Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 15, '07, 2:39 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Seven Hills of Jerusalem??????

Honestly, please forgive my ignorance, honestly.

Does Jerusalem have seven hills.

What are the seven hills?

Are the seven hills in Jerusalem or in Judea?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
Old Jan 15, '07, 2:41 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Protestant Convert to Catholicism
Default Re: Seven Hills of Jerusalem??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus Sully View Post

Let me beat them to the punch: It's ROME.

Rome is a city built upon seven hills. The Romish church is the whore of Babylon.

"It takes faith to believe in everything coming from nothing. It only takes reason to believe in everything coming from God." - Peter Kreeft

Now reading:
The Fulfillment of All Desire by Ralph Martin (this is a must-read book)
Old Jan 15, '07, 2:48 pm

Please explain!
Old Jan 15, '07, 3:00 pm

Religion: CATHOLIC

My personal belief is the seven hills are in Rome.

KJV My NAB link is down;

Daniel Chapter 11

11Yea, he magnified himself even to the prince of the host, and by him the daily sacrifice was taken away, and the place of the sanctuary was cast down.

12And an host was given him against the daily sacrifice by reason of transgression, and it cast down the truth to the ground; and it practised, and prospered.

Daniel Chapter 12

11And from the time that the daily sacrifice [Eucharist] shall be taken away, and the abomination that maketh desolate set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days.

12Blessed is he that waiteth, and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days.

13But go thou thy way till the end be: for thou shalt rest, and stand in thy lot at the end of the days.

He shall make desolate the Church by taking the place of the Pope, he being anti-Christ, and stopping the true Mass.
Old Jan 15, '07, 3:05 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)
Send a message via AIM to Mannyfit75 Send a message via MSN to Mannyfit75 Send a message via Yahoo to Mannyfit75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Carson View Post
Let me beat them to the punch: It's ROME.

Rome is a city built upon seven hills. The Romish church is the whore of Babylon.
No, it can't be. It's impossible! It can't be true. -Luke.

But you know is true. Search your feelings." -Darth Vader.

"They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not admit that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ,.." - St. Ignatius of Antioch, "Letter to the Smyrnaeans", paragraph 6. circa 80-110 A.D." - Manny
Old Jan 15, '07, 3:06 pm

The Vatican is its own country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is not even a part of the seven other hills of Rome. It is on it own hill.

Rome is in Italy.

Does Jerusalem have seven hills?

Are there seven Hills in Judea?
Old Jan 15, '07, 3:13 pm

Quote:
The Vatican is its own country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is not even a part of the seven other hills of Rome. It is on it own hill.

Rome is in Italy.
The Vatican is in Rome surrounded by the seven hills. Revelation says nothing about a Nation or Country.
Old Jan 15, '07, 3:20 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Mannyfit75 Send a message via MSN to Mannyfit75 Send a message via Yahoo to Mannyfit75

Yes Jerusalem does have Seven Hills.

"They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not admit that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ,.." - St. Ignatius of Antioch, "Letter to the Smyrnaeans", paragraph 6. circa 80-110 A.D." - Manny
Old Jan 15, '07, 3:20 pm
Forum Master

Quote:

Yes, ancient Jerusalem was built between seven hills. Today, those seven hills are a part of the city itself.

There are many cities built on seven hills, actually. Some in the USA.

Rome at the time John wrote the book of Revelation was a pagan capital that was persecuting the Christians, the Church of Christ, located there, and throughout the Roman world. This pagan Rome is most likely the Whore of Babylon John wrote about.

He could not have been referring to the Roman Catholic Church since he was, as were all Christians at the time, members of one Church, which in later times, developed into several rites (due to circumstances it would take too long to discuss here, but which were/are in union with the pope and Magisterium), of which the Roman rite is but one, although it is the largest to this day.

Tiber Swim Team, Class of '87.

Inklings!

"Sanctum erit, facere bonum" Della's blog: http://dellakmg.blogspot.com/
Old Jan 15, '07, 3:24 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

The reference to the seven hills does fit in regards to Jerusalem.

Jerusalem was a large city spreading beyond the walls of the fort and onto the seven hills there during the time of Jesus and the Apostles. Itís seven hills are; 1.) Mount Gared; 2.) Mount Goath; 3.) Mount Acra; 4.) Mount Bezetha; 5.) Mount Moriah; 6.) Mount Ophel; 7.) Mount Zion. Sometimes, some will substitute the first four with the Mount of Olives, Mount of Offence, Mount of Evil Counsel, and Mount Calvary.

Mount Calvary is presently leveled for the most part. It was a major quarry that was used for the building of the city. As the quarrymen cut into the stone layer by layer they discovered a section that was flawed. A crack in that section made it unusable so they cut around it. As they cut and cleared away the stone slabs from around the flawed section it left an outcropping rising thirty feet from the floor of the quarry to where the top of the hill had once been. It was into this flawed crack that the Romanís placed the upright beam of the cross of the criminals that they crucified to place fear into their subjects. And it was here that our Savior gave his life for our salvation.

Old Jan 15, '07, 3:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Della View Post
Yes, ancient Jerusalem was built between seven hills. Today, those seven hills are a part of the city itself.

There are many cities built on seven hills, actually. Some in the USA.

Rome at the time John wrote the book of Revelation was a pagan capital that was persecuting the Christians, the Church of Christ, located there, and throughout the Roman world. This pagan Rome is most likely the Whore of Babylon John wrote about.

He could not have been referring to the Roman Catholic Church since he was, as were all Christians at the time, members of one Church, which in later times, developed into several rites (due to circumstances it would take too long to discuss here, but which were/are in union with the pope and Magisterium), of which the Roman rite is but one, although it is the largest to this day.

He was referring to both I believe as many prophecies of the Old Testament are for the immediate as well as the future.

For example a quote from a book I am writing how Old Testament repeats in the spiritual realm
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIBLE AND THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
1 The man had relations with his wife Eve, and she conceived and bore Cain, saying, "I have produced a man with the help of the LORD." 2 Next she bore his brother Abel. Abel became a keeper of flocks, and Cain a tiller of the soil. 3 In the course of time Cain brought an offering to the LORD from the fruit of the soil, 4 while Abel, for his part, brought one of the best firstlings of his flock. The LORD looked with favor on Abel and his offering, 5 but on Cain and his offering he did not. Cain greatly resented this and was crestfallen. 6 So the LORD said to Cain: "Why are you so resentful and crestfallen? 7 If you do well, you can hold up your head; but if not, sin is a demon lurking at the door: his urge is toward you, yet you can be his master." 8 Cain said to his brother Abel, "Let us go out in the field." When they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him. 9 Then the LORD asked Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" He answered, "I do not know. Am I my brother's keeper?" 10 The LORD then said: "What have you done! Listen: your brother's blood cries out to me from the soil!

I do not usually quote such large portions of the Bible, but I feel it is necessary to explain this very complicated yet simple concept. Why was Cainís sacrifice not looked upon with favor by God? After all he worked hard to bring forth the fruits of his labor, and all Abel did was watch over some sheep. Abel brought forth the ďfirstlingĒ and God looked upon it with favor. This mystery is explained by the crucifixion of Christ. God offered up his first born as a sacrifice for our salvation, and Cain offered up the work of his hands. While important, the work of our hands is not sufficient for our salvation. We need Jesus, the sacrifice of the lamb. This is what God is telling us in this scripture.

I always wondered why Cain killed Abel. It became evident to me through the Church. Just as Abel offered the sacrifice of the innocent so did God offer his Son. Those who offer the sacrifice of their hands only, are envious of the Church, they are of the world. Therefore, God reveals though scripture the martyrs of the Church. Just as Cain slaughtered Abel so have our saints been slaughtered, and their blood cries out to the heavens.
Old Jan 15, '07, 3:47 pm

Revelations does not mentin Rome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 15, '07, 3:51 pm

Della

What are the Biblical names of the Seven Hills.

Thanks!!
Old Jan 15, '07, 3:59 pm

Mannyfit75

Might I have the Biblical passages,

AND THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 15, '07, 4:04 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus Pallidus View Post
The Vatican is in Rome surrounded by the seven hills. Revelation says nothing about a Nation or Country.
The Vatican is not surrounded by the seven hills of Rome. The Vatican sits on its own hill on the other side of the Tiber River.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics