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 29, 2005
Posts: 461
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: St Therese and the smell of roses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss828 View Post
Hi,

I began asking St. Therese for her intercession 2 months ago. I've been praying for a reconciliation of my relationship, asking her to pray to the Lord that my ex and I could find our way back to eachother. I am ready and willing to accept God's will, even if that means we don't reconcile- but it never hurts to make known your requests to the Lord, so I continue to pray for that special intention. I saw many improvements in my situation when I started praying. I also asked St. Claire, St. Jude, Scared Heart, St. Expedite for assistance.

I saw roses on TV and rose bushes, but never actually got a physical rose or the scent of a rose- but I always knew she was hearing my prayers, because I was praying with a pure and open heart- hoping that all the fears, insecurities and obstacles that drove my ex and I apart will be healed.

This Monday I visited my ex at his house. As I walked in the front door, I saw a single rose on his window sill. I took a double take. I had been praying for the reconciliation of our relationship for so long- and the day I visit his house (first time I'd been back in months), I saw a rose on his window sill! Seemed weird. I also had dreamt a dozen yellow roses the night before- and in my dream I remember saying- "St. Therese has sent me my own roses- she hears me". So I thought may be it was a coincidence- may be roses were on my mind and that's why I dreamt them- and may be it was a coincidence that there was a rose at his house.

Well when I got home from our visit, I checked my email. And I got a message from an old friend who I hadn't heard from for a long time- the email was about St. Therese, and there was a picture of roses in it and a prayer. I was floored, I was now certain that even though she didn't send me my own roses- this was her way of saying- "I hear you, keep praying".

If there was any doubt in my mind about her power and her caring, all doubt was erased. I saw 3 sets of roses in 24 hours- and previously I only saw them on tv...I was so happy, renewed with faith and relaxed on Monday. I am still a bit sad- that we haven't yet reconciled, but I know the Lord is working on it. The answer to my prayers may be a reconciliation, it may not be a reconciliation, it may even mean waiting longer- but I know regardless of the outcome- my prayers are being heard.

So no I never really got the scent of roses- but her roses are really the comfort and faith you get from praying...so it's not necessarily a physical thing.

I have gained so much since I started to pray-!!!!! Her roses were just a validation...so for 2 months I prayed with no roses of my own- you just have to be patient they show up either in the literal or figurative form!!!!!!!!!!
Interesting story. I also prayed to get back together with my ex. I thought I got a lot of indirect signs as well. Like you, in a span of two days, I saw roses everywhere -- in a moped scooting right past me with a front basket full of roses (who does this?). Hundreds of rose petals on the street in a patch of about 6 feet by 3 feet (where from?). Dried roses on the wall of a bar (rare in a bar...).

Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out. While you were able to get back into his front door, she came out to tell me "I hate you" twice...

I was sad, not because of rejection per se, but because it was like talking to a stranger. Like the girl I loved was gone.

But my sadness only lasted 36 hours. Know why? I still have hope. My friends told me I'm going off the deep end, and people here tell me do God's will, not mine. But at the same time, we are supposed to have faith, to believe like children, and to hope. Hope is a beautiful thing !

Anyway, the reason I said this is interesting is because yellow roses have significance. I asked for signs to be yellow roses, because yellow was her favorite color. So today at mass, there were bright yellow roses everywhere. Not a big deal, but notable. And then I read your mail, and you spoke of yellow roses. Again, not a big deal, but interesting...

I hope everything works out for you.

I hope everything works out for me.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Nov 4, '06, 4:22 am
CSN CSN is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 29, 2005
Posts: 461
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: St Therese and the smell of roses

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariam1976 View Post
i was praying to st therese and did get the smell of roses ...
but only after i completely submitted myself to the will of the Lord, did i see her manifesting... like i got her card... and recently i have started looking deep inside myself before praying to know what my problems are... i know that when i pray i get scared about the problems... i remind myself that when my prayer is answered and i come across these problems, i will just look towards the lord and he will deliver me... after that, i have actually got infant jesus prayer handed to me (yesterday) out of the blue... i think that god wants to grant every wish of ours but he wants us to prepare ourselves to receive it first!! the lady even prayed over me and this was after i prayed to Jesus that if there was no hope of reconciliation, please do not manifest yourself to me... so this has really helped me...
That's awesome...

My friend said when he was in high school (when he immigrated to the States), he prayed the rosary to go back to his home country. But because he stayed in the States, he became a lawyer, and now works back in his country and has it made in the shade because he is nearly perfectly bilingual (at a legal level, this is difficult). And he met his wife. None of this would have happened if he didn't go to America as a high schooler...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Nov 4, '06, 4:27 am
puzzleannie puzzleannie is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: September 7, 2004
Posts: 37,470
Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: St Therese and the smell of roses

Many times over the years I have received some kind of sensible or visible sign that my prayers have been heard, most of the time I do not. That does not mean my prayers have not been answered, it means that all my prayers have been answered, both those made directly to God and those through the intercession of Mary and the Saints, but in God's time and in accord with His will and design, not according to my will. Just because I have not been aware of or receptive to His communications to me does not mean they have not occurred, it means that for the most part I am deaf, dumb and blind to messages from heaven.

I have two "roses" stories. Little daughter of a neighbor, a lady raised Catholic who totally turned her back on the faith, sent her child to parochial school with my kids, although I warned her they would teach her lots of stuff that went against the family practice. Daughter came home full of story of St. Theresa and the roses, and said she prayed that a beloved family friend who had helped to raise her would come back. Mother explained the tale was only a pious legend, and the friend could not come back due to her job. Next day a rose appeared on the doormat (we never knew where it came from, my kids denied all knowledge) and the beloved friend came home that weekend for a lengthy visit. AFter 20 years after this event, and 30 years after she left the Church, this neighbor has abandoned her destructive lifestyle and is taking instructions for Confirmation and returning to the Church. Daughter has always remained Catholic and practiced the faith, in defiance of her mother's teaching.

We prayed in our cenacle for a member (named Theresa) with cancer that she be healed or else through her trials be soon united with God. She did die after great suffering, and after her funeral her husband gave us several of her rosaries. When we opened the box the smell of roses from one rose-scented rosary was overpowering.
__________________
Whatever the Lord pleases He does, on heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps. Ps. 135
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Nov 4, '06, 7:22 am
Dorothy Dorothy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 8,303
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: St Therese and the smell of roses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish View Post
I've prayed to St. Therese without any kind of answer ... roses or just the smell of roses. I even ended up asking her if she could hear me .... no response.
We don't have to torture ourselves by seeking signs. Not having a "sign" does not mean that the prayer was not heard. When God is silent he wants our faith in Him to grow, in spite of circumstances.

I remember reading that sometimes we get a "thorn" instead of a rose, but to remember that it is still part of a rose.

May all of us increase in faith and wisdom!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Nov 4, '06, 7:28 am
Polish Polish is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 21, 2006
Posts: 141
Default Re: St Therese and the smell of roses

Thank you Dorothy. You're right - thanks for the encouragement.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Nov 4, '06, 7:33 am
Dorothy Dorothy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 8,303
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: St Therese and the smell of roses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish View Post
Thank you Dorothy. You're right - thanks for the encouragement.
You're welcome! God bless...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Nov 4, '06, 3:24 pm
ss828 ss828 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: November 3, 2006
Posts: 50
Default Re: St Therese and the smell of roses

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSN View Post
Interesting story. I also prayed to get back together with my ex. I thought I got a lot of indirect signs as well. Like you, in a span of two days, I saw roses everywhere -- in a moped scooting right past me with a front basket full of roses (who does this?). Hundreds of rose petals on the street in a patch of about 6 feet by 3 feet (where from?). Dried roses on the wall of a bar (rare in a bar...).

Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out. While you were able to get back into his front door, she came out to tell me "I hate you" twice...

I was sad, not because of rejection per se, but because it was like talking to a stranger. Like the girl I loved was gone.

But my sadness only lasted 36 hours. Know why? I still have hope. My friends told me I'm going off the deep end, and people here tell me do God's will, not mine. But at the same time, we are supposed to have faith, to believe like children, and to hope. Hope is a beautiful thing !

Anyway, the reason I said this is interesting is because yellow roses have significance. I asked for signs to be yellow roses, because yellow was her favorite color. So today at mass, there were bright yellow roses everywhere. Not a big deal, but notable. And then I read your mail, and you spoke of yellow roses. Again, not a big deal, but interesting...

I hope everything works out for you.

I hope everything works out for me.
Hi CSN,

I hope things work out for you too.

My ex and I have remained quite friendly for 2 people who broke up after almost 3 years of being together...I am ready and willing to accept God's will- no matter whether that means a reconciliation or not.

Right now all I want is for the situation to be resolved. But it really never hurts to ask the Lord for what you want- but always with the understanding that you must accept his Will.

I always prayed, but when things got really tough after the break up, I started to get more and more into my faith- my faith in God was just a place of solace for me. Now, prayer is a requisite before I got to sleep...and I look forward to just "talking" to God and the Saints. I feel a sense of relief- to just get all my innermost thought and feeling out into the open!

Take care, and keep the faith!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old May 18, '07, 4:37 pm
sacredcello's Avatar
sacredcello sacredcello is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 9, 2007
Posts: 703
Religion: Catholic convert
Default Re: St Therese and the smell of roses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss828 View Post
Hi,

I began asking St. Therese for her intercession 2 months ago. I've been praying for a reconciliation of my relationship, asking her to pray to the Lord that my ex and I could find our way back to eachother. I am ready and willing to accept God's will, even if that means we don't reconcile- but it never hurts to make known your requests to the Lord, so I continue to pray for that special intention. I saw many improvements in my situation when I started praying. I also asked St. Claire, St. Jude, Scared Heart, St. Expedite for assistance.

I saw roses on TV and rose bushes, but never actually got a physical rose or the scent of a rose- but I always knew she was hearing my prayers, because I was praying with a pure and open heart- hoping that all the fears, insecurities and obstacles that drove my ex and I apart will be healed.

This Monday I visited my ex at his house. As I walked in the front door, I saw a single rose on his window sill. I took a double take. I had been praying for the reconciliation of our relationship for so long- and the day I visit his house (first time I'd been back in months), I saw a rose on his window sill! Seemed weird. I also had dreamt a dozen yellow roses the night before- and in my dream I remember saying- "St. Therese has sent me my own roses- she hears me". So I thought may be it was a coincidence- may be roses were on my mind and that's why I dreamt them- and may be it was a coincidence that there was a rose at his house.

Well when I got home from our visit, I checked my email. And I got a message from an old friend who I hadn't heard from for a long time- the email was about St. Therese, and there was a picture of roses in it and a prayer. I was floored, I was now certain that even though she didn't send me my own roses- this was her way of saying- "I hear you, keep praying".

If there was any doubt in my mind about her power and her caring, all doubt was erased. I saw 3 sets of roses in 24 hours- and previously I only saw them on tv...I was so happy, renewed with faith and relaxed on Monday. I am still a bit sad- that we haven't yet reconciled, but I know the Lord is working on it. The answer to my prayers may be a reconciliation, it may not be a reconciliation, it may even mean waiting longer- but I know regardless of the outcome- my prayers are being heard.

So no I never really got the scent of roses- but her roses are really the comfort and faith you get from praying...so it's not necessarily a physical thing.

I have gained so much since I started to pray-!!!!! Her roses were just a validation...so for 2 months I prayed with no roses of my own- you just have to be patient they show up either in the literal or figurative form!!!!!!!!!!
Dear ss828,

Thanks so much for sharing your story about the shower of roses from St. Therese. Isn't she amazing?

I, too, having been praying for a reconciliation with my ex, and for his conversion (he was raised Catholic, but has turned away from the faith). I have prayed and fasted for months and St. Therese keeps giving me roses in the most astonishing ways, both literally and figuratively. One example....a new tax advisor at the office where I go to have my taxes done (a place recommended by my ex) this year....her name is Theresa Rose. No kidding.

Anyway, I still pray for st. Therese's intercession, but I am less hopeful about the reconciliation with my ex. I still would like it to happen, but I have resigned myself to God's will. All of this has taken place in the last three months.

I noticed that your posting was dated November of last year, and wondered if you have an update?

Perhaps others like me could receive some hope from your story or wisdom from the lessons learned.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8339Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: svid2
5085CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: mountee
4399Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: FootStool
4036OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: aellis422
3857SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3657Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: DesertSister62
3267Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3237Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3218Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: memphian
3083For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: tammany



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:51 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.