Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Nov 11, '06, 2:00 pm

Religion: catholic
Default Why do Baptists hate Catholics?

I guess my question says it all. I always find Baptists to have a deep hatred toward the Catholic Church. Why so? I thought their big break was with the Church of England or the Methodists, a coupla centuries ago in England.
Old Nov 11, '06, 2:03 pm

Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
Default Re: Why do Baptists hate Catholics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxply View Post
I guess my question says it all. I always find Baptists to have a deep hatred toward the Catholic Church. Why so? I thought their big break was with the Church of England or the Methodists, a coupla centuries ago in England.
Well I used to attend a Baptist Church with a friend when I was younger and didn't heed my Catholic faith very much. I think the reaosn they seem to dislike Catholics is because we seem to be the opposite of their religion.

Especially in the case of ultra-calvinist fundamentalist Baptist sects. Almost all of their beleifs are looked on as heresies by the Catholic Church.

However both sides (the Baptist and the Catholic) have taken a lighter tone towards eachother in the spirit of "ecumenism".
Old Nov 11, '06, 2:04 pm

Religion: FC Methodist

Quote:
The Baptists under Smyth broke from the Church of England in 1609.
I don't know why they hate Catholics or even if they do
I would say that maybe some do and most don't. I have had plenty Baptists make fun of us Methodists for "Sprinkling little babies" which is something they (Baptists) find ridiculous and something which we Methodists do.
WP

ScotWatch International
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scotwatch/
Old Nov 11, '06, 2:07 pm

Quote:

Well I don't think they hate Catholics, as your thread title would have us think. I do think though, that when they look at what we believe, it does leave them with a distasteful feeling in their mouth. The reason is probably the same reason that many Catholics look at the Baptist faith with slight distaste. We are both very devout in our beliefs, but we have some major differences. I don't think many on either side find this as a reason to hate though.
Old Nov 11, '06, 2:14 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin42 View Post
Well I don't think they hate Catholics, as your thread title would have us think. I do think though, that when they look at what we believe, it does leave them with a distasteful feeling in their mouth. The reason is probably the same reason that many Catholics look at the Baptist faith with slight distaste. We are both very devout in our beliefs, but we have some major differences. I don't think many on either side find this as a reason to hate though.
My bestest bud is a Baptist. I went to her baptism a few years ago, and she has returned the favour by attending an Ash Wednesday Mass with me.

She was a little uncomfortable (somewhat understandably) with the Hail Mary being said after Mass, and we disagree about a fair few things. There's never, however, been any hatred of course, and very little mockery of beliefs of any kind (and what little there has been, I have to confess, has gone both ways )
Old Nov 11, '06, 2:25 pm

Hehe. I have secretly been really wanting to take one of my friends (who is Baptist) to our Easter Vigil service this upcoming year. It's the best mass of the year in my opinion, and I want her to see the Church at its best if she goes.

But yes, we have discussed several different issues that we don't agree on. It can get a little tense at time, but we've never let it cause problems between us.
Old Nov 11, '06, 2:50 pm

To answer the OP:
For the Baptist that hate Catholics (and they do exist, I live in a Babtist dominated city and I have to tell you that I get anomosity from them), much of it stems from lies, misconceptions, half truths, and misguided myths told to them by anit-Catholics like Jack Chick.
Old Nov 11, '06, 2:57 pm

Religion: roman catholic

I was raised in a Baptist family and extended family (including ministers).

Good Baptists love Jesus Christ with all their heart and soul and try to make Him the most important person in their lives.

They're convinced He is the answer to all of the world's problems and sorrow.

They're also convinced that the Catholic Church's teachings of Christ are the opposite of the real Jesus.

Basically, we Catholics are attacking a loved one.
Old Nov 11, '06, 3:09 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
well I am surrounded by Baptists here, although we outnumber them here in the Valley, they are a majority in this state, and I deal with many youth ministers and pastors in a professional capacity, and of course have many Baptist neighbors and friends, not to mention relatives on both sides of my family for generations. I never met one who expressed overt hatred toward Catholics and the Catholic Church. I know plenty who misunderstand Catholic teaching, and hate practices they attribute to Catholics which in their minds go against the Bible, but I think sweeping generalizations like that in OP should be avoided, and are worse than useless for discussion in a forum like this.
Old Nov 11, '06, 3:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin42 View Post
Hehe. I have secretly been really wanting to take one of my friends (who is Baptist) to our Easter Vigil service this upcoming year. It's the best mass of the year in my opinion, and I want her to see the Church at its best if she goes.

But yes, we have discussed several different issues that we don't agree on. It can get a little tense at time, but we've never let it cause problems between us.
This desire is understandable by us Catholics but, Trust me, it may not be a good idea, Because...

My entire family (except me and my youngest son and a daughter-in-law) are Baptists. I thought how wonderful it would be for them to attend the BEST Mass of the year with all it's ancient ritual and scripture - lots and lots of scripture. The lighting of the Easter candle, the baptisms, confirmations and First Holy Eucharist - how wonderful for them to witness how our faith has preserved the way the early christians used to worship!!! After all, that's what Baptists seem to harp on - is getting back to how the early christians worshipped, right?

Well, it was a bomb!!! They did not "get it!" I couldn't believe it, I was stunned! I didn't know what to say.

So, it may be a disappointment for you and boring and too long for them. I won't ask them to come again.
Old Nov 11, '06, 4:04 pm

Quote:
Most of it is fear of the unknown. The Baptists I know (including the Baptist church I attened in the past) arent big on Theology and in depth Bible study and stuff and are more inclined to simplistic concepts. For example though the Bible warns against getting drunk they have a fear of alcohol, Im not kidding, just opening a beer infront of them makes them uneasy and causes them to distrust you. Another thing is the word "Catholic", you mention that your a Catholic to them and their mind causes them to tune you out as if the devil were speaking to them.
Old Nov 11, '06, 4:24 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

Yes, a friend of mine went on a Baptist Forum and was booted off because he said he was Catholic in the questionare. He wanted to go on to defend our faith so he lied and said he was Baptist again. They let him in but not without the question "Do you think you'll be saved, and if so how"? Well he said "By the blood of Jesus Christ", they let him in. When he talked about Catholisism and the next time he went to log on, there was a big sign that read "BANNED FOREVER, HE IS A CATHOLIC TROLL". Geez, a little extreme I would say. See, they won't let the world in because they are afraid people will leave their church if they know other avenues. All you can do is pray for them.
Old Nov 11, '06, 6:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella5110 View Post
He wanted to go on to defend our faith so he lied and said he was Baptist again. All you can do is pray for them.
So he lied, huh? A fine way to begin defending the Catholic faith.
Old Nov 11, '06, 6:58 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic, Latin (Roman) Rite

from Bishop Sheen:

There are not but 100 people in the United States who hate the Church..... but there are millions who hate what they think the Church stands for (words to that effect)
Old Nov 11, '06, 6:59 pm
Banned

Religion: LDS

Quote:
The Baptists hate everybody! They hate the human race!

zerinus
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions