Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 11, '06, 11:21 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Warning about a children's book author!

My oldest son and I finished reading Eragon,by Christopher Paolini, and loved it. We couldn't wait to run out and by the sequel, Eldest.

Well, when I reached page 440 of Eldest the warning bells went off. Eragon, the main character, is taught that "when the flesh is destroyed, so is the soul" and that there is no eternal life.

Later in the book, pages 541 - 544, Christopher Paolini pulls out a multitude of atheist arguments to explain to Eragon how the superior race of elves do not worship anything because there is no god. Four pages of discussion, back and forth, with Eragon, the 16 year old human boy, playing the part of the confused theist, and Oromis, the incredibly ancient and wise elf, part of the superior race, patiently explaining the atheists arguments.

How dare Christopher Paolini drag out this athiest agenda in a CHILDREN'S BOOK! I wish I could post the excerpts, but I think that it would infringe on the copywrite. My family will NOT be purchasing the third book of the trilogy when it comes out, nor will we be going to see the movie, Eragon, which is due out later this month. I cannot stomach giving this author any more of my money!

It makes me so mad! I just want to warn everyone. Many people do not read the books their children read, and would never know that this poison is buried within the 668 page book, Eldest.
Old Dec 11, '06, 11:30 am
Banned
Book Club Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Karin
Default Re: Warning about a children's book author!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrning View Post
My oldest son and I finished reading Eragon,by Christopher Paolini, and loved it. We couldn't wait to run out and by the sequel, Eldest.

Well, when I reached page 440 of Eldest the warning bells went off. Eragon, the main character, is taught that "when the flesh is destroyed, so is the soul" and that there is no eternal life.

Later in the book, pages 541 - 544, Christopher Paolini pulls out a multitude of atheist arguments to explain to Eragon how the superior race of elves do not worship anything because there is no god. Four pages of discussion, back and forth, with Eragon, the 16 year old human boy, playing the part of the confused theist, and Oromis, the incredibly ancient and wise elf, part of the superior race, patiently explaining the atheists arguments.

How dare Christopher Paolini drag out this athiest agenda in a CHILDREN'S BOOK! I wish I could post the excerpts, but I think that it would infringe on the copywrite. My family will NOT be purchasing the third book of the trilogy when it comes out, nor will we be going to see the movie, Eragon, which is due out later this month. I cannot stomach giving this author any more of my money!

It makes me so mad! I just want to warn everyone. Many people do not read the books their children read, and would never know that this poison is buried within the 668 page book, Eldest.
this is really interesting seeing as he was homeschooled...I would of thought he was religious...I guess that was a silly assumption
Old Dec 11, '06, 11:31 am

That's interesting. I had considered in checking that out at the library becaue of the movie coming out.
Old Dec 11, '06, 11:52 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

So, what if that whole part of the story is a setup for later when Oromis is proven wrong? (Probably won't happe, but "what if")
Old Dec 11, '06, 12:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalJones View Post
So, what if that whole part of the story is a setup for later when Oromis is proven wrong? (Probably won't happe, but "what if")
Unfortunately, I've finished the book, and this doesn't occur. It could occur in the third book of the trilogy, which isn't out yet. But if it does, shame on Christopher Paolini for not clearing it up in the same book in which he introduced the poison to begin with. And it wasn't just a subtle, quick comment. There are FOUR PAGES of atheistic arguments against belief in god. In a CHILDREN'S BOOK! Disgusting.
Old Dec 11, '06, 12:49 pm
Forum Elder

This book is listed both under the genre of fantasy and science fiction. It is listed under both adult and the young adult.

I don't believe it is specifically a children's book. I believe it is being associated as such because of the author's age, not because of the content of the book.

I would read anything in the science fiction/fantasy genre thoroughly and completely before ever letting a child read the book.

Elves, dragons, and magic permeate the entire genre, I hardly see the atheistic elements as being any *more* disturbing than these other elements.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Dec 11, '06, 12:56 pm
Prayer Warrior

This trilogy is certainly not for children... it's more young adult fantasy. I read both books out so far, and enjoyed most of them, except the above-mentioned athiesitic argument. I saw right through it, but a younger child might not... For someone who's faith is solid and who has a good argument to place against something like this, (which could easily pop up in an everyday conversation) it's a well-written series, full of adventure and some good morals, like responsibility for ones actions. You could let older kids read them, with a warning before hand... I'm not a parent, so I can't really judge an age limit.
Old Dec 11, '06, 12:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
This book is listed both under the genre of fantasy and science fiction. It is listed under both adult and the young adult.
The book is listed as follows from the author's website:
Juvenile Fiction - Science Fiction
Knopf Books for Young Readers
Old Dec 11, '06, 1:02 pm

Religion: RC
Send a message via AIM to threej_lc

I also felt Paolini was putting some philosophical agenda into his books that I didn't entirely agree with.

However, this is not uncommon in fiction. I don't think a person can run from every time a questionable argument or decision is made in a book. Rather, use it as an opportunity to learn.

Josh
Old Dec 11, '06, 1:48 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
The book is listed as follows from the author's website:
Juvenile Fiction - Science Fiction
Knopf Books for Young Readers
As I said, it is listed for Young Adults-- which is what the publishers call teens.

At any rate, just as the movie ratings, music lyric warnings, and video games are "rated" and may still be objectionable, parents should not assume content is appropriate just because it is in a juvenile fiction section.

For example, Judy Blume has some juvenile fiction (the book Forever) that I would not allow my child/teen to read, even though there are other Blume books that are acceptable. Forever has sexual content that is completely inappropriate. And yet, it is listed as juvenile fiction.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, books on Witches and how to cast spells-- all these things are found in the young adult section of bookstores. I wouldn't let kids have any of those things.

OP, you object to atheist content in a fiction book written for juveniles/teens/adults. But, an atheist parent would have no problem with this content. I find it odd that you are basing your "digust" solely on the fact that this book is classified as juvenile fiction.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Dec 11, '06, 2:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
OP, you object to atheist content in a fiction book written for juveniles/teens/adults. But, an atheist parent would have no problem with this content. I find it odd that you are basing your "digust" solely on the fact that this book is classified as juvenile fiction.
I'm basing my disgust on the fact that a book marketed to children shouldn't contain a 4 page interruption by the author trying to convince young readers of the atheist viewpoint. If you have the book, read pages 541-544. I've read a lot of atheist arguments. I just don't expect to find them in a children's book!

Still want to think this book isn't for children? Go to the publishers website, randomhouse.com. Click on the Kids@random link and there you will find Eldest, front and center, right under the picture of the Cat In The Hat.
Old Dec 11, '06, 2:45 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Cradle, active, Roman Catholic

but you're talking about a book about dragons and elves...
head's up right there, for any young reader, that there's going to be paganistic philosophy contained therein...that's a given.

Elves! Witches! Warlocks! Magic! If your primary complaint is that the atheist philosophy is present then you're missing the bigger obvious no-no....why would you even consider fantasy/science fiction having to do with dragons/elves and such appropriate for any young mind?

The era depicted in that age is always about good/evil and every story told/written deals with the conflict of such - and thus, both sides must be argued through the tale so that a conclusion could be reached.

As you noted, since this is a trilogy it could very well all be resolved in the third book, much as Lord of the Rings was, and the Harry Potter series is yet to be resolved.

If none of that is appropriate for your yound child's mind then why are you exposing him to any of it?
Old Dec 11, '06, 2:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinYangMom View Post
but you're talking about a book about dragons and elves...
head's up right there, for any young reader, that there's going to be paganistic philosophy contained therein...that's a given.
I know many people feel that fantasy books containing magic, elves, dragons, good vs evil, etc. are inappropriate for children. I just don't agree. I've read all the Harry Potter books, and there is nothing contained in them, IMO, that is as damaging as these 4 pages of Eldest. (And once Christopher Paolini so obviously exposed his agenda, I recognized the many other areas of the book where this was only hinted at.)
Old Dec 11, '06, 4:05 pm

it's fiction..........geez louise.........

just like Sleeping Beauty, just like the Legend of Sleepy Hollow....just like Cinderella, just like Alice in Wonderland....

If you knew the origin of "Ring around the rosy"...you would never let your kids sing it, or play it again.

the difference is, the "kids" know that is isn't real......

Adoption is the loving choice
praying for those waiting to adopt

http://www.christianadopt.org/
Old Dec 11, '06, 5:35 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
I'm basing my disgust on the fact that a book marketed to children shouldn't contain a 4 page interruption by the author trying to convince young readers of the atheist viewpoint.
Says you. But, on what do you *base* your idea that a children's book "shouldn't" have a dissertation on atheism? This is a plural society. A book can have in it whatever the author chooses to write.

I agree a child being brought up in the Catholic faith should not read such a book-- but that is not the same thing as saying an author should not, or cannot, write such a book.

Quote:
If you have the book, read pages 541-544.
I do not have the book, nor do I desire to read the book. I dislike fantasy books.

Quote:
I've read a lot of atheist arguments. I just don't expect to find them in a children's book!
There are all sorts of things one might not "expect" to find in chidlren's books but they are there nonetheless.

Quote:
Still want to think this book isn't for children? Go to the publishers website, randomhouse.com. Click on the Kids@random link and there you will find Eldest, front and center, right under the picture of the Cat In The Hat.
It doesn't actually matter whether it's for children or not-- although it is clearly intended for "yound adult readers" not for preschoolers.

The book "It's Perfectly Normal" is published "for children" (and available in many public shool libraries) and it's a graphic, perverted sex book promoted by Planned Parenthood.

My point is, there are no actual standards for "children's books". You, as the parent, should read these books first-- not with your child at the same time-- you cannot assume the publisher has any sort of standard which guarantees the content will not offend you.

Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life