Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Aug 18, '04, 9:50 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Why can't Catholics get married outdoors?

I was talking about this subject with co-workers today, and I didn't have a good answer for them. Does anyone know the reason(s) why we have to get married inside a church?

Seth - 2/17/10

Sebastian - 9/10/12

Immaculata, 5/12/09
Old Aug 18, '04, 9:57 am
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic - Convert RCIA class of 1998
Default Re: Why can't Catholics get married outdoors?

Catholics recognize marriage as a sacrement, not just a romantic party. Why would one not want to celebrate a sacrement in a Church? A park or a beach can detract from the reverence. The Church is a special and holy place, the best place for a sacrement! After the wedding, there can be a party at any park or beach you want...
Old Aug 18, '04, 10:02 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (from the cradle)

Search on "outdoor weddings" for a thread that discussed this topic. I vaguely recall that this was also a topic in the "Ask an Apologist" forum.
Old Aug 18, '04, 11:01 am

Religion: Catholic

Cause the Church said so. End of discussion.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Tiber Swim Team of 1973.
Old Aug 18, '04, 11:21 am

Send a message via Yahoo to pittsburghjeff

We dont even have mass outdoors without special permission from the Bishop. I think it all has to do with the fact that we believe Christ is truly present in the Eucharist and it is not reverent to expose Christ to the elements.
Old Aug 18, '04, 11:35 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

The Church (all the people in it) form the mystical Body of Christ, whether they are "indoors" or "outdoors".

The church (building) is "God's home"--where we have the tabernacle, the Eucharistic Presence, where we come together to celebrate Mass (which is the sacrifice that He made for us, throughout eternity), and attendant sacraments, of which Matrimony is one. While God is present "everywhere", indoors and outdoors, the church building is considered "special". Think about the Ark of the Covenant and the Temple in Jerusalem. We are giving God a small portion of the honor and glory due to Him by establishing a special "house" for Him and celebrating there as His holy people.

So why wouldn't we "get married INDOORS", in God's holy church, AS His Holy Church? And then, yes, celebrate outdoors by all means, if it floats your boat (myself, give me either air-conditioned or centrally heated indoor comfort, s'il vous plait, far over and above wind, rain, heat, bugs, slugs, poison ivy, tree roots, mud, dirt, and other delights of nature).
Old Aug 18, '04, 1:36 pm

Marriage is a sacrament, and sacraments are normally celebrated in the sacred space set aside for the gathering of the local community: that is, in church.
Old Aug 18, '04, 2:31 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratusRose
I was talking about this subject with co-workers today, and I didn't have a good answer for them. Does anyone know the reason(s) why we have to get married inside a church?
Being that marriage is one of the 7 sacraments ordained and instituted by God, anything but the reverence this act deserves is much less~~~~~~

Beautiful as they are many weddings at the beach, in a beautiful hotel, wherever--somehow they always lack something in these environments--that being the presence, blessing of the One Holy God, the One who created marriage!!!!! This has to take place in the Lord's House! For it is one of the most important acts, sacraments, decisions and life-changing events anyone could ever undertake!!!!! And therefore it is only right for this glorious event to take place in THE house of the Almighty, the giver of Life, the joiner of two souls to become one.! Soooooo beautiful!
Old May 25, '10, 1:09 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: CATHOLIC

This subject never made any clear sense to me. Why can't Catholics get married outside with a priest. These are my thoughts on this whole siutation.

1) In the bible, Jesus says something about as long as theres two more more people present, I am there. So to me I would think that no matter where you want to get married, Jesus will be present for you to receive the sacrament on marriage.

2) Back in Christ's time, they did not have a church, so Jesus would worhship anywhere he possibly could, so once again why should it matter if you are in the church or on a beach.

3) I thought the Priest was a spiritual form of Christ, so if a Priest is present, so is the sacrament of Marriage.

Someone please help me understand why you cant get married by a catholic priest outdoors.
Old May 25, '10, 1:14 pm

Religion: agnostic w/ catholic leanings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAISERE85 View Post
This subject never made any clear sense to me. Why can't Catholics get married outside with a priest. These are my thoughts on this whole siutation.

1) In the bible, Jesus says something about as long as theres two more more people present, I am there. So to me I would think that no matter where you want to get married, Jesus will be present for you to receive the sacrament on marriage.

2) Back in Christ's time, they did not have a church, so Jesus would worhship anywhere he possibly could, so once again why should it matter if you are in the church or on a beach.

3) I thought the Priest was a spiritual form of Christ, so if a Priest is present, so is the sacrament of Marriage.

Someone please help me understand why you cant get married by a catholic priest outdoors.
Jesus never married anyone while on earth. He gave the keys to Peter, and let the church decide on these matters after he did what he needed to do. Did you want him to have to spell out all matters clearly for everyone? That job was left to the Bishops with Peter at the helm of the ship. There is room for everyone on the catholic ship, and if you don't like it you can bail ship.

Strawberry Fields Forever
Old May 25, '10, 1:22 pm

I've been to outdoor Christian weddings and found far too may distractions; Sun is too hot, breeze is too chilly, grass is too clumpy, decorations keep blowing around, kids are out of control, a DJ just isn't the same as a Pipe Organ, etc.; I'll take a church wedding anytime.
Old May 25, '10, 1:30 pm

Religion: Catholic (Joined 2005)

Quote:

Hi.

You've entered an older thread, but, since it's still open, let's review.

As a Catholic, we are beholden to specific rules for a valid marriage. Our bishops generally require us to marry within a Catholic church building because we are as close to God there (through the Holy Eucharist, which is always present except near Easter) than anywhere else.

A marriage is part of the seven Sacraments of the Church--important gifts from God that must be accepted in specific ways, such as baptism and confirmation.

As Jesus was a Jew, you can be sure that the wedding in Cana was done to Jewish norms of the time for a ceremony, although Scripture doesn't elaborate on it (why would Jesus attend a scandalous wedding?).

That's not to say that every Catholic must marry within their church. Couples can request a dispensation, or special exception, that allows them to marry outside in certain cases.

Most couples don't have a problem marrying inside. Many Catholic churches are low in cost to reserve if you are a member, and their interiors are extremely beautiful.

In a Catholic nuptial Mass, it's not the priest that marries the couple. The couple gives the Sacrament to each other. The priest is merely a witness to the pairing.

This link from the US Conference of Catholic Bishop's "For Your Marriage" website gives more detail as well as support in Scripture for these requirements.

"If I am not (in a state of grace), may God put me there; and if I am, may God so keep me." --St. Jeanne d'Arc

Old May 25, '10, 2:05 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:

Have you not read the Gospels? Jews indeed had, in Jesus' day as they do now, buildings set aside for purposes of formal public worship. They're called synagogues. If memory serves, people were married in those buildings as well, where possible. Just like our churches.

Jesus is recorded as attending the synagogue in His home town of Nazareth - and must have been a regular, as they invited Him to read the scripture there and preach (which they wouldn't have done for a stranger). The Apostles too are frequently recorded as going to synagogues in various places. Obviously because the easiest way to get to know the Jews of a particular town was to head for the one place they would all be guaranteed to gather on any given Sabbath - their synagogue.

Jesus and the Apostles (and others) are also frequently mentioned as attending at the Temple in Jerusalem, another building dedicated for formal public worship of God.

So no, Jesus did NOT just worship 'anywhere He possibly could'.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old May 25, '10, 4:23 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle
Beautiful as they are many weddings at the beach, in a beautiful hotel, wherever--somehow they always lack something in these environments--that being the presence, blessing of the One Holy God, the One who created marriage!!!!! This has to take place in the Lord's House!
I'd really like to read more about that. Can you tell me what verses say that weddings that are not in a church are not blessed by God? Is God omniscient, or is God confined to Catholic churches?

I'd really like to know this because we have a chapel out in the woods where my daughter wants to be married.
Old May 25, '10, 5:20 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Cause the Church said so. End of discussion.

The Church has said many things over the last 2000 years, and not all of it has been correct.

End of discussion? Are you kidding me?
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life