Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 5, '07, 7:17 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Pregnancy after 3rd c-section

Okay, I'll admit I'm jumping the gun a little since I'm not even cycling again (dd is only 3 months old). But having this little baby around has really got me in the mood for being pregnant again. The problem is that I've had 3 c-sections. The OB said only one more after this little bundle or else I risk catastrophic rupture of my seals or valves or whatever mechanical term would be appropriate. I'm 30 and I'm already one of the oldest women I know who still wants a baby. I keep thinking do it now now now before you're too old.

Bottom line question is this: How long would you all wait before TTC another baby?

And how to broach the subject to DH? LOL! (j/k, he already knows I have BABY FEVER!)
Old Jan 6, '07, 4:23 am

Default Re: Pregnancy after 3rd c-section

didn't Kimberly Hahn have 4 c-sections followed by 2 vaginal births? of course that was in the 90's, a decade that was very pro VBAC.............i would investigate several doctors for different opinions and base the choice on what was best for your family

God Bless
Old Jan 6, '07, 8:44 am

Religion: Christian

I just had my 3rd c-section just over a week ago.

There really isn't a certain number of c-sections that you can take. It depends on YOU....not a doctor's arbitrary number.
I had several different doctors through this last pregnancy....one insisted I have my tubes tied because I'd never find a doctor willing to do another c-section on me. She told me OB's don't do more than three.

Well, the doctor who performed the c-section just asked that I wait at least six months before getting pregnant again. (probably not a problem because it took over 5 years for this child to come) He told me that I had minimal scar tissue after my repeated c-sections and my quick recovery suprised everyone.

I've spoken to many people who've had mulitiple c-sections....one woman who has had eight! After that I just ignored what the doctor said about no more than three. What are they gonna do anyway? If I get pregnant, they won't let me have a VBAC....the baby has to come out. LOLOLOL
My nurse has had five c-sections.

This baby has certainly given us hope for another. DH is a little nervous because he thinks he's too old (he's 41), but that's more secular society's rumbling in his ear. He wants another though. We are on the same page there....no convincing necessary.

Sorry for the long response.....basically, I was told wait six months to ensure my uterus is completely healed & strong enough to carry another child.
Old Jan 6, '07, 10:10 am

Many Drs will advise against repeated c-sections, as to say "don't have another child", is the easiest advice. It saves them the trouble of monitoring you in a future pregnancy, and possible complications, and I daresay assume that women only want 2 children anyway.
I was told by a pro-life Dr (and mother of 8) that there is a risk of uterine rupture during a VBAC only if the placenta attaches itself right over the old scar, and during active labour. This is a problem that can be forseen during ante-natal check-ups, and will not just rip open one day. This Dr went on to show us a slide of a lady with 13 children-all born by c-section, and told us that there really is no limit, providing one has good pre-natal care.
Old Jan 6, '07, 10:18 am

Just to let you know, I've read that a pregnancy following a c-section it is best to wait 9-12 months before conceiving because critical healing is still happening internally. Your risk for rupture goes from 1% to....not sure, but it's higher and I don't want to quote something I'm not specific about. But, you could probably google it and research.

Old Jan 6, '07, 1:38 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Happily Catholic!

The more conservative drs seem to recommend 12-18mo apart, at least. So that would mean baby would be 3-9mo old when you conceive again...... I just had my 2nd c/s last week, so we'll see what happens. I know where you're coming from though, I already want another one too.
Old Jan 6, '07, 5:34 pm

just wanted to comment that it is so interesting that they won't let women have a VBAC and they also tell them to not have another c-section...........what an anti-life society we have
Old Jan 13, '07, 10:16 pm

I agree with the two previous posters about waiting at least a year before getting pregnant. I would also recommend a second opinion. I can not have vaginal deliveries, and my pro-life OB assured me that I can have, his quote, "As many babies as you want," with c-sections. Using an old-fashioned 2-D ultrasound machine, my doctor monitors the uterine scar thickness regularly into my 3rd trimesters. Even that would not be so neccessary if I didn't brew such big babies!
I am not sure, because a previos poster said Mrs. Hahn had 2 c-sections, but a friend told me that she had had six prior c-sections.
Old Jan 18, '07, 1:20 pm

I had a Csection almost 8 years ago and an Abdominal myomectomy 2 months ago. The Ab.Myomectomy is a bigger surgery than a C-section but it is now equivalent to my having had 2 c-sections

Some doctors say it is OK to try and conceive after 3 months as the uterus will continue to heal during the pregnancy.

However my OB/GYN says wait 1 year before trying as well no trying to labor.....c-section must be done 2 week prior to due date.

DH will be 40 next month and he is desperate to have another child soon. Though we are leaving it in our Lord's hands, we will be avoiding till I see NFP Dr after the sonohysterogram next month.

Sorry I did not answer the question but none of the doctors mentioned any restriction on the # of C-Sections.

Gwyn

Wife since 1996
Mom to our miracle DS 1999

Lord, Into your Hands, I commend my spirit.
Old Jan 18, '07, 1:28 pm

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyn View Post
.....c-section must be done 2 week prior to due date.
This is the only advice I would (and have) taken issue with.
Your baby needs to stay in as long as possible to ensure the lungs have fully developed.

When I had twins....yes, c-section two weeks prior to the due date. However, with a singleton it's one week.
I even got a phone call 13 days before the due date asking me to come in that day for a c-section.......NOPE. The nurse made a mistake, once I got the doctor on the phone, she agreed I should not have it so early for a singleton....we did it one week prior.
Old Jan 19, '07, 6:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria3m View Post
Your baby needs to stay in as long as possible to ensure the lungs have fully developed.

When I had twins....yes, c-section two weeks prior to the due date. However, with a singleton it's one week.
I even got a phone call 13 days before the due date asking me to come in that day for a c-section.......NOPE. The nurse made a mistake, once I got the doctor on the phone, she agreed I should not have it so early for a singleton....we did it one week prior.
Thanks Maria3m, though 2 weeks early is 38 weeks gestation, which I thought was fine, but I will keep this in mind and ask.

Gwyn

Wife since 1996
Mom to our miracle DS 1999

Lord, Into your Hands, I commend my spirit.
Old Jan 19, '07, 10:57 pm

Rose Kennedy, the mother of the Kennedy clan had 11 c-sections and lived to a ripe old age. Of course she had servants and you can see the bad outcome of not mothering them well.

I had one c-section with a vertical incision and then I've had 5 vaginal deliveries. Raspberry tincture gently strengthens the uterus. I've used it to help with efficient labor. I'd reccomend a vaginal delivery any day.
Old Jan 20, '07, 4:18 am

Quote:

it does not need to be done at 39 weeks either. i have 2 friends that had them done past 40 weeks this year. it is best to let your body go into labor and then go get the c-sec; labor prepares the lungs and baby himself for entry into this world and also means he is ready
Old Jan 25, '07, 12:50 pm

With my first I had an emergency c-section, the second was an uncomplicated VBAC and the third was a scheduled c-section at 37 weeks due to complications. Now with this fourth baby I'm going to have another scheduled c-section at 38 weeks. I'm fine with 38 weeks as I've had babies at 41wks, 39 weeks and 37 weeks. The baby born at 37 weeks did have lung problems and was in the neonatal unit for one week. Now you'd never guess he had any problems at birth with the way he runs around. I thought with this fourth I wanted to try another vaginal but my doctor is very against it. It probably doesn't help that I told her when I cough or sneeze hard it feels like my incision area is going to split open. I have to be careful not to cough too hard because it does really hurt. Does anyone else experience this?

Anyway, my OB is not prolife (there are none in my area and the local midwives are not prolife, but prochoice in everything). Even though my OB is not prolife, she did say I can have more children after this 3rd c-section.
Old Jan 26, '07, 4:38 am

Religion: RC

There is increased risk with each CS, though. I've never had one myself, but a friend of mine was admitted to the hospital in her 30th week because of a rupture. Now, I don't think the rupture was in her uterus itself, but in a membrane around it. Geez, I'm not sure I know all of the particulars of the anatomy, but there was, indeed, a hole. So, they had to keep her until the baby was safe, and delivered baby via CS. She is a faithful Catholic and this was her 6th CS.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting