Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 11, '06, 4:44 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default A short Advent?

This year, the fourth Sunday of Advent falls on Christmas eve. Does this mean that Advent is over on the Satuday before, leaving us one Sunday short?

Or do we celebrate the fourth Sunday of Advent in the morning and have the Christmas vigil that night>

I have told my wife that it is the latter, but she does not believe me...

Anyone have a definitive answer?
Old Dec 11, '06, 4:52 pm

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Send a message via MSN to SMHW
Default Re: A short Advent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rciadan View Post
This year, the fourth Sunday of Advent falls on Christmas eve. Does this mean that Advent is over on the Satuday before, leaving us one Sunday short?

Or do we celebrate the fourth Sunday of Advent in the morning and have the Christmas vigil that night?
I can't give you a complete answer because I've heard various times of day mentioned, but I do know that liturgically, Christmas 'Eve' does not begin until some time in the afternoon of December 24. The morning of December 24 may be popularly known as "Christmas Eve" but it is liturgically not so.
Old Dec 11, '06, 4:52 pm

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

My parish calendar has the 4th Sunday of Advent and the vigil of Christmas on the same day. So based on the Mass schedule, I'd say it was the 4th Sunday up until about 5pm when it becomes the vigil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rciadan View Post

Or do we celebrate the fourth Sunday of Advent in the morning and have the Christmas vigil that night>

I have told my wife that it is the latter, but she does not believe me...

Anyone have a definitive answer?
Old Dec 11, '06, 4:54 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Sunday Dec. 24 is the 4th Sunday of Advent, that is the Mass that will be celebrated that morning. Christmas begins at Midnight, with, yup, Midnight Mass. In areas where the bishop has given permission for the Masses of the Vigil of Christmas to satisfay the obligation for the Holy Day, any Masses Sunday evening will be Christmas Masses, so will Midnight Mass, and any Masses on Christmas Day, the 25th. We are obligated to go to Mass on Sunday for the 4th Sun. of Advent (or Saturday evening where the anticipated Mass is permitted), and again for Christmas.
Old Dec 11, '06, 5:00 pm
Forum Elder

Our parish priest has neatly solved this dilemma by cancelling our afternoon Sunday Masses altogether. In our case, it will be the Fourth Sunday of Advent from the Vigil on Saturday afternoon until noon on Sunday.

Christmas Vigil will take place at 7:00 pm, and we will have Midnight Mass of Christmas, Dawn Mass at dawn, and Christmas Day Masses until noon of Christmas day.

We will be obligated to attend one of the four available Fourth Sunday of Advent Masses between Vigil of Sunday (which takes place on Saturday afternoon) and noon on the 24th, plus one of the five available Christmas Masses, from the Vigil of Christmas at 7:00 pm on Sunday until noon on Christmas Day.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Dec 11, '06, 5:00 pm

The Fourth Sunday of Advent is on the Sunday.
Old Dec 11, '06, 5:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
Sunday Dec. 24 is the 4th Sunday of Advent, that is the Mass that will be celebrated that morning. Christmas begins at Midnight, with, yup, Midnight Mass. In areas where the bishop has given permission for the Masses of the Vigil of Christmas to satisfay the obligation for the Holy Day, any Masses Sunday evening will be Christmas Masses, so will Midnight Mass, and any Masses on Christmas Day, the 25th. We are obligated to go to Mass on Sunday for the 4th Sun. of Advent (or Saturday evening where the anticipated Mass is permitted), and again for Christmas.
This is what seems the most reasonable to me. Thanks for such a quick response! Praise God for all of you!
Old Dec 12, '06, 1:46 am

See the issue is that Sunday really doesn't end until nightfall, evening is still considered Sunday, unlike on Saturday where evening is considered Sunday (hence the anticipated Mass). This is why parishes can offer Evening Masses on Sunday that still fullfill the obligation. So in technicallity Christmas doesn't begin until Midnight this year, other years it begins at Sunset. Like others had said, the Bishop needs to provide permission this year for a Sunday Evening Vigil Mass for Christmas and I'm sure most Dioceses will do this, since most parishes usually have a Vigil Mass for Christmas. Regardless, you're going to have to go to Mass two times in a row this year, once for the Fourth Sunday in Advent and another for Christmas.

On a side note the same usually applies to Solemnities unless they occur on Saturdays during Advent or Lent. A Solemnity begins on the preceding evening and ends at Midnight on the following day. (Even Compline is altered for the Solemnity.) I had to ask this question in June because the Solemnity of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist fell on a Saturday this year and was preceded by the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart.
Old Dec 12, '06, 9:51 pm

This is what my parish's schedule looks like:

2006 Christmas Mass Schedule:

Saturday 23 December 2006

(Normal weekend Mass Schedule)
3:30 pm Confessions
5:00 pm Sung Mass
Fourth Sunday of Advent, 24 December 2006
7:30 am Low Mass
9:00 am Sung Mass
11:00 am Solemn Mass
11:00 am Maronite Divine Liturgy (Gallivan Hall)
1:00 pm Spanish Mass
Christmas Eve, Sunday 24 December 2006
4:30 pm Youth Choir Carol Program in the gym
5:00 pm English Mass in the gym for families with children
5:00 pm English Mass in the church
7:00 pm English Mass in the church
11:00 pm Office of Readings
12 midnight Solemn English Mass in the church
12 midnight Maronite Divine Liturgy in Gallivan Hall
Christmas Day, Monday 25 December 2006
9:00 am English Mass in the church
11:00 am Solemn English Mass in the church
1:00 pm Spanish Mass in the church
Old Dec 14, '06, 7:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalm45:9 View Post
See the issue is that Sunday really doesn't end until nightfall, evening is still considered Sunday, unlike on Saturday where evening is considered Sunday (hence the anticipated Mass). This is why parishes can offer Evening Masses on Sunday that still fullfill the obligation. So in technicallity Christmas doesn't begin until Midnight this year, other years it begins at Sunset. Like others had said, the Bishop needs to provide permission this year for a Sunday Evening Vigil Mass for Christmas and I'm sure most Dioceses will do this, since most parishes usually have a Vigil Mass for Christmas.
Strictly speaking, this is incorrect. According to the liturgical books (I am looking at my breviary), the rubrics for the Fourth Sunday of Advent say to take everything from December 24th if this Sunday falls on the 24th, as it does this year. Therefore, Evening Prayer II for the Fourth Sunday of Advent is trumped by Evening Prayer I of Christmas Day, which as a major solemnity of the Lord takes precedence over it. As a result, the Fourth Sunday of Advent concludes the around 4 pm on Christmas Eve, and Christmas begins.
"But may I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." -St. Paul the Apostle (Galatians 6:14, NAB)
Old Dec 14, '06, 7:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
In areas where the bishop has given permission for the Masses of the Vigil of Christmas to satisfay the obligation for the Holy Day
There may be permission needed for Christmas masses to be offered on the vigil, I'm not sure what the rules are on that. However, no permission is required from the bishop in order to fulfill your Holy Day obligation at any mass Christmas eve, as that is specified in Canon Law (1248).
Quote:
The obligation of assisting at Mass is satisfied wherever Mass is celebrated in a catholic rite either on a holyday itself or on the evening of the previous day.
Old Dec 14, '06, 7:25 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Arrow Re: A short Advent?

No permission is needed for Christmas Vigil Masses; the missal specifically provides for them.
Old Dec 14, '06, 7:33 am

My priest has stated thus:

Attend Sat Vigil or Sun am (8:30) for 4th Sunday in Advent on 12/23-24.

Attend Christmas Eve Vigil 4:30-(childrens liturgy) or 7pm

Attend Midnight Mass or Christmas Day (11am)

So my weekend will be busy. I am taking my kids to 8:30 am ofor Advent Sunday, 4:30 pm Vigil (Children's liturgy for my toddler), 7 pm Vigil-teens in belle choir, 11 am Christmas Day.

Is this wrong??

Pax vobiscum
Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae. Amen
Old Dec 14, '06, 8:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJDevotee View Post
So my weekend will be busy. I am taking my kids to 8:30 am ofor Advent Sunday, 4:30 pm Vigil (Children's liturgy for my toddler), 7 pm Vigil-teens in belle choir, 11 am Christmas Day.

Is this wrong??Pax vobiscum
Nothing wrong with that. Sounds like a busy but holy weekend. Keep in mind that you may not receive the Eucharist more than twice on Sunday, even though you'll be attending three masses that day.
Old Dec 14, '06, 8:40 am

Thanks, I did not know that. I think we can forgo the Children's liturgy for the Blessed Sacrament. My 4 y/o can't have it and the mass is geared for the kids.

Pax Vobiscum
Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae. Amen

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments