Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 19, '07, 2:08 pm

Religion: Catholic
Question Baptism during Lent

Our Parish will not baptize during lent, and the same goes for other former parishes of ours. Assuming this is correct, where would I find this restriction documented? The GIRM?

What seems odd to me, is this...
The Church specifically dictates that "sacramentals" such as holy water, not be withheld from the faithful during lent, since the people have the right and the need for those sacramentals...especially during lent.

Makes sense to me, however...
This being the case, why don't the faithful have the same need for ALL of the sacraments during lent.
Old Jan 19, '07, 2:27 pm
Banned

Default Re: Baptism during Lent

It is possible to get baptized during lent. I am the godfather of a child who was baptized during lent. It is up to the pastor to allow. This being said. A pastor must perform a baptism to a child if in danger of death.
Old Jan 19, '07, 2:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by decn2b View Post
It is possible to get baptized during lent. I am the godfather of a child who was baptized during lent. It is up to the pastor to allow. This being said. A pastor must perform a baptism to a child if in danger of death.
Thanks for the example, however where is this requirement/restriction spelled out?

(first, that the issue is even addressed, and second that the pastor has the authority to decide whether or not baptisms can be performed during lent?)
Old Jan 19, '07, 2:44 pm
Banned

I don't know where it (or if it) is printed, but my son was baptized during Lent.
Old Jan 19, '07, 5:11 pm
Forum Master

There is no such restriction in Church Law.

In fact, it's contrary on Church teaching on Baptism, which states that Baptism should be done "within a few weeks of birth"
Old Jan 20, '07, 1:25 am

Quote:
Originally posted by sfp
...What seems odd to me, is this...
The Church specifically dictates that "sacramentals" such as holy water, not be withheld from the faithful during lent, since the people have the right and the need for those sacramentals...especially during lent.
During Lent in my former parish, the holy water was removed from the baptismal font and from the tiny bowls. Small rocks were placed in the small bowls devoid of holy water. Of course, the idea was to remind us of the dryness of our Lenten "desert experience" before the joy and life of Easter. (Isn't it strange to note that the water as a symbol for life was removed yet what happens at Mass is the very essence of life.) I found it amusing during Lent to see many of the school children picking up the rocks in the bowls and blessing themselves with them as they would with water when entering the sanctuary. After I left, I became aware of the above statement and realized that the holy water should have been present at least somewhere in the church during Lent.
Old Jan 20, '07, 5:31 am
Forum Master

Here is the relevant Canons

Quote:
Can. 843 1 Sacred ministers may not deny the sacraments to those who opportunely ask for them, are properly disposed and are not prohibited by law from receiving them.
Quote:
Can. 867 1 Parents are obliged to see that their infants are baptized within the first few weeks. As soon as possible after the birth, indeed even before it, they are to approach the parish priest to ask for the sacrament for their child, and to be themselves duly prepared for it.

Unless the pastor can produce Particular Law on why Baptisms cannot happen in Lent, the priest is obligated to arrange a time to Baptize the child.
Old Jan 20, '07, 9:02 am
Banned
Book Club Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Karin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
In fact, it's contrary on Church teaching on Baptism, which states that Baptism should be done "within a few weeks of birth"
AMAZING ...so I wonder why so many parents wait MONTHS to baptize their children after they are born??
Old Jan 20, '07, 9:21 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin View Post
AMAZING ...so I wonder why so many parents wait MONTHS to baptize their children after they are born??
So they can plan a party more easily?? I don't know.

Speaking from very personal and recent experience ( our 5th child was baptized last week),

http://forums.catholic-convert.com/v...=65657&start=0

It's hard to arrange a large gathering, but that really isn't the point of Baptism is it?

For us, we had cold cuts in the parish hall afterwards
Old Jan 20, '07, 9:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beno View Post
During Lent in my former parish, the holy water was removed from the baptismal font and from the tiny bowls. Small rocks were placed in the small bowls devoid of holy water. Of course, the idea was to remind us of the dryness of our Lenten "desert experience" before the joy and life of Easter. (Isn't it strange to note that the water as a symbol for life was removed yet what happens at Mass is the very essence of life.) I found it amusing during Lent to see many of the school children picking up the rocks in the bowls and blessing themselves with them as they would with water when entering the sanctuary. After I left, I became aware of the above statement and realized that the holy water should have been present at least somewhere in the church during Lent.
I always thought that these little rocks were intended for stoning the liturgists.
Old Jan 20, '07, 1:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfp View Post
Our Parish will not baptize during lent, and the same goes for other former parishes of ours. Assuming this is correct, where would I find this restriction documented? The GIRM?
...:

The introduction to the Rite of Baptism for Children has a section entitled "Time and Place for Baptism of Children" numbers 8-14. It is detailed and includes in 8(4):
"... it is for the pastor, keeping in mind whatever regulations have been laid down by the conference of bishops, to determine the time for the baptism of infants.
9. To bring out the paschal character of baptism, it is recommended that the sacrament be celebrated during the Easter Vigil or on Sunday, when the Church commemorates the Lord's resurrection. ...". (From The Rites Volume One, Liturgical Press, 1990, ISBN: 0-8146-6015-0.)

The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults has:
"26. The entire rite of Christian initiation is normally arranged so that the sacraments will be celebrated during the Easter Vigil. Because of unusual circumstances and pastoral needs, however, the rite of election and the rites belonging to the period of purification and enlightenment may be held outside Lent and the sacraments of initiation may be celebrated at a time other than the Easter Vigil or Easter Sunday." (The Rites Volume One, Liturgical Press, 1990, ISBN: 0-8146-6015-0, page 43).

Clearly in danger of death Lent makes no difference: "If the infant is in danger of death, it is to be baptised without any delay." (The Code of Canon Law: New Revised English Translation, HarperCollins Liturgical, 1997, ISBN 0-00-599375-X. canon 867 2).

"An adult in danger of death may be baptised if, with some knowledge of the principal truths of the faith, he or she has in some manner manifested the intention to receive baptism and promises to observe the requirements of the christian religion." (Canon 865 2).
Old Jan 20, '07, 2:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin View Post
For us, it's when we can get at least 1 God parent present (we choose family and they all live far from us) and when the Parish says you have to wait until after Lent. It's hard to fight with the Priest, even if you want to. It is a lot to coordinate--and no it's NOT for the party, but so that we can share the Baptism with at least some of our extended family. I'm sure other's have their reasons as well. It's a bit uncharitable to think it's always because of a party.......

Jennifer
Old Jan 20, '07, 3:27 pm
Banned
Book Club Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Karin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer J View Post
For us, it's when we can get at least 1 God parent present (we choose family and they all live far from us) and when the Parish says you have to wait until after Lent. It's hard to fight with the Priest, even if you want to. It is a lot to coordinate--and no it's NOT for the party, but so that we can share the Baptism with at least some of our extended family. I'm sure other's have their reasons as well. It's a bit uncharitable to think it's always because of a party.......

Jennifer
Jennifer...
I never stated that people waited so they could have a bigger party or whatever...I asked WHY they waited MONTHS in the first place...some one else made the comment about the party
Old Jan 20, '07, 4:41 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beno View Post
During Lent in my former parish, the holy water was removed from the baptismal font and from the tiny bowls. Small rocks were placed in the small bowls devoid of holy water.

That is prohibited by the Vatican.

Quote:
Prot. N. 569/00/L

Dear Father:

March 14, 2000

This Congregation for Divine Worship has received your letter sent by fax in which you ask whether it is in accord with liturgical law to remove the Holy Water from the fonts for the duration of the season of Lent.

This Dicastery is able to respond that the removing of Holy Water from the fonts during the season of Lent is not permitted, in particular, for two reasons:
(more....)

http://www.adoremus.org/HolyWater.html

Last edited by Marian Carroll; Jan 21, '07 at 12:47 am. Reason: RULES ON POSTING ARTICLES/REF MATLS
Old Jan 20, '07, 6:21 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Godparents do not need to be physically present, but a proxy can be used.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments