Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Will unrepentant Catholics who use artificial birth control go to Hell?
Yes, they will 87 15.82%
I have no way of knowing 391 71.09%
No, they won't 72 13.09%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 17, '04, 6:14 pm
Banned

Default Will Catholics who use artificial birth control go to Hell? ---POLL!

I hear that most Catholic couples use artificial birth control and still take communion. If they die unrepentant, will they go to Hell?
Old Aug 17, '04, 6:16 pm

Religion: Theravadan Buddhist
Default Re: Will Catholics who use artificial birth control go to Hell? ---POLL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDove
I hear that most Catholic couples use artificial birth control and still take communion. If they die unrepentant, will they go to Hell?
Is it a mortal sin? If it is, do they know it's a mortal sin?
Old Aug 17, '04, 6:37 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Will Catholics who use artificial birth control go to Hell? ---POLL!

Actually, it is wrong in itself to think that any human can know who is going to hell. Therefore it is wrong to ask this question to begin with.
Old Aug 17, '04, 6:41 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic, Latin (Roman) Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_McPherran
Actually, it is wrong in itself to think that any human can know who is going to hell. Therefore it is wrong to ask this question to begin with.
Thanks for giving the same answer I would have.

MrS
Old Aug 17, '04, 6:42 pm

Send a message via ICQ to CD4

I voted "no", but really meant to vote that I really didn't know...No one can know the mind of God....So, it would be presumptious of anyone to make any kind of judgement about who will and will not go to hell.....Except maybe Mother Teresa, and Pope John Paul II.

Let nothing disturb you
Let nothing affraight you
All things are passing;
God never changes.

St. Teresa of Avila
1515-1582
Old Aug 17, '04, 6:49 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic, Latin (Roman) Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD4
I voted "no", but really meant to vote that I really didn't know...No one can know the mind of God....So, it would be presumptious of anyone to make any kind of judgement about who will and will not go to hell.....Except maybe Mother Teresa, and Pope John Paul II.

Did THEY use birth control!!!!

Sorry, couldn't help it. Forgive me St Teresa and Your Holiness.

MrS
Old Aug 17, '04, 6:55 pm

Using contraception is a mortal sin and you could go to hell for it.

Taking communion unworthily is a mortal sin and you could go to hell for it.

Will a person who rapes and murders a small child go to hell??

I have no way of knowing that is up to God alone.

But any mortal sin that you die of without repenting could separate you from God forever.

-D
Old Aug 17, '04, 7:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcee
But any mortal sin that you die of without repenting could separate you from God forever.

-D

That made no sense.

Any mortal sin you haven't repented of when you die could seperate you from God forever....

Having a DUHHHH moment there

-D
Old Aug 17, '04, 8:03 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_McPherran

Dear Greg,
So, would it be a mortal sin to ask this question, or merely a venial one???
Old Aug 18, '04, 12:01 am

I don't know if I would call it a sin. This is a Catholic forum with free speech. It's not like this question has to be taken seriously by anyone unless they choose to.

However, we must be careful because if we truly think that we can say the eternal destiny of someone, then we are in error. If the error is simply a mistake then it's not much of a sin if any. However, if we knowingly claim to have power like this that belongs to God alone then that is sin and can be very serious. I don't think you intended this question that way, but I am pointing out that this thread is not a good path to be on.

In fact, you are probably a Catholic who is offended by the state of affairs with the Catholic people regarding contraception and other Church teachings. I imagine many like myself are deeply hurt and weary of the Catechism saying one thing and the typical Catholic practice being another.

You posed the question in the wrong way. Perhaps you could pose the question this way:

"Do you think Catholics who knowingly use artificial contraception against Church teaching should repent and cease this practice?"

I would say "yes".

I am afraid many priests accept artificial contraception or at least do not teach strongly against it when asked.

This would lead to my next question:

"Do you think that any priests who tell Catholics that artificial contraception is not a grave sin or is OK etc., should be corrected by their bishop?"

I would say "yes".

The scary thought is: are there any bishops who would say "no"?

If all the bishops would say "yes" then why do so many priests seem to teach that artificial contraception is OK or at least not strongly condemn the practice of artificial contraception?

Last edited by Greg_McPherran; Aug 18, '04 at 12:13 am.
Old Aug 18, '04, 3:07 am

Send a message via ICQ to CD4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrS
Did THEY use birth control!!!!

Sorry, couldn't help it. Forgive me St Teresa and Your Holiness.

MrS
Guess I left myself open to that one. I ask forgiveness too of those two great people~

Let nothing disturb you
Let nothing affraight you
All things are passing;
God never changes.

St. Teresa of Avila
1515-1582
Old Aug 18, '04, 4:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaPS
Is it a mortal sin? If it is, do they know it's a mortal sin?
I think you mean, "Is it a grave matter?" Because part of the conditions of a mortal sin is sufficient knowledge or reflection.

1. Grave matter
2. Sufficient Refection
3. Full consent of the will

Although, I agree that no one could know who is and is not in hell, there are some absolutes in the world. Like if you die in a state of mortal sin you will go to hell because death seals the state of the soul forever.

The question arises whether the person repented before their last breath; in which case they are not in a state of mortal sin.
Old Aug 18, '04, 4:23 am

[QUOTE=
"Do you think Catholics who knowingly use artificial contraception against Church teaching should repent and cease this practice?"

I think the question was simple and the answers have been wishy-washy.

Again, the person didn't ask if someone is in hell but that if a person dies in a state of mortal sin (e.g., using contraception) will they go to hell? Its a theological question.

Why should Catholics repent and cease this practice? Think it through.

Because it is against Church teaching. OK, why?

Because ultimately it is offensive to God and you will lose friendship with Him. And those who die apart from the friendship of God will lose their soul. (e.g., go to hell)

Not everyone who commits a mortal sin will go to hell; just those who die in this state.
Old Aug 18, '04, 5:14 am
Forum Elder

Your poll doesn't have the correct response selections. Sin requires full knowledge and will.

Catholics who *know* contraception is a mortal sin and use it willingly without remorse are in a state of mortal sin.

But, there are a large number of Catholics who lack either full knowledge or free will. In those situations, contraception is still wrong, but they are not necessarily committing a sin or a mortal sin.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Aug 18, '04, 9:03 am

Send a message via Yahoo to pittsburghjeff

The last poster has it right.

If you do not "know" (at least in a general sense) that something is a mortal sin, it is not a mortal sin.

An example would be a couple who is contracepting because their priest told them contraception was OK if they followed their conscience. Well, we all know that only a moron priest would say something like that. But the couple may not know. Amd there are priests out there who say such things. The couple did what they could - they sought guidance from the church - and got bad advice.

Now, even in that case contracepting is still sinful and will still hurt the marriage - but God would not send them to hell for that since they did not have full knowledge. Mortal sin requires full knowledge of the sin - a conscious decision to disobey God - on a matter of grave importance with full consent of the will.

Sexual sins are always grave. The only other issues are whether there is full knowlege and full consent.

One might lack full consent if she is contracepting because she is in an abusive relationship and her husband would beat her up if she did not contracept.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice