Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 4, '07, 12:32 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to keri6789
Default Prayer or Saint to Help Find A Spouse

If you have read any of my previous posts, I am becoming Catholic. I have been thinking alot about my life (I'm 23) and I want God to bring the person that I am suppost to marry to me. I want someone who believes the same things that I believe. I have been reading alot about Saints and different Prayers to the Saints and I was wondering if anyone knew of a Saint that helps out with this kind of stuff!

Thanks!!

Keri

Last edited by keri6789; Jan 4, '07 at 12:50 pm.
Old Jan 4, '07, 1:06 pm
Banned

Smile Re: Prayer or Saint to Help Find A Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by keri6789 View Post
If you have read any of my previous posts, I am becoming Catholic. I have been thinking alot about my life (I'm 23) and I want God to bring the person that I am suppost to marry to me. I want someone who believes the same things that I believe. I have been reading alot about Saints and different Prayers to the Saints and I was wondering if anyone knew of a Saint that helps out with this kind of stuff!

Thanks!!

Keri
## "Sweet Saint Catherine, send me a husband,
A good one, I pray;
But arn a one better than narn a one.
O Saint Catherine, give me your aid!
Grant that I may never die an old maid!"

http://www.catholicculture.org/lit/r...ew.cfm?id=1168
Old Jan 4, '07, 1:08 pm

Default Re: Prayer or Saint to Help Find A Spouse

A novena to St. Therse of Lisieux.
Old Jan 4, '07, 2:58 pm
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic with Traditional leanings

I am in the same boat. (But I am a bit older than you.) I attend daily Mass and pray the Divine Office.

I would hope to find a nice lady who is basically a prayer warrior. Someone who would attend daily Mass and Adoration with me. Someone who will pary with me each morning and night. Someone who would God before me, as I would put God before her. And (is this too much to hope for?) young enough that we may be able to have children.

Okay, so much for the laundry list. I would also be very interested in a prayer for finding a spouse.
Old Jan 4, '07, 3:39 pm
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to keri6789

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpp View Post
I am in the same boat. (But I am a bit older than you.) I attend daily Mass and pray the Divine Office.

I would hope to find a nice lady who is basically a prayer warrior. Someone who would attend daily Mass and Adoration with me. Someone who will pary with me each morning and night. Someone who would God before me, as I would put God before her. And (is this too much to hope for?) young enough that we may be able to have children.

Okay, so much for the laundry list. I would also be very interested in a prayer for finding a spouse.
I don't think that is a laundry list! I think you are right on the botton.

Old Jan 4, '07, 6:10 pm

This is not a prayer but . . . .I have a dear Catholic friend who is blissfully married (was 48 at her marriage)to a good Catholic man. She was a career lawyer and now works a few days a week. They found ea other on avemaria.com; kind of like eharmony but catholic
Old Jan 4, '07, 6:58 pm

Hello Keri.

First, I'd like to welcome you home and wish you the best on your journey! I will be praying for you!

It wasn't too long ago that I was in a similar situation -- trying to "find" my mate (I've been married for a bit under a year). I read your subject line and it drew me in because much heartache has been had by many people over this issue, including myself, and I wanted to share some inspired advise.

I'm not saying that you haven't already done this or that this is the correct or only way to go, but for the sake of being thorough: First, I would suggest aquiring knowledge on what the Catholic Church teaches on vocations and marriage. Second, I would try and learn about what the church teaches on family, marriage, courtship, and dating. One great document that my wife and I found very enlightening can be found here: http://www.ewtn.com/library/MARRIAGE/CANA4EVE.TXT
It is a lengthy document, but well worth it.

Now, God knows and understand your desires, wants, and needs (which I'm sure you know), and knows what is best for you and in what order and magnitude certain events occur in your life for the proper formation of your heart, mind, and soul, as well as those that you interact with. I have found that the most peace and harmony in life has come from aligning my desires with God's desires for me. Psalm 37:4 expresses this point quite well, "Find your delight in the LORD who will give you your heart's desire." For the longest time my "delight" was to be with someone in marriage and my energies were focused on finding this someone -- instead of discovering more about my Savior and God. God gave me a few heartaches before I finally caught on to what He was showing me. I used to pray for my heart and His heart to beat as one...and I was so adamant and serious about it, and I believed it with all of my heart! And believe me, you'll know when they are beating together! I finally understood that He --desired-- me to find my delight in Him! Once I did that, all of my worries about finding a spouse seemed to dissappear and my spirituality and relationship with Our Lord blossomed SO MUCH!! I was at the point where I was happy and content with being single for the rest of my life if that is what God deemed best for me, Him, and His kingdom. It wasn't too long after that that God introduced me to my soulmate -- and we've experienced growth in all the little knooks and crannies that neither of us ever knew existed!

That's just my experience...

Having said that, I am 100% positive that God will answer all of your prayers about marriage and your future spouse no matter how you word them. Just be sure to be honest and genuine in your prayers and to be open to what God is trying to show you, because it may not be what you expect. The novena to St. Therese of Lisieux, as was suggested earlier, is a powerful one and I'm confident you will be blessed by her intercession. I know my wife prays with St. Monica from time to time, who is the patron saint of married women. After a little research I have discovered that St. John Francis Regis is the patron saint of marriage. I'm sure all of them will help you along your way.

Again, I wish you the best on your journey!

Many Blessings,
Nick
Old Jan 4, '07, 8:14 pm

Hi Keri,

I'm right there with you! I dearly wish to be married and have a family one day. But I try to focus mostly on my relationship with God. I try to submit myself to His will. He has always been so good to me... saved me from so much... and done wonderful things in my life! And I know that true happiness and fulfillment can only come from doing His will. So that is my main focus in life.

Still, I do "remind" Him about my desires, even though I know He already knows all about them. I also seek the intercession of St. Raphael the Archangel, who is the Patron Saint of (among other things), single people and happy meetings! He is a good person to guide us in God's will for us--and to our future spouses, if the Lord wills it!

Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing. In all circumstances give thanks, for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus. ~ 1 Thess. 5:16-18
Old Jan 5, '07, 5:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unexpected Dawn View Post
Hi Keri,

I'm right there with you! I dearly wish to be married and have a family one day. But I try to focus mostly on my relationship with God. I try to submit myself to His will. He has always been so good to me... saved me from so much... and done wonderful things in my life! And I know that true happiness and fulfillment can only come from doing His will. So that is my main focus in life.

Still, I do "remind" Him about my desires, even though I know He already knows all about them. I also seek the intercession of St. Raphael the Archangel, who is the Patron Saint of (among other things), single people and happy meetings! He is a good person to guide us in God's will for us--and to our future spouses, if the Lord wills it!

I believe that if a person wishes to have God hear our prayers then the ticket, the key , the appropriate way is written above.
Seek first the Kingdome of God, and all things? Will be given you.

I was 12 years by my self and in just wanting a relationship with Jesus, but I one day, and then a few after that, on the odd occasion said to Jesus "Lord if you have some one for me then I would love to have a woman who would love me for just being myself. However she has to be Catholic, love music, help youth, I don't mind if she has well!!, around 4 children even if they need help psychologically.

Well cutting it short 6 years ago, I met this woman and after 6 months of getting to know her she rang me one day and said something that only God could have told her. That was the beginning of a relationship that was soooo up n’ down. Hey she has 4 children, plays the piano, is catholic, youth leader and has a relationship with God. And she loves me for just being me. Neither she nor I, were looking for a partner, we only wanted a relationship with Jesus.
However we were able to have our former marriages annulled even though we weren’t thinking of marriage at the time. Well,,,,, we were married in a nuptial mass in our church three weeks ago, and the whole wedding was a God given providence. It cost us nothing and the blessings still are coming our way.

So! Seek the Lord while He is able to be found. Put Him first and ALL things will shine on you.

God bless you
littleone
Old Jan 27, '09, 10:27 pm
Observing Member

“PRAYER FOR A SUITABLE PARTNER IN LIFE”

Loving and wise Father. I pray for the light of Your wisdom and guidance as I search for true friendship that will lead me to find my suitable partner in life. Help me to patiently wait for the right person who will be my companion for all my life.Bless me Lord, that I myself may grow in these virtues; deep respect for life and for people, kindness, sincerity and generosity. Teach me to become unselfish and forgiving of others. I ask for the grace to be prepared for the commitment that I will eventually make to the particular person who will be your gift to me.Lord, accompany me all the days of my life. Draw me closer to you so that I will be able to discern you will for me. Give me the courage to decide not according to what others want, not even according to what I alone want. But may I always place my desires in accord with the designs of your heart so that may experience real peace and joy that can only come from you.Amen

http://ourcatholicprayers.blogspot.com/
Old Jan 28, '09, 6:17 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

St Raphael the archangel led Tobias to his wife. A beautiful story in the bible.
Opus Dei people pray to our Lady of fair love too. They both work. God bless.
May the Blessed Trinity and Blessed Mother along with all the Hosts of Blessed Spirits and Saints and Sublime Martyrs bless you all and the whole church and world and complete the conversion of Russia quickly and give us world peace +++. We are at the end. Bless you +++ I am John

Old Jan 28, '09, 8:38 am

Oh I remember that awkward time in my life when I too was looking and I'm a pretty tough match. I've always been a bit of a geek, not very good at sports, way smaller than all of my frineds o classmates.

For me it was devotion to Our Blessed Mother, 9 Novenas to Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception. It's tough to find parishes that still have Novenas on a regular basis. My favorite Prayer is always the Memorare :

Remember O Most gracious virgin Mary, that never was it known, that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession, was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you, oh virgin of virgins, my mother. To you I come, before thee I stand (knee), sinful and sorrowful. Oh Mother of the Word Incarnate, dispise not my petitions but in your mercy, hear and answer them. Amen

Mary has always worked wonders for me. I've been happily married for 34 years. When we had trouble having kids, she came through for us with 3 beautiful children. There is no greater saint than Our Blessed Mother. I ask other saints for various reasons, but Mary comes through with the really big things.

St Anthony is great at finding things. I rely on Mary for life changing, life threatening things.

I
Old Jan 28, '09, 8:47 am

I've always heard, "Dear Saint Anne, find me a man!"

I don't know exactly why the Blessed Virgin's mother is called upon in this way, but it's an old saying, as far as I know.

Betsy

Baltimore Catholics join me here!
Old Jan 28, '09, 10:12 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

St. Joseph.

http://members.chello.nl/~l.de.bondt/StJoseph.htm
"..I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. CHOOSE LIFE, then, that you and your descendants may live.." (Deuteronomy 30:19)
PLEASE VISIT: http://www.facebook.com/priestsforlife.org

Old Apr 3, '12, 11:15 am
Trial Membership

Hello,
Saint Joseph is the one we can pray for our request. I think.

Good luck,

Leslie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keri6789 View Post

Thanks!!

Keri

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality