Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Nov 14, '06, 7:56 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Default Holy Oil use by lay persons

I wasn't sure if this was the right forum for this since this Holy Oil is a sacramental not a sacrament.

I have received a vial of blessed olive oil for use by lay people. This is NOT the same oil as is used in the Church for liturgical purposes, like Baptism, Confirmation or the Anointing of the Sick. One of the sources I found on the internet stated that while it is acceptable for lay people to bless (not anoint) others with this oil, certain blessings approved by the Church need to be used. I cannot find these prayers/blessings and I was wondering if anyone here could help me.

I presume that the need for the approved prayers/blessings is to avoid inadvertantly using terminology reserved for the ordained such as, "'I anoint you with this oil...", which power is given on ordination.
Old Nov 14, '06, 8:09 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Holy Oil use by lay persons

The laity may use blessed oil (for example St. Joseph's Oil, St. Anne's oil, St. Philomena's oil or simple blessed oil) to bless sick ones. However this is not the sacrament. only a priest may administer the anointing of the sick and use the proper rite. Laity can make up any prayer or just say the sign of the cross when using a blessed oil. I personally use blessed oils from various shrines to anoint sick people and myself.
Old Nov 14, '06, 11:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Marie View Post
I wasn't sure if this was the right forum for this since this Holy Oil is a sacramental not a sacrament.

I have received a vial of blessed olive oil for use by lay people. This is NOT the same oil as is used in the Church for liturgical purposes, like Baptism, Confirmation or the Anointing of the Sick. One of the sources I found on the internet stated that while it is acceptable for lay people to bless (not anoint) others with this oil, certain blessings approved by the Church need to be used. I cannot find these prayers/blessings and I was wondering if anyone here could help me.

I presume that the need for the approved prayers/blessings is to avoid inadvertantly using terminology reserved for the ordained such as, "'I anoint you with this oil...", which power is given on ordination.
I think it would be better not to use this oil.

In its official liturgy oil is used by ordained ministers, but not by lay ministers. For example in the Rite of Baptism for Children, if a priest or deacon does the baptism there is an anointing with oil. But if a lay catechist does it, "151. The anointing with chrism is omitted." (The Rites Volume One, Liturgical Press, 1990, ISBN: 0-8146-6015-0, page 429). There is a ceremony of Anointing of the Catechumens, which can be led by priest or a deacon. Lay ministers can bless the catechumens, but not anoint them. (RCIA, USA n. 98).

There are fairly strict rules on the blessing of oils, for example:
"In virtue of the law itself the following may bless the oil for use in the anointing of the sick:
a. those who are the equivalents in law to a diocesan bishop;
b. in the case of necessity, any priest, but only within the celebration of the sacrament."
(Blessing of Oils and Chrism, n. 8, The Rites Volume Two, Liturgical Press, 1991, ISBN: 0-8146-6037-1, page 330).

There is no ceremony in the liturgical books for a "Blessing of oil for use by lay people".

So I suggest using the official blessings in "The Book of Blessings". Many of these are in the more affordable "Catholic Household Blessings and Prayers" ISBN 1555862926. It also contains some of the prayers for the sick in the liturgical book "Pastoral Care of the Sick".
Old Nov 14, '06, 11:33 pm

It is a very old pious practice to bring home oil from the lamps burning in front of a particular shrine... I have two small bottles that I've gotten here in NYC, one from the St. Pio shrine at the Capuchin Monastery, and one from the shrine of St. Anthony.

It's not intended to mimick the oil used in Extreme Unction, but simply to be used in faith, especially along with prayers to the Saint from whose shrine it comes. It's the same as blessing yourself or your child with holy water. It's perfectly fine to use it.
Old Nov 15, '06, 3:54 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

in this diocese the bishop has asked (I don't know if it came in the form of a direct order or prohibition) the lay faithful, especially those in leadership positions, not to use oil in prayer groups, healing prayers etc. because of a lot of abuse. Evidently his advisors feel that many people have lost the understanding of oils blessed by the bishop, sacrament of anointing, and other sacramental use of holy oils. He has also make the Chrism Mass much more of an event, more publicized, laity from all parishes invited etc. to highlight the importance of the "official" blessed oils.

There seems to be widespread confusion about the efficacy of ordinary "holy oil", i.e. blessed by a priest, from a shrine etc. vs. the chrism and oils blessed at the Chrism Mass by the Bishop.

Another problem was popular local shrines and pilgrimage sites selling so-called holy oils, which has also been forbidden.
Old Nov 15, '06, 7:27 am

Religion: Catholic (Latin)

The Book of Blessings (chapter 37, n. 1185e, USA) does provide a formula for the blessing of oil, which reads in part, "May all who use this oil [in honor of Saint N.] be blessed with health of mind and body." The formula is silent about who might use this oil, the sick person or others who would apply it to the sick person. Priests and deacons have the power to conduct the blessing.

However, the introduction makes it clear that careful catechesis about the correct understanding of the nature of the blessing is needed as well as historical accuracy about the saint to which the oil might be attached devotionally.

Still, confusion can easily arise in the minds of the faithful between the liturgy of the Church and private devotions or practices. Even I am aware of such confusion and abuse regarding the use of oils by the laity in various circumstances.

Since the diocesan bishop has the authority and duty to oversee liturgy in his diocese, he would more than seem to have the right to restrict the use of such oils when, in his diocese and in his judgement, their use invites confusion or abuse.

Apart from that, it would be a matter of prudent judgement and cautious catechesis lest the use of blessed oil seem to suggest the administration of a Sacrament rather than a sacramental to the faithful, or even uninformed non Catholic onlookers.

The Directory on Popular Piety and the Liturgy from the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments (2001) offered principles and guidelines regarding the careful distinction between the liturgy of the Church and private devotions or practices.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/co...ttorio_en.html

I do think that laity who minister to the sick, either because of some mandate from the Church or because of a sick friend or relative, would do well to receive some formation and guidance from the Church.

Do all that has to be done without complaining or arguing and then you will be innocent and genuine, perfect children of God among a deceitful and underhand brood, and you will shine in the world like bright stars. Philippians 2:14-15
Old Nov 15, '06, 4:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron_lansing View Post
The Book of Blessings (chapter 37, n. 1185e, USA) does provide a formula for the blessing of oil, which reads in part, "May all who use this oil [in honor of Saint N.] be blessed with health of mind and body." The formula is silent about who might use this oil, the sick person or others who would apply it to the sick person. Priests and deacons have the power to conduct the blessing. ...
Thanks. I was wrong in writing above: "There is no ceremony in the liturgical books for a "Blessing of oil for use by lay people"."

In my edition of Book of Blessings it is in Chapter 59, n. 1795e (Book of Blessings, Liturgical Press, Minnesota, 1989, ISBN 0-8146-1875-8, page 673).

This prayer of blessing of the oil is unique to the USA edition:
"God of compassion, mercy, and love,
in the midst of the pain and suffering of the world
your Son came among us
to heal our infirmities and soothe our wounds.
May all who use this oil (in honor of Saint N.)
be blessed with health of mind and body.
Grant this through Christ our Lord."

In the Latin edition the blessings are more general. (De Benedictionibus, Liberia Editrice Vaticana, 1993, ISBN 880118994, page 441.) I think the oil is grouped with wine and salt.

I am not aware of a Roman Catholic liturgical book with a ceremony for lay people to use oil. So I suggest using the oil in other forms of prayer with the sick (in the USA).

The introduction to this blessing has:
CHAPTER 59: ORDER FOR THE BLESSSING OF FOOD OR DRINK OR OTHER ELEMENTS CONNECTED WITH DEVOTIONS
INTRODUCTION
1781 On the occasion of a feast or season of the liturigical year or in honor of Mary or other saints, it si customary in some places to celebrate a rite for the blessing of food or drink (for example bread, water, wine, oil) or other articles that the faithful devoutly present to be blessed. In such a celebration parish priests (pastors) are to ensure that the faithful have a correct understanding of the true meaning of the blessing. ..." ((Book of Blessings, Liturgical Press, Minnesota, 1989, ISBN 0-8146-1875-8, page 667).
Old Nov 15, '06, 5:53 pm

I thought the oil was supposed to be whale oil. It is the best oil for anointing.
Old Nov 15, '06, 11:11 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

The oil I have was blessed by a priest with the prayers that make it appropriate for use by lay persons. I was just worried that, in making up my own blessing when I use the oil, I might inadvertantly use words that imply the power of priesthood or in some other way imply to the recipient that the oil itself has healing powers.

As with all sacramentals, the healing power is dependent upon faith.

The article said that the Church-approved prayer to be used when blessing people with the oil was very beautiful. (just send $$$ and we'll tell you) Perhaps I should write a blessing and ask my parish priest to approve it so that I am sure I'm not overstepping myself.

Again, thank you all.
Old Nov 17, '06, 5:28 am
Forum Elder

just had a diocesan meeting on our new synodal legislation governing sacraments. There is no such thing as "holy oil" except those specific oils consecrated by the bishop at the Chrism Mass for anointing priests, catechumens, confirmandi, newly baptized and the sick. They may only be used by a priest during the appropriate rites. Blessing of any other oils by a priest is prohibited, and use of any other oils in a "healing service" is specifically prohibited. This section comes under the discussion of the sacrament of anointing of the sick, and addresses many abuses in the diocese concerning so-called healing services, healing Masses and private prayer groups where so-called oils are used. No pastor or rector of an church, oratory or shrine may bless so-called oils (which has been past practice). No lay person may bless persons or objects with oil.

also prohibited is any lay person blessing a person or object with holy water (except blessing oneself or one's child), signing another person, etc. (except where specified in liturgical rites, such as baptism, rite of acceptance etc.).. Specifically prohibited is the practice of blessing a person during the time of distribution of communion. that is the time for communion, no other blessing or practice is part of the rite at that time. EMHCs are specifically prohibited from offering any type of blessing.

this is particular law of the diocese, not guidelines or suggestions.
Old Nov 17, '06, 1:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
just had a diocesan meeting on our new synodal legislation governing sacraments. There is no such thing as "holy oil" except those specific oils consecrated by the bishop at the Chrism Mass for anointing priests, catechumens, confirmandi, newly baptized and the sick. They may only be used by a priest during the appropriate rites. Blessing of any other oils by a priest is prohibited, and use of any other oils in a "healing service" is specifically prohibited. This section comes under the discussion of the sacrament of anointing of the sick, and addresses many abuses in the diocese concerning so-called healing services, healing Masses and private prayer groups where so-called oils are used. No pastor or rector of an church, oratory or shrine may bless so-called oils (which has been past practice). No lay person may bless persons or objects with oil.

also prohibited is any lay person blessing a person or object with holy water (except blessing oneself or one's child), signing another person, etc. (except where specified in liturgical rites, such as baptism, rite of acceptance etc.).. Specifically prohibited is the practice of blessing a person during the time of distribution of communion. that is the time for communion, no other blessing or practice is part of the rite at that time. EMHCs are specifically prohibited from offering any type of blessing.

The use of holy water by lay people in at least one blessing should be encouraged, according to the Directory on Popular Piety and the Liturgy:

"Blessing of the Family Table
150. ... Among the pious exercises connected with Easter Sunday, mention must be made of the traditional blessing of eggs, the symbol of life, and the blessing of the family table; this latter, which is a daily habit in many Christian families that should be encouraged
(Footnote 155: Cf. RITUALE ROMANUM, De Benedictionibus, Ordo benedictionis mensae, cit., 782-784, 806-807.)
, is particularly important on Easter Sunday: the head of the household or some other member of the household, blesses the festive meal with Easter water which is brought by the faithful from the Easter Vigil."

The full text is at http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/co...ttorio_en.html .

Footnote 155 is referring to Book of Blessings, n. 1030-1032, 1054-1055.

The use of holy water in blessings by the laity is permitted by the liturgical book "Book of Blessings".

Chapter 11 has the Order for the Blessing of a New Home. It may be led by a layperson. It requires the use of holy water:
"675. After the prayer of blessing, the minister sprinkles those present and the new home with holy water and, as circumstances suggest, during the sprinkling may say: Let this water call to mind our baptism into Christ, who has redeemed us by his death and resurrection." (Book of Blessings, Liturgical Press, Minnesota, 1989, ISBN 0-8146-1875-8, page 242).

The Book of Blessings also permits the use of holy water by lay people in:
Chapter 1, the blessing of families and members of families (n. 59).
Chapter 21 blessing of the Various Means of Transportation (n, 869)
Chapter 24 blessing of tools or other equipment for work (n. 936)
Chapter 25 animals

There may be more.
Old Nov 19, '06, 11:43 pm

Quote:

You need to write a letter then about basically every shrine in NYC... the oil is just oil from the lamps that burn in front of shrines to specific Saints. Relics arent blessed either, but the faithful form pious practices regarding things pertaining to Saints and such, and their faith may heal them. People use these oils on themselves, and possibly on their children, they have nothing to do with healing services.

Also, one may not be permitted to bless certain objects with holy water, but to sprinkle an object or person with holy water, and ask God's blessing is perfectly acceptable and wonderful.
Old Nov 21, '06, 12:15 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPConover View Post
You need to write a letter then about basically every shrine in NYC... .
I don't need to write a letter to anyone. My responsibility is limited to the actions of catechists and others under my supervision, and we will be obeying the bishop on this matter. Folks in NYC can follow the directives of their bishop.

It is not necessary to quote an entire post to respond to one part of it, you can just delete the portions that are not relevant to your response, makes following the discussion much easier and less cluttered.
Old Nov 21, '06, 11:27 am

Quote:
I don't need to write a letter to anyone. My responsibility is limited to the actions of catechists and others under my supervision, and we will be obeying the bishop on this matter. Folks in NYC can follow the directives of their bishop.

It is not necessary to quote an entire post to respond to one part of it, you can just delete the portions that are not relevant to your response, makes following the discussion much easier and less cluttered.
So then why state so boldly that these directives are 'not guidelines or suggestions' as if the directive of your Bishop has any bearing on those of us outside his diocese? I don't think anyone ought to feel guilty about using such things just because your Bishop doesn't allow it. Comes off as a little arrogant...
Old Apr 14, '10, 9:29 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Question Re: Holy Oil use by lay persons

Today, I had oil blessed using the Roman Ritual, I could not find the blessing in other books of blessing.
Before I had this done I asked another priest and he refused because of an abuse he is not doing these kind of blessings. I gave him the details, e.g. prayer of blessing from Roman Ritual, not for anointing others but for personal use, oil bought at a Catholic giftshop. He told me to go to another priest, which I did and this priest did bless the oil using the Roman Ritual.
I find that many priests don't know about this blessing, of oil for use by the laity. Mainly because they had not been thought so in their seminary training, because of bias because of abuses, many books of blessing that they use in US seminary's ommit the prayer for blessing of oil for use by lay persons.

Does anyone know of the stance of the Catholic Church now about Blessed Oil for use by lay-people. I know about rules that forbit in in 1997, but I don't know of any rules in this day and age.

Andre

Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments