Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old May 4, '09, 7:05 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Default Tithing

My husband and I have always been active supporters of our Catholic church with our time, talents and financial giving. We have included our four sons in this as well. However, we are possibly moving to a new area which is a Tithing Parish and I do not know how this works. When a parish is tithing, do they request copies of our tax statements and bill us accordingly or is our weekly donation amount voluntary?
Old May 4, '09, 7:33 am

Default Re: Do we as Catholics have to pay the tithe?

I tithe and probably more if you count what I buy for my religious ed class and such. I figure it's better to error in God's favor. Yes, there are things that we do without that we want. But, there is nothing that we do without that we need.
Old May 4, '09, 10:40 am

Default Re: Tithing

Quote:
Originally Posted by crip64 View Post
we are possibly moving to a new area which is a Tithing Parish and I do not know how this works.
I never heard of this! It sounds wonderful! Even if only the very poor attended and
tithed, the church would soon become wealthy... If you or anyone else knows where
a "tithing parish" is, I would be very interested to find out...
Old Jan 10, '10, 4:06 pm

I give what i can afford to sacrifice and give of my time to the church. I thought that tithing was apart of the Livitical covenant. Why do so many pastors refer to Malachi, ie "shall a man rob God,"what other scriptures refer to this. I thought that particular tithe in the old testament always referred to cattle produce from the land and not money and there were at least four different tithes ie. festival tithe. People say that if you pay your tithe God will keep the devourer away or something like that but all of this doesn't add up. Some of the most wealthiest people on earth have never stepped a foot in the church door much less tithe while I know many people who tithe because their pastors implore them, as well as giving multiple offering and they are always broke or barley makes ends meet. Nevertheless, the Lord provides all things and our treasures should be stored in a better place.
Godbless
Old Jan 11, '10, 8:27 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!

Jimmy Akin of Catholic Answers on Tithe

"Now, tithing was required under the Old Law, and the Old Testament laws regarding tithing were rather complex (and somewhat unclear, at least from our latter-day perspective).

We, however, are not under the Old Law, and Christ chose not to repeat the law of tithing as part of the New Law. Instead, we are simply encouraged to give according to our means." --jimmy akin

read more in these links

http://www.jimmyakin.org/2006/02/tithing_giving_.html

http://www.jimmyakin.org/2005/01/tithing.html
Old Jan 12, '10, 5:54 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

The Old Testament discipline of tithing (along with all other disciplines of the Old Testament) has been dispensed by Christ.

The Council of Florence: "It [the holy Roman church] firmly believes, professes and teaches that the legal prescriptions of the old Testament or the Mosaic law, which are divided into ceremonies, holy sacrifices and sacraments [mysteries, not Sacraments per se], because they were instituted to signify something in the future, although they were adequate for the divine cult of that age, once our Lord Jesus Christ who was signified by them had come, came to an end and the Sacraments of the new Testament had their beginning."
Old Aug 29, '10, 6:39 am

Christ mentions tithing twice in the new testament but only to relate the fact that you cannot hide behind it. He says that you tithe on your herbs and spices (the lowest form of produce) but if you don't have faith and justice then tithing is not one of the "weightier" matters.
Old Oct 24, '10, 5:46 am

Interesting read on tithing. I was just having a friendly debate over this topic and couldn't help but notice that it caused a visible tension. There's just something about money, huh?

I was taught that 100% of everything belongs to God- that is before taxes. In his generosity, he returns 90% of it to me. That 10% is His and he keeps it for his purposes such as the church, the poor, the sick, the hungry, those in need. He entrusts me to deliver that 10% according to His will. Sometimes he puts a charity in front of me and they get 5% and the church 5%. That is how His 10% is directed to me to distribute.

After that, I am responsible for stewardship. Yes, that's right. I said AFTER tithing I am now responsible to give to the poor, the sick, the hungry, etc. Sounds downright terrifying, doesn't it? It's not. In fact, we don't miss a penny because God is never, never outdone in charity. Trust in Him and He takes care of everything. I was out of work with no unemployment insurance and nope, we didn't miss a thing. Do you think His law is meant not to deprive us of anything, but instead to help strip us of our love for worldly things?

I guess, when in doubt- go read the catechism and it spells it out very, very clearly. You may not always like the answer, but it is there to provide arbitration on these matters.

Pretty good resource: http://www.vatican.va/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a7.htm
Old Oct 24, '10, 8:47 am
Forum Elder

jimmy Akin of CA

Old Oct 24, '10, 3:10 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Informed, practicing RomanCatholic

Quote:
=ElCid;1697119]I just want to know if we were ever required to pay the tithe as described in the bible. And could you also differentiate it with the financial support we give to the church. Thank you.
Finicial support of the Chruch and in particular our Praish is a GRAVE responsibility.

This may or may not be exactly 10%. All are expected to give support; and God rewards in a GREAT way, those who give from "there want" not merely there surplus.

One may include all chairatble giving in determining how much to give.

http://working4christtwo.wordpress.com

A.B. Fulton Sheen: "The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it, and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it."
Old Oct 24, '10, 5:47 pm

Quote:

]Mark 12:41-44

[41] And Jesus sitting over against the treasury, beheld how the people cast money into the treasury, and many that were rich cast in much. [42] And there came a certain poor widow, and she cast in two mites, which make a farthing. [43] And calling his disciples together, he saith to them: Amen I say to you, this poor widow hath cast in more than all they who have cast into the treasury. [44] For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want cast in all she had, even her whole living.

No, Catholics don't have to tithe as under the Old Covenant. Jesus is calling us to a higher standard of sacrificial giving.

"May Mary, who bearing Jesus in her womb was the first living "tabernacle" of the Eucharist, communicate to us her same faith in the holy mystery of the Body and Blood of her divine Son, so that it may truly be the centre of our life."
--Pope Benedict XVI
Old Oct 30, '10, 6:05 am

To those who are saying that we do not have to tithe, I am sorry, but you are flat out wrong. That is not what the Catholic Church teaches. You are called to tithe AND a life of stewardship.

It can be an uncomfortable idea at first, but once you begin to take that first step, the fear goes away. Trust in Him and figure out exactly what it is in you that is presenting an obstacle to this teaching.

Please, please do not take my word for it. Maybe Fr. Larry can explain it better?

http://www.thereasonforourhope.org/online_order/cart_detail.php?productID=8
Old Oct 30, '10, 3:54 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieWatrs View Post
To those who are saying that we do not have to tithe, I am sorry, but you are flat out wrong. That is not what the Catholic Church teaches. You are called to tithe AND a life of stewardship.

It can be an uncomfortable idea at first, but once you begin to take that first step, the fear goes away. Trust in Him and figure out exactly what it is in you that is presenting an obstacle to this teaching.
This really is not the case...I understand where some confusion can come in here ..but it really is not the case..as one will find in the pages of the New Testament...as well as the Catechism of the Catholic Church...and Canon Law...

That one is required to tithe is NOT the teaching of the Catholic Church...nor her discipline.

Yes we are to give of our our means...yes we are to be good stewards...but the Catholic Church does NOT require a tithe.

But I am glad so many want to follow Christ who "loves a cheerful giver"...

Jimmy Akin the Senior Apologist of Catholic Answers explains here:

Be sure to read the detail...(there can be other norms by local Bishops)

and from a year earlier http://www.jimmyakin.org/2005/01/tithing.html

and from Catholic Answers:

“Q:
I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to be tithing. Is it 10 percent of my gross income or 10 percent of my net income?

A:

The obligation to tithe (i.e., to give 10 percent of one’s gross income) was binding only on the Jews. Jesus fulfilled the Mosaic law (Matt. 5:17), so even Jews are no longer bound by it. But this doesn’t mean we’re not obligated to support the Church—we are—but there is no longer a specific percentage required.

There is no mandatory requirement to give a specific amount of money or percentage of our income. We should each decide for ourselves how much to give and then do so in the true spirit of giving a gift."

http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/qui.../keyword/tithe

Last edited by Bookcat; Oct 30, '10 at 4:14 pm.
Old Oct 30, '10, 4:26 pm

Someone asked do Catholics have to tithe. The answer is yes by doctrine and by tradition. Again, I mean no disrespect to Jimmy or anyone else and I am certain this is a hot topic to no matter who hears it.

However, the doctrine is pretty clear.

Here is what the Catholic Catechism says:

2449 Beginning with the Old Testament, all kinds of juridical measures (the jubilee year of forgiveness of debts, prohibition of loans at interest and the keeping of collateral, the obligation to tithe, the daily payment of the day-laborer, the right to glean vines and fields) answer the exhortation of Deuteronomy: "For the poor will never cease out of the land; therefore I command you, 'You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor in the land.'"248 Jesus makes these words his own: "The poor you always have with you, but you do not always have me."249 In so doing he does not soften the vehemence of former oracles against "buying the poor for silver and the needy for a pair of sandals . . .," but invites us to recognize his own presence in the poor who are his brethren:250

Traditional teaching: The fifth precept (“You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church”) means that the faithful are obliged to assist with the material needs of the Church, each according to his own ability. (CCC 2042-2043)

I hope this helps.

Rosie
Old Oct 30, '10, 5:56 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieWatrs View Post
Someone asked do Catholics have to tithe. The answer is yes by doctrine and by tradition. Again, I mean no disrespect to Jimmy or anyone else and I am certain this is a hot topic to no matter who hears it.

However, the doctrine is pretty clear.

Here is what the Catholic Catechism says:

2449 Beginning with the Old Testament, all kinds of juridical measures (the jubilee year of forgiveness of debts, prohibition of loans at interest and the keeping of collateral, the obligation to tithe, the daily payment of the day-laborer, the right to glean vines and fields) answer the exhortation of Deuteronomy: "For the poor will never cease out of the land; therefore I command you, 'You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor in the land.'"248 Jesus makes these words his own: "The poor you always have with you, but you do not always have me."249 In so doing he does not soften the vehemence of former oracles against "buying the poor for silver and the needy for a pair of sandals . . .," but invites us to recognize his own presence in the poor who are his brethren:250

The fifth precept (“You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church”) means that the faithful are obliged to assist with the material needs of the Church, each according to his own ability. (CCC 2042-2043)

I hope this helps.

Rosie
Such is simply not the case. The Catholic Church DOES NOT require us to Tithe

(Nor will anyone be able to produce any document that says Catholics are! ..in fact the Documents of the Church state rather one is to give according to ones ability..not some set percent...some very rich may give 30% for all I know..)

(though Bishops in the US for example can establish particular norms in their area..or give recommendations etc)

When the Catholic Catechism says:

2449 Beginning with the Old Testament, all kinds of juridical measures (the jubilee year of forgiveness of debts, prohibition of loans at interest and the keeping of collateral, the obligation to tithe...

It is NOT saying that Christians are obligated to Tithe...such is not binding on Christians...nor is the abstaining from pork....or circumcision...(See St. Paul) ..the CCC us simply "recounting" how it was in Old Testament....

WE are Christians!

The Catechism does say though:

The fifth precept (“You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church”) means that the faithful are obliged to assist with the material needs of the Church, each according to his own ability. (CCC 2042-2043)

Amen!

and

Canon Law (Roman/Latin) issued by the Authority of the Pope:

Can. 222 §1. The Christian faithful are obliged to assist with the needs of the Church so that the Church has what is necessary for divine worship, for the works of the apostolate and of charity, and for the decent support of ministers.

§2. They are also obliged to promote social justice and, mindful of the precept of the Lord, to assist the poor from their own resources.

Can. 1262 The faithful are to give support to the Church by responding to appeals and according to the norms issued by the conference of bishops.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_INDEX.HTM

Last edited by Bookcat; Oct 30, '10 at 6:16 pm.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture