Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 24, '04, 4:29 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Gifts for First Communion and Confession?

My daughter will make both her First Confession and First Communion this coming school year. Is it customary to buy a gift for these occasions? If so what type of gift. I want this to be special for her and want her to remember them, any suggestions on a type of gift to foster a strong spiritual life?
Old Aug 24, '04, 8:27 pm

Religion: RC
Default Re: Gifts for First Communion and Confession?

A Sunday missal, that has the complete prayers of the Mass she can follow along. You can probably find a hard cover that has the lectionary readings too, which will be expensive. Magnificat is a monthly magazine that has this, and they now have a version for kids. About $20 a year but well worth it.
Old Aug 24, '04, 8:39 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic

You might also consider a Catholic bible that's age appropriate, a rosary, a crucifix or picture of the Sacred of Heart of Jesus for her room, a medal.

Congratulations! It's very exciting when your child receives Jesus in Holy Communion for the first time!
Old Aug 25, '04, 9:45 am
Book Club Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kmktexas

We gave our son a scapular medal, since the kid's were enrolled at First Communion. He also received several lovely rosaries, missals and prayer books - any would be appropriate.

Some of my son's favorite gifts were two religious themed T-shirts. He really likes wearing them and showing his faith (this might be a boy thing, though).

I do not know of any particular traditional gifts for First Confession. I teach second grade CCE and we encourage the families to have a celebration or special treat. Our family tradition is to go out for a milk shake after confession to celebrate our "clean souls".
Old Aug 25, '04, 10:10 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy_dave
My daughter will make both her First Confession and First Communion this coming school year. Is it customary to buy a gift for these occasions? If so what type of gift. I want this to be special for her and want her to remember them, any suggestions on a type of gift to foster a strong spiritual life?

I knitted my daughter a shawl to wear during her First Communion. I knit it with a pattern of three's symbolizing the Trinity. She wears the shawl to church and as a rememberance of her Communion with God. I also told her it was something she could pass down for the baptism and First Communion of her children.

If you don't knit, you may be able to seek out someone in your area to knit one for you, or there are a number of shops online that sell beautiful shawls.

Sheridan and her First Communion shawl:

Old Aug 25, '04, 10:28 am

First Communion and Confession are definitely special events, and the gifts others have mentioned here sound like wonderful opportunities to convey the events' importance to your child.

One caution, though: At my parish, the priest has a tradition of inviting the First Communicants up to the sanctuary to answer questions in front of the congregation, such as "Is Christ really present in the Eucharist?" In response to his question "Why are you so excited about receiving the Eucharist today?", one particularly eager boy answered, "Because we get money and gifts!" The congregation and the priest grimaced--and I'm sure the child's parents did too! So be sure your child understands the priorities of the event, and make sure the gifts are relevant and useful to the child's spiritual life.
Old Aug 27, '04, 1:07 pm

I come from an Italian family & it was traditional to give a statue of the Blessed Mother as a gift for First Holy Communion. I still have mine, & that was a long time ago!

There were 3 children we knew in Italy who made their Communion this year (2 relatives & one friend). In Italy it's even a bigger celebration than it is here, and they usually get the statue or a rosary from their immediate families & mostly money from everyone else. However, since we're the Americans we thought a little differently: we sent a porcelain doll to the girl because it was a little Communion girl that looked just like her, and the boy wanted baseball equipment so he could learn to play with his neighbor! Even Italians aren't always traditional.
Old Aug 27, '04, 1:11 pm

Send a message via ICQ to CD4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy_dave
Speaking as one who has worked in a good Catholic store.....books and gifts.....I would advise you to find one near you and take a look. The people there wil be able to show you things that are appropriate.

Rosaries, Children's MIssals, special picture frames, medals, etc....There are lots of choices!

Congratulations to your daughter!

Let nothing disturb you
Let nothing affraight you
All things are passing;
God never changes.

St. Teresa of Avila
1515-1582
Old Aug 27, '04, 1:22 pm

My daughter will also be taking her First Communion and having her First Confession this school year. I had already planned to make her a rosary using her birth stone.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments