Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 26, '06, 8:01 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Defense from spiritual attack

Is it okay to ask others to pray for you when you are being attacked spiritually? I've heard that when one prays for another who is under attack by evil, the person praying for them opens themself up to spiritual attack.

I personally had such an experience and was therefore reluctant to ask for the prayers of others. I also have known people that I'm pretty convinced were under spiritual attack or living with the influence of evil, and wanted to pray for them, but wasn't sure if I'd be opening myself up to that kind of attack. I've read that only priests can pray for deliverance of someone.
Old Dec 26, '06, 8:42 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Defense from spiritual attack

We shold not be afraid to pray for those who seek help If we do, then Satan succeeds in overcoming those individuals by use of fear, and suppressing our faith. As Christians, we cannot give into this. Rest assurred, and have faith, that Love bears all things and endures all things, and that Christ and all the Holy Ones will come to your aid, especially in spiritual warfare. I will personally pray with you and for you. Know that you are not alone.

Isaiah 41:10
Psalm 3:4-7
Proverbs 3:5-6
Ephesians 6:10-17
Old Dec 26, '06, 8:59 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummybee View Post
Is it okay to ask others to pray for you when you are being attacked spiritually? I've heard that when one prays for another who is under attack by evil, the person praying for them opens themself up to spiritual attack.

I personally had such an experience and was therefore reluctant to ask for the prayers of others. I also have known people that I'm pretty convinced were under spiritual attack or living with the influence of evil, and wanted to pray for them, but wasn't sure if I'd be opening myself up to that kind of attack. I've read that only priests can pray for deliverance of someone.
News to me. I will pray to Archangel Michael to surround both of us with his army of light. You can help by also reciting the prayer to St Michael the archangel.
Old Dec 26, '06, 9:29 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andruschak View Post
News to me. I will pray to Archangel Michael to surround both of us with his army of light. You can help by also reciting the prayer to St Michael the archangel.

A Prayer to Saint Michael

Saint Michael, Archangel, defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness
and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
And do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host,
by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.
Old Dec 26, '06, 9:57 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

This is a good prayer...

“Dear Lord Jesus, please surround me (family/friends/or the particular person that you are praying for) with a perimeter of Your Love and Protection throughout the day today and everyday a hundred yards in all directions. Lord Jesus, render any demons that are there, or should try to come, deaf, dumb, and blind. Strip them of all weapons, illusions, armor, power, and authority. Disable them from communicating or interacting in any way. Bind, sever, and separate them, sending them directly to the foot of Your Cross without manifestation or harm to be dealt with by you Jesus. May Your Precious Blood cover me, the Holy Spirit fill me, Mary's mantle of love and protection surround me, St. Joseph guide me, the Holy Angels and Saints guard and protect me from all unfortunate events. Protect me from fire, theft, flood, storms, ailments, and accidents of every sort, distress, hardship, curse, and all untoward things. I ask all this in your Name Lord Jesus and I thank and praise you. I love you. Alleluia. Amen!”

“The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. (1 Corinthians 1:23,24)
Old Dec 27, '06, 8:26 am

Thank you all so much, you are courageous and kind souls!

Yes, I prayed to St. Michael the Archangel, and Our Lady and my angel. I also prayed to St. Pio, because he was tormented by the devil. The Cure of Ars would be a good one to ask for assistance, too. I said several prayers of supplication, and then a prayer for deliverance.

Maybe what I was thinking of was the prayer for deliverance. I have a book, "Deliver Us From Evil", by Fr. Basil Nortz, ORC. I have to confess to not having read it completely, but have read the prayers section fully. At the end of the book is a section called "Prayers of Command", that begins with this warning:

It is important to note that the prayers in this section are for private and personal use only. Prayers of command are not to be said publicly nor for the liberation of someone other than oneself, nor for cases of local infestation. In these cases it is necessary to seek the assistance of a priest who has permission from his local ordinary to perform sometype of exorcism prayer. No one has the authority to command the devil to depart from another person or from a public place or some other object unless they officially receive such authority from the Church. Such authroity is only given to ordained priests.

It is recommended to pray a prayer of supplication prior to praying a prayer of command for the sake of petitioning special assistance from God, and Mary and the angels and saints.

The prayers that follow include: Invocation Against The Evil One, Prayer in Time of Temptation, Private Prayers for Deliverance and Prayer Following Deliverance.
Incidentally, I found a beautiful prayer in the "Prayers of Supplication" section called "The Chaplet of Our Lady of Tears". So beautiful! One particularly beautiful part is a verse/response repeated seven times:

V: Oh Jesus! Behold the tears of the one who loved You most on earth,
R: And who loves You most ardently in heaven.

As a mother myself, that part is particularly moving to me. Anyway, thank you all!
Old Dec 27, '06, 8:48 am
Book Club Member

Prayer, the sacramentals and the sacraments. Don't let the enemy have any ammo. During attacks , the 23rd psalm and the Our Father are good things to remember as well as prayers for Mary and St. Michael's interventions. A daily rosary helps embed prayers in your subconscious if your having problems with nightmares. I hope this helps. You have my prayers , Tim
Old Dec 27, '06, 10:27 am

You know, what makes the experience baffling is that I have made all those things an important part of daily life. Most days I say the rosary at least twice, plus the chaplet of Divine Mercy, plus the all-day sort of running prayer dialogue with God, and the evening prayers. I envoke St. Michael several times a day. This sort of 'attack' is not something I give much thought or attention, so it caught me by surprise. I use holy water often, and my home is sprinkled with it and blessed salt. It only ever happened once before, and it was much briefer, and that was almost a year ago. I don't get it. In any case, I am taking all the advice to heart and following it, and adding to my usual prayers and invocations.

Thanks so much for the prayers and support.
Old Dec 27, '06, 10:45 am

Demons cannot hear your silent paryers or read your mind. So don't worry, just pray silently.
Old Dec 27, '06, 11:14 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Mummybee, you are right in a way. When we intercede for someone, we do volunteer to help them carry part of their cross. That's why prayer is so wonderful, because we can do so much good with so little effort or pain.

But sometimes we are sent trials that are specific intercessions for someone. Have you ever had a day where bad things were happening to you, but you could see that your day was blessed through these trials? Maybe your car broke down, but it broke down in a great location and didn't cost that much to repair, although if the problem hadn't been seen to right away, it would have cost a lot more down the road. Or something that happened to me recently is that I chipped a molar while eating soft soup (such a freak accident!). Because of the chip, I saw the dentist and discovered I had an infection in that tooth and needed a root canal. The cost was $1000, the exact amount of a surprise gift we received a couple of weeks earlier. It was obvious to me that through my trial, God was helping me. God allows these things, but He keeps us tightly under his wing while we help His other little ones with their burdens.

So yes, by praying for someone under spiritual attack, we might be spritually attacked in return. But it's not because the devil decides this, it's because God allows it. And He's not going to allow it to a degree greater than what we can handle. And sometimes it won't even happen at all.

And I also love the Chaplet of Our Lady of Tears (AKA Chaplet of the Tears of Blood)
Old Dec 27, '06, 2:55 pm

I personally don’t have experience in praying for someone under the influence of evil – but I have for those of the dead.
I think that whenever I do that – I really get a lot of temptations, and sometimes this causes me to sin.

I suggest that if you yourself have any kind of addictions or weak spots – then don’t do this. On the contrary if you have dedicated yourself to Our Lady I guess she would take care of it.
Old Dec 28, '06, 5:05 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Try Fr. Coropi's Spritual 911:

http://www.fathercorapi.com/PDF/911.pdf

http://www.knocknovena.com/index.htm

Wife of 1
Mommy of 4
Slave to 11 chickens, 5 cats, 2 pigs, and 1 dog
Old Dec 28, '06, 8:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof4 View Post

So cool! So easy to remember! Awesome! Thanks so much, Mommyof4! I've been to Fr. Corapi's site many times, but never knew this was there. I have to go back and re-investigate it more thoroughly. Thanks!
Old Dec 28, '06, 9:35 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof4 View Post

Old Oct 19, '08, 4:43 am
Observing Member

Religion: other

Im not a christian or catholic even though i have walked both paths before and have no religion now. I don't usually attribute things to 'spiritual attacks" because i believe those are a rarity not to say it doesnt happen but you can't just attribute every little bad thing that comes your way as an attack because thats just being paranoid nor is it practical. Im embarrassed to be here and even more so to write this but i think i might have been attacked tonight and i think it was a wake up call to get my act together. I have a hard time sleeping and didn't asleep until almost two this morning only to wake up at four in the morning for no reason. The tv was on which it usually but even then i swear i heard a deep voice talking to me taunting me. I tried to ignore it and said its just the tv and the voice laughed and said like i knew you say that. I got scared and yes in my weak moment i cried to a God i turned away from for help but as i prayed the voice kept telling me to shut up and was basically trying to tell me it was useless but i kept praying. It is almost seven in the morning and im tired and spent but i feel i need some help and answers and i just don't know who to trust or turn to.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality