Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 7, '06, 7:30 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via MSN to bknebel
Default Gloria on Feast Days

Our parish held Holy Mass tonite for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception (vigil Mass) and our organist began the Gloria but Father interrupted her. Its my understanding that because its a Holy day of Obligation that there is to be a Gloria. Am I wrong?
Old Dec 7, '06, 7:35 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic - Latin Rite
Default Re: Gloria on Feast Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknebel View Post
Our parish held Holy Mass tonite for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception (vigil Mass) and our organist began the Gloria but Father interrupted her. Its my understanding that because its a Holy day of Obligation that there is to be a Gloria. Am I wrong?
Not sure. It was sung at my new parish this evening. Outside of Lent and Advent, yes. Within, I am not sure, but I would say probably.
Old Dec 7, '06, 7:57 pm

Religion: Catholic

The Gloria ought to have been used: It is sung or said on Sundays outside the Seasons of Advent and Lent, on solemnities and feasts, and at special celebrations of a more solemn character. From the General Instruction of the Roman Missal, #53.
Old Dec 7, '06, 8:58 pm
Banned

Send a message via AIM to LCMS_No_More Send a message via Yahoo to LCMS_No_More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animadversor View Post
The Gloria ought to have been used: It is sung or said on Sundays outside the Seasons of Advent and Lent, on solemnities and feasts, and at special celebrations of a more solemn character. From the General Instruction of the Roman Missal, #53.
Yep. This evening, the Mass was pretty much akin to a full-on Sunday Mass with Gloria, Creed, Prayer of the Faithful, etc. Also, lots of incense. It was heavenly!

Last edited by LCMS_No_More; Dec 7, '06 at 9:10 pm.
Old Dec 7, '06, 9:09 pm

Irrespective of whether it is right or wrong, the priest had no business embarrassing the organist like that. The Gloria is not "scheduled," shall we say, for any number of occasions, but the fact that it can be sung even on Sundays during Lent means that it is never, with the possibly sole exception of Good Friday, which is not a Mass in the first place, inappropriate.
Old Dec 7, '06, 11:40 pm

Quote:
The Gloria is required, but not because it is a Holy Day of Obligation. All Solemnities and Feasts are to include it, but not Memorials.

From the 2002 General Introduction to the Roman Missal (GIRM) which can be accessed from http://www.romanrite.com/girm.html :

"53. ... It is sung or said on Sundays outside the Seasons of Advent and Lent, on solemnities and feasts, and at special celebrations of a more solemn character."

The 2002 Roman Missal lists it specifically in the Mass for the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary on 8 December. It has in Latin: "Dicitur Gloria in excelsis." (Missale Romanum, Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 2002, ISBN: 8820972719, page 878.)
Old Dec 8, '06, 2:31 am

Quote:
The Immaculate Conception is the only day during Advent in which the Gloria is permitted because it is a Solemnity. The Gloria is only allowed to be said two times during Lent on the Solemnities of St. Joseph and the Annunciation of the Lord.
Old Dec 8, '06, 5:47 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via MSN to bknebel

Thanks, all!
Old Dec 8, '06, 7:44 am

Exclamation Re: Gloria on Feast Days

Quote:
The Immaculate Conception is the only day during Advent in which the Gloria is permitted because it is a Solemnity. The Gloria is only allowed to be said two times during Lent on the Solemnities of St. Joseph and the Annunciation of the Lord.
Our Lady of Guadalupe on 12 December is ranked as a feast throughout the Americas, including in the USA. The Gloria is to be said on that day, as well.

As for Lent, the feast of St. Peter's chair is on 22 February, which sometimes falls in Lent. When it does, the Gloria is said.
Old Dec 8, '06, 12:39 pm

Why is it sooooo hard for priests to get things right liturgically? I get so frustrated I can barely stand it.

Same thing at our Catholic high school mass this morning - no Gloria, no Creed on this beautiful Solemnity Mass Day.

I feel cheated since it's the only time during Advent that we have the Gloria. And since it's a high school, I'd love to join the students in professing the Creed.

But no . . . Father feels it slows down the Mass. Arghghgh!!
Old Dec 9, '06, 7:45 am

We had the opposite at Mass last night - the organist did not start the Gloria after we had sung the Kyrie - the priest looked up at the choir loft, then led the recitation of the Gloria while the organ remained silent.
Old Dec 9, '06, 10:53 am

Religion: Catholic (non-practicing atm)

When aren't you allowed to say Gloria?
Old Dec 9, '06, 12:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBoy200 View Post
When aren't you allowed to say Gloria?
We mean "the Gloria" the prayer beginning "Glory to God in the highest and peace to his people on earth ...".

From the 2002 GIRM n. 53: "It is sung or said on Sundays outside the Seasons of Advent and Lent, on solemnities and feasts, and at special celebrations of a more solemn character."

So generally it should not be said at Masses on:
-- Monday to Saturday.
-- Sundays in Lent and Advent

Except:
-- feast days of the rank Solemnity or Feast
-- "special celebrations of a more solemn nature".

This "special celebrations" gives extra flexibility to the priest. My understanding is that outside of Lent and Advent the priest would be free to include the Gloria during the week. The special celebration may be a wedding, feast of the rank Memorial or Mass with a particulary large congregation.
Old Dec 9, '06, 2:21 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lilburne View Post
We mean "the Gloria" the prayer beginning "Glory to God in the highest and peace to his people on earth ...".

From the 2002 GIRM n. 53: "It is sung or said on Sundays outside the Seasons of Advent and Lent, on solemnities and feasts, and at special celebrations of a more solemn character."

So generally it should not be said at Masses on:
-- Monday to Saturday.
-- Sundays in Lent and Advent

Except:
-- feast days of the rank Solemnity or Feast
-- "special celebrations of a more solemn nature".

This "special celebrations" gives extra flexibility to the priest. My understanding is that outside of Lent and Advent the priest would be free to include the Gloria during the week. The special celebration may be a wedding, feast of the rank Memorial or Mass with a particulary large congregation.
One of the feasts that are celebrated is the Immaculate Comception. Our priests wore white vestments, the Gloria was sung accompanied not only by an organ but with trumpets.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments