Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 24, '06, 8:34 pm

Default Did Paul Correct Peter?

A very good Baptist friend of mine told me last night that Paul met with Peter and corrected him. We didn't get into the discussion because of a distraction so I'm not sure what he meant. Does anyone here no what he's talking about?

Thanks you!
Tony
Old Dec 24, '06, 9:06 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: catholic
Send a message via AIM to johnnycatholic
Lightbulb Re: Did Paul Correct Peter?

Galatians 2:11
Paul admonishes Peter because Peter had the vision that the Gospel must be preached to the gentiles, yet won't eat with gentiles (whose dietary customs were "unclean") in front of the Jews so as to avoid confrontation. Peter was watering down Church teaching. I think the Council of Jerusalem had already met and established that gentiles didn't have to be circumcised or eat kosher. Faith in Christ and the teachings of His Church was all they needed. Old habits die hard, though, and Peter ate with gentiles when there were no Jews around, but backed off when James' people came by. Paul told him to suck it up and be a man. The teaching had already been infallibly defined; Paul was just telling Peter he was going to have to deal with some ugly confrontations in order to get the truth of the gospel out there.
Old Dec 24, '06, 9:15 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Did Paul Correct Peter?

Paul basically chastised Peter for not practicing what he preached (it was Peter that first opened up the New Covenant to the Gentiles, and then Peter who said the Gentiles should not be shackled to the Mosaic Law in order to become Christians). Paul did not correct Peter for any false teachings, just not following his own teachings.

Remember, it was Paul who came to Peter to confirm his own teachings before he ever went out and evangelized to the Gentiles.
Old Dec 24, '06, 10:04 pm

Religion: transferring to the Melkite Church
Send a message via MSN to Ghosty Send a message via Yahoo to Ghosty

This wouldn't be the last time that someone unbraided a Pope, either. Not by a long shot. My favorite story is that of St. Catherine of Sienna, who basically told the Pope of her day to quit being a coward, and get off his duff and do what was right by the Church, which meant leaving Avignon and French politics behind and moving the Chair of St. Peter back to Rome, among other things. Her courage and insistance changed the course of history, and most especially the face of the Church in Europe.

Such events don't detract from the Papacy at all, but rather further emphasize its centrality and importance. In a very real sense, the Papacy is bigger than even the Pope, because it's the focus of unity for the whole Church. For this reason it's in the interest of all of us to work for its right-operation and holiness, and sometimes that means taking a Pope to task for the sake of the Papacy and the Church. St. Paul did the right thing by challenging St. Peter for the scandal he was bringing to the Gentiles, and St. Catherine did the right thing by challenging Pope Gregory XI for the scandal that he was bringing to all of Europe. None of these incidents involve false teaching, of course, though there are points in history where Pope's have been challenged, sometimes posthumously, for not being clear enough about such things.

The Papacy is the gift to the Church, not to the Pope

Peace and God bless!
Old Dec 25, '06, 8:17 am
Forum Master

Religion: Protestant Convert to Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by tparsons View Post
A very good Baptist friend of mine told me last night that Paul met with Peter and corrected him. We didn't get into the discussion because of a distraction so I'm not sure what he meant. Does anyone here no what he's talking about?

Thanks you!
Tony
Tony-

Understand what your "friend" is really doing...attacking your Catholic faith by attempting to undermine the authority of the Pope.

No pope, Peter included, is impeccable; Peter's personal weaknesses are well documented in the pages of scripture, and we Catholics have no reason to fear them because Jesus chose Peter in spite of his flaws.

Your friend doesn't understand papal infallibility and thinks that it means that Peter must be perfect. Not so!

Now, you have the perfect opportunity to go back to your friend and show him how Jesus gave Peter the keys to the kingdom in Matthew 16 as well as the shepherd's crook in John 21. From there, you can explain Apostolic Succession and how baptism of infants is taught by an infallible Church.

Holy cow! In just a few weeks you could stand as your friend's sponsor when he enters the Church at Easter!!!

"For an Evangelical Christian to become a Catholic is not to deny all that is good within his non-Catholic faith, but to embrace more." Fr. Dwight Longenecker
"The same holds true for Orthodox Christians." Randy Carson
Old Dec 25, '06, 8:41 am

Quote:

Thanks you!
Tony
The other posters have answered your question but I must object to the word "correct". Peter was a good Jew and truly wanted to help the Jews. Paul was not a Jew he was a Roman citizen and thus it is easy to understand how Paul was opening the religion to his (Paul's) people. So Paul's desire to help his people (gentiles) seam less supported by Peter the leader who evangelized to Jews. By the way (btw) remember when Jesus ate with the sinners which upset the (Jewish) apostles? Did the Apostles "correct" Jesus, I think not. None of this should offend your friend as he probably does not have a Jewish background.
Old Dec 25, '06, 8:49 am
Forum Master

Religion: Protestant Convert to Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Roofer View Post
The other posters have answered your question but I must object to the word "correct". Peter was a good Jew and truly wanted to help the Jews. Paul was not a Jew he was a Roman citizen and thus it is easy to understand how Paul was opening the religion to his (Paul's) people. So Paul's desire to help his people (gentiles) seam less supported by Peter the leader who evangelized to Jews. By the way (btw) remember when Jesus ate with the sinners which upset the (Jewish) apostles? Did the Apostles "correct" Jesus, I think not. None of this should offend your friend as he probably does not have a Jewish background.
Hold on there, Tex!

Paul, aka Saul of Tarsus, most certainly was a Jew.

He also happened to be a Roman citizen.

"For an Evangelical Christian to become a Catholic is not to deny all that is good within his non-Catholic faith, but to embrace more." Fr. Dwight Longenecker
"The same holds true for Orthodox Christians." Randy Carson
Old Dec 25, '06, 9:22 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic via Canterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Carson View Post
Hold on there, Tex!

Paul, aka Saul of Tarsus, most certainly was a Jew.

He also happened to be a Roman citizen.
A Jew, a Roman citizen, and a Greek! He played all parts to the hilt!
Old Dec 25, '06, 2:18 pm

Religion: transferring to the Melkite Church
Send a message via MSN to Ghosty Send a message via Yahoo to Ghosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Roofer View Post
Paul was not only a Jew, he was the only one of the crew that we know was educated in the Temple under the greatest Rabbi of the day. He was a dedicated Pharisee, hence his persecution of Christian Jews before his conversion.

Peace and God bless!
Old Dec 26, '06, 6:39 am

I stand correct yes Paul was Jew in addition to being a Roman citizen and the primary evangelical for the gentiles - sorry about the error
Old Dec 26, '06, 1:01 pm

Religion: Holy Catholic Church

Quote:

Thanks you!
Tony
Point out that Peter chastized virtually the entire Jerusalem Council (Acts 15:10) and laid down the faith of the Church to guide the Council (Acts:15:11-12).

Also, point out that the last thing Christ did in the last Gospel was to give Peter pastoral care over the entire Church. John 21:15-19. Now, not only was Christ able to forsee Paul's rebuke of Peter due to Christ's divinity, but Christ specifically saw the rebuke incident, as Christ looked at Peter's future to Peter's death. John 21:18-19. Yet, with the full divine confidence, Christ gave Peter shepherdship over the whole Church.

Christ Himself has decided that the rebuke incident with Paul did not affect Peter's authority. Peter's faithful service to the end was foreordained...a done deal, per Christ Himself.

Never for one second did Peter loose his Christ-given authority over the Church!

Which follows:

1. Paul could not revoke Peter's Christ-given authority;

2. Luther, et. al, could not revoke Peter's Christ-given authority;

3. Your Baptist friend cannot revoke Peter's Christ-given authority;

4. Peter himself could not renounce his Christ-given authority.

Finally, point out that your friend is really attacking Christ and His judgment, not Peter.

Hope this helps.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics