Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 2, '07, 9:49 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default To Catholics and Seventh-day Adventists

My sister just started dating a guy who is a Seventh-Day Adventist (SDA from now on).

I was just wondering what it is that they believe in? How different are their beliefs to the CC's? Does anyone know? Can anyone explain?

I want the best for my sister, and the fact that I am married to a JW makes me want to tell her not to to get too serious w/someone who isn't a Catholic. Knowing her, she won't care now because she's not a practincing Catholic, but in the long run, she'll start caring just as I did. Been there done that...
Old Jan 2, '07, 10:14 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic - Latin Rite, Papist!
Default Re: To Catholics and Seventh-day Adventists

Oh, Yessian! What sad news. I am no expert on Seventh-day Adventists although they do share some Jw beliefs. On a positive side they do claim to focus a lot on the family and spending time with ones family (I dont know if they include non 7th dayer members as family though! )

My heart goes out to you. Just remember it may be easier to help her get back into her own faith than to use apologetics on the religion of her new found love interest.

I think if her faith is in ebb now, she is clearly "open season" for being led out of it. Is there any way you can get her to go to Mass with you? Or get her to come with you to a Parish event?

You may want to spend more private time with her even if its non religious time. Remember to silently pray for her return to her faith when you are with her. Call her more often. Send her mail, even an article that would be of interest to her. Just to keep her reminded that you Love her deeply.

Oh Yessian, I have high hopes you can show her your love of your faith in numerous ways. And if she can see it through you, there is always hope she will come home - no man on earth can take away what she knows in her heart is found in the Catholic Church IMHO.

He's not a good looking millionaire is he?
That may require daily Rosary on top of all the other stuff.
I am not trying to be flip, but pray for her no matter how far she seems to stray. Pray.

I will too.
Old Jan 2, '07, 10:27 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
Oh, Yessian! What sad news. I am no expert on Seventh-day Adventists although they do share some Jw beliefs. On a positive side they do claim to focus a lot on the family and spending time with ones family (I dont know if they include non 7th dayer members as family though! )

My heart goes out to you. Just remember it may be easier to help her get back into her own faith than to use apologetics on the religion of her new found love interest.

I think if her faith is in ebb now, she is clearly "open season" for being led out of it. Is there any way you can get her to go to Mass with you? Or get her to come with you to a Parish event?

You may want to spend more private time with her even if its non religious time. Remember to silently pray for her return to her faith when you are with her. Call her more often. Send her mail, even an article that would be of interest to her. Just to keep her reminded that you Love her deeply.

Oh Yessian, I have high hopes you can show her your love of your faith in numerous ways. And if she can see it through you, there is always hope she will come home - no man on earth can take away what she knows in her heart is found in the Catholic Church IMHO.

I am not trying to be flip, but pray for her no matter how far she seems to stray. Pray.

I will too.
Thanks for your response Damascus... sad thing is my sister hates to speak about religion, even though she already admitted to being threatened by the fact her new bf is more religious than she is. I did tell her that they do share 1 or 2 beliefs w/the JWs, so she got somewhat freaked out.

I don't know if I can convince her to come to Church w/me or to go to a Church event w/me, but I'm going to try my best to get her to come back to the CC....
Old Jan 2, '07, 10:34 am

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Hi Yessisan, CA has all the info you need about SDA. Go to the homepage library under Non-Catholic Groups and Anti-Catholicism.

There is good info there on how to answer her questions she will probaly have in the future about us Blasphemous catholics.

You will really need to be on top of things for her sake, and who knows maybe you will be able to help her new bf understand the truth!

Peace & God Bless!
Old Jan 2, '07, 11:03 am

Religion: etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessisan View Post
My sister just started dating a guy who is a Seventh-Day Adventist (SDA from now on).

I was just wondering what it is that they believe in? How different are their beliefs to the CC's? Does anyone know? Can anyone explain?

I want the best for my sister, and the fact that I am married to a JW makes me want to tell her not to to get too serious w/someone who isn't a Catholic. Knowing her, she won't care now because she's not a practincing Catholic, but in the long run, she'll start caring just as I did. Been there done that...
Dear Yessian,

You can check out some of the Adventist beleifs at www.adventist.org
Old Jan 2, '07, 11:09 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessisan View Post

I have heard their ministers on television and gone to their bookstores. They consistently say the Pope is the antichrist and the Catholic Church is of Satan. They are extremely anti-Catholic.
Old Jan 2, '07, 11:12 am

You need to jump into her life and play matchmaker and set her up with a good Catholic man to date in your area instead.

Interfaith relationships are bad espcially when its one that could be considered hostile to Catholics. While SDA's are at least a step up from JWs, you've got to make her consider all the baggage that comes along - her bf's relatives, friends - and that to consider how her relationship would all come to a boil if any children were to come out of this.
Old Jan 2, '07, 11:39 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianley View Post
I have heard their ministers on television and gone to their bookstores. They consistently say the Pope is the antichrist and the Catholic Church is of Satan. They are extremely anti-Catholic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
You need to jump into her life and play matchmaker and set her up with a good Catholic man to date in your area instead.

Interfaith relationships are bad espcially when its one that could be considered hostile to Catholics. While SDA's are at least a step up from JWs, you've got to make her consider all the baggage that comes along - her bf's relatives, friends - and that to consider how her relationship would all come to a boil if any children were to come out of this.
I wish I had Catholic friends... all the Catholic people I know are either married, engaged, or are related to us...
Old Jan 3, '07, 7:46 pm

Religion: Seventh-day Adventist
Send a message via AIM to goitalone Send a message via MSN to goitalone Send a message via Yahoo to goitalone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post

I will too.
WOW, lets not get silly now..she is in best hands available if he is a good, faithful church going SDA..this is where we all need to be...SDA's teach the 100% truth of God's Bible.

Want to learn more?

Click this link for SDA Bible Prophecy videos and audio Q&A etc. and click on Videos or Bible Q&A

http://infotipper.com/home.html
Old Jan 3, '07, 7:50 pm

Send a message via AIM to goitalone Send a message via MSN to goitalone Send a message via Yahoo to goitalone

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigal-sun View Post
Hi Yessisan, CA has all the info you need about SDA. Go to the homepage library under Non-Catholic Groups and Anti-Catholicism.

There is good info there on how to answer her questions she will probaly have in the future about us Blasphemous catholics.

You will really need to be on top of things for her sake, and who knows maybe you will be able to help her new bf understand the truth!

Peace & God Bless!

God sent His remnant SDA church His last days 100% true message.
Old Jan 3, '07, 7:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianley View Post
Um..no, the Bible speaks of the teachings on the Roman Catholic church as to be the devil's deception in the last days by changing times and laws (i.e. His holy seventh-day Sabbath from the seventh day of the week to the first) its the Bible and God who shows us that truth.

SDA's are not against anyone at all, but the TEACHINGS are wrong.
Old Jan 3, '07, 8:22 pm

Religion: Catholic and Proud of it!

Seventh Day Adventists spread anti catholicism. They also aren't really Christians because they believe Sunday Worship is wrong (hmmm, how do they celebrate the Day that Jesus Rose - AKA Easter Sunday?).

They do not teach the whole truth of the Bible.

Good luck helping your sister find a good Holy Catholic Man.

And pray for her return to the faith. My aunt returned to the Catholic faith a few years ago after a lot of prayers.

"More souls go to hell because of sins of the flesh than for any other reason."
- Our Lady of Fatima

Who will speak for those who have no voice?

Life.....what a beautiful choice!
Old Jan 3, '07, 8:41 pm

If he is a practicing SDA and she is a marginal Catholic, chances are he's going to pull her in.

Seen it in my own family.

SDA's are extremely anti-Catholic and will spend all their time trying to convert Catholics. They publish tons of material supposedly written by "ex-Catholics" turned SDAs, especially ex-priests, that preach the err of their ways as Catholics and how they found the "true" church.

They're convinced that eventually the President of the U.S. will sign a law requiring Sunday worship, a great apostasy in their faith, which requires Sabbath (Saturday) worship.

Fortunately, they do believe in the Trinity, but have little else in common with Catholicism.
Old Jan 3, '07, 9:53 pm
Book Club Member

For a really good summary of their beliefs you should get the book "The Great Controversy" which is a classic of SDA literature which argues their point of view, especially their opinion of the Catholic Church. I have read most of it because it is quite interesting and well written despite being SDA propoganda, beware that it is VERY VERY anti-catholic and goes so far to cast the church as "the whore of Babylon".
Old Jan 4, '07, 3:01 am
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by az 4 faith View Post
If he is a practicing SDA and she is a marginal Catholic, chances are he's going to pull her in.

Seen it in my own family.

SDA's are extremely anti-Catholic and will spend all their time trying to convert Catholics. They publish tons of material supposedly written by "ex-Catholics" turned SDAs, especially ex-priests, that preach the err of their ways as Catholics and how they found the "true" church.

They're convinced that eventually the President of the U.S. will sign a law requiring Sunday worship, a great apostasy in their faith, which requires Sabbath (Saturday) worship.

Fortunately, they do believe in the Trinity, but have little else in common with Catholicism.
They didn't always. That's *ONE* good thing that Alleged Prophetess Ellen G White brought back to the Adventists.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions