Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 16, '06, 4:44 am

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to salvereginadude Send a message via MSN to salvereginadude
Default Choosing Patron Saint

I'm currently enrolled in RCIA, and since we've started in October we were all asked to have in our minds who we'd like our patron Saint to be. But I was wondering, can we have more than one patron Saint? I've been torn between St. Philip and St. Augustine. St. Philip the Apostle, who shares my namesake, brought his friend Nathaniel to Jesus with the gentle invitation of, "Come and see" Recently, I've seen it as my mission to bring people my age who have fallen away from the Faith back to Christ by either words or actions. Also, St. Augustine, throughout his life struggled with some of the same problems I'm struggling with (if you can guess what I mean). But I'm so conflicted between the two but I think both would be perfect for me! Any suggestions?

-Psalm 122:1

Immaculate Heart of Mary, I put all my trust in you!
Old Nov 16, '06, 7:59 am

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to lotusblossom
Default Re: Choosing Patron Saint

I would talk to your RCIA leader about this. I've never heard of someone choosing more than one saint for their confirmation name, but some people name their children more than one first name and one middle name.
Old Nov 16, '06, 8:34 am

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite
Send a message via AIM to queen_anne78

My husband just finished RCIA and was baptised this past Easter (Praise God!). Anyways, he took St.Joseph as his patron, but this didn't matter in the grand scheme of RCIA.

Our priest, who taught the class, said that for RCIA it is not necessary for people to make a verbal statement about who their patron is, that is, you don't really get to pick a confirmation name in an official sense. As in...at the Easter Vigil, you're not going to be asked who your patron is. You are confirmed in your baptismal name, whereas if you were going through Confirmation as a young adult who had been raised Catholic, you get confirmed in a confirmation name, ( I was confirmed Audrey, after St Audrey, who is a rather obscure saint...anyways, I was like, 15. I picked her b/c I liked the name. whatev. I don't consider her my patroness, but she is my confirmation name). Does that make sense?

Father encouraged everyone to have a patron and to develop a devotion to their patron, and to ask that patron's special guidance in your time of formation. Anyways, I trust this priest and parish immensely...they are known throughout the diocese for their fidelity to Holy Mother Church. So with that said...having a great devotion to 2 different saints is totally cool....I love St. Anne (my name saint) and St. Giana (my chosen patroness) and I also just really like to rock out with St. Therese. Don't be limited!

Loving our little girl, Gianna Marie, born May 3 2007

Chillin' with my little man, Dominic Vianney, Jan. 10, 2010
Old Nov 16, '06, 3:05 pm

Religion: RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvereginadude View Post
I'm currently enrolled in RCIA, and since we've started in October we were all asked to have in our minds who we'd like our patron Saint to be. But I was wondering, can we have more than one patron Saint??

I don't see why not. Pope John Paul I took the unprecedented step of taking the names of 2 of his predecessors. Why couldn't some other Catholic take the name of two saints (instead of just 1) at an important spiritual milepost in their own life.
Old Nov 17, '06, 11:51 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

Can one choose Jesus to be a Patron Saint?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality