Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 16, '06, 7:31 am
Radio Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default What is the difference between worship and veneration?

How does one know if one has crossed over the line from venerating Mary and/or the Saints to a form of worship? Is it the action that is done, what is in the heart and mind while it is being done, or both?
"That they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be one in us, so that the world may know that you have sent me." John 17:21
Old Nov 16, '06, 7:53 am

Religion: catholic
Default Re: What is the difference between worship and veneration?

The quick answer is that we ask The Virgin and The Saints to "intercceed for us" i.e. pray to God for us. It fundementally is no different than asking another person to pray for you, except you use prayer as a communication tool to them through God's power.

Worship is praise, fidelity and requests to God himself, being he is the One True God and contains all power exclusivelly and recieves all prayer by his position as Creator of Existence.

This is my position.
Old Nov 18, '06, 8:24 pm
Radio Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Thanks for the reply. Saying "Hail Mary" and some other prayers could definitely be considered praise.

Perhaps it is worship if you prayed to Mary or the saints with the attitude that they could answer your requests apart from God.
"That they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be one in us, so that the world may know that you have sent me." John 17:21
Old Jul 26, '10, 1:28 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic

The answer lies in three words:

1. Dulia = the honor we give to the saints. We ask them for their intercession through their prayers and we honor them for being holy men and women who lived for Christ. An example of dulia would be "Oh holy saint Anthony, pray for me so that I may be as faithful to Christ as you were Amen."

2. Hyper dulia = the honor that we may give to the Virgin Mary alone. She is recognized as the greatest of all the saints in terms of her intercessory power and rank. Saying a Hail Mary is an example of hyper dulia.

3. Latria = the honor and adoration that is due to God alone. We recognize him as the creator of all things seen and unseen, as the savior of the world, and as the governor of the universe. An example of latria might be "Glory to God in the highest, Lord God heavenly king almighty God and father. We worship you, we give you thanks we praise you for your glory."

So if we were to give "Latria" to Mary or the saints, we would then be committing idolatry.
Old Jul 26, '10, 2:04 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Traditional Catholic(fssp)

Quote:
Originally Posted by milimac View Post
How does one know if one has crossed over the line from venerating Mary and/or the Saints to a form of worship? Is it the action that is done, what is in the heart and mind while it is being done, or both?
veneration is worship, there are two types of worship, veneration, and adoration, the one due to God alone is adoration,

i know worship seems to always be understood as like bowing before someone and professing your complete unworthiness, but really the word worship has become very very very misunderstood,
the word worship is a correlation of the word "Worth-ship", which means to acknowledge someones worth, so really it's not something due to God alone, the worship that is due to God alone, like i said, is adoration,
the difference between adoration and veneration is this - veneration is the honor we give to the saints who, by their intercession and example, help us to grow in virtue, it does not take away from the glory given to God because whatever good the saints possess is a gift from Gods bounty, they are venerated as sanctuaries of the Trinity, adopted children of the Father, brethren of Christ, faithful members of His Mystical Body, and temples of the Holy Ghost,

adoration is where we recognize God as the only one worthy of supreme honor because He is infinitely perfect and has supreme dominion over humans and the right to our total dependence,
so basically, He alone is recognized and acknowledged for all that we have and all that we are,
He also is the only one who we may give sacrifice to, and there are certain acts of the mind and will which we give to God alone that are expressed in certain appropriate prayers, postures of praise, and acts of reverence and sacrifice.

basically, you cross over from veneration to adoration when you give all glory and honor to someone other then God.

you said here -
Quote:
Perhaps it is worship if you prayed to Mary or the saints with the attitude that they could answer your requests apart from God.
that is exactly right, you understand it very well already.
so really the only thing i'm trying to explain is about the definition of worship...although i wouldn't go around telling everyone that we actually do worship the saints :3 only because i don't think they'd give me the time to properly explain it like i'm able to here.

ok well i hope this helps, take care.

"Prayer is the lifting of our hearts and minds to God. For no matter what we're saying, we're asking, "Do you love me?"
And no matter how He answers, He's saying, "Yes, I do."

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality