Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 26, '07, 11:40 pm
Banned

Religion: Protestant
Default Do the catholic people worship Mary?

A friend of mind has forwarded me a song that she was taught in the 2nd Grade as her catholic school. Listed her.

"Daily, daily sing to Mary Sing, my soul, her praises due;
All her feasts, her actions worship, With the heart's devotion true.
She is mighty to deliver; Call her, trust her lovingly;
When the tempest rages round thee, She will calm the troubled sea.

Gifts of heaven she has given, Noble Lady, to our race;
She the Queen who decks her subject, With the light of God's own grace." (Baltimore Catechism No.1, 63)

notice the ********
If Roman Catholics do not worship Mary, then why does line three say to worship her? Take in consideration that in Rev.19:10, it says, "And I fell at his feet to worship him [the angel of God], And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellow-servant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God:"

These titles of idolerty are added to Mary by the catholic church over 1700 years.
"Ark of the Covenant
Seat of wisdom
Morning star
The burning bush
Jacob's ladder
Benefactress
Advocate
Helper
Guide
Foundation of the Church
Sign of hope
Restorer of life
Majestic cloud that led Israel
Mary was not created until the time of Jesus she is creation and did not in any way exist before the birth of Christ. In the Giving of the titles the church is climing that Mary is God. each one of the titles are titles of God this is blasphemy and idolery.
The Catholic Church teaches that all graces flow through Mary; therefore, she is present in all the sacraments. That means, if a Christian attends mass or prays with a Catholic, he must join with the spirit of idolatry, who claims to be able to give the grace that God alone can give. Now we have Mary taking the place of the Holy Spirit! What blasphemy!

"WHEN DOES A PERSON SIN BY SUPERSTITION? - A person sins by superstition when he attributes to a creature a power that belongs to God alone to another."
Old Jan 26, '07, 11:44 pm
Banned

Default Re: Do the catholic people worship Mary?

However, Jesus Christ is called many things in Scripture. Here are just a few of the names that are given to Him.

Advocate 1 John 2:1
Author of Eternal Salvation Hebrews 5:9
Bread of Life John 6:35
Chief Shepherd 1 Peter 5:4
Creator of All Things Colossians 1:16
Deliverer Romans 11:26
Emmanuel (God with us) Matthew 1:23
Friend of Sinners Matthew 11:19
Good Shepherd John 10:11
Great High Priest Hebrews 4:14
I Am John 8:58
Intercessor Hebrews 7:25
King of Kings Revelation 17:14
Lamb of God John 1:29
Life John 14:6
Lord of Lords Revelation 17:14
Mediator 1 Timothy 2:5
Messiah John 4:25
Redeemer Isaiah 59:20
Resurrection John 11:25
Testator Hebrews 9:16
True God 1 John 5:20
Truth John 14:6
Word of Life 1 John 1:1

Let me give you a few statistics in closing to show you the unimportance of Mary and why we shouldn't regard her as highly as she is.

The spoken words of Jesus Christ in the four gospels plus the books.

Let me give you a few statistics in closing to show you the unimportance of Mary and why we shouldn't regard her as highly as she is.

The spoken words of Jesus Christ in the four gospels plus the books of Acts, 1st and 2nd Corinthians and Revelation total 41,544. The spoken words of Mary in the gospels alone total 190. There are almost 220 times more recorded words of Jesus in the Bible. Why? Because what He had to say was more important.

There are almost 40 recorded miracles in the gospels that were performed by Jesus Christ and none that were performed by Mary. Why? Because Jesus was God and Mary was just a woman who was a sinner and needed a Saviour.

The name of Jesus alone is mentioned 625 times in the four gospels. This does not include any other reference to Him. The name of Mary (Jesus' mother) in only mentioned 23 times.

Who do you think is more important?

Show me one verse in the Bible where someone went to Mary to be healed?
Show me one verse that describes a miracle that Mary performed?
Show me one verse where a demon trembled at the name of "Mary"?
Old Jan 26, '07, 11:46 pm
Banned

Was Mary ever called "I AM"? No! But Jesus was. (John 8:58-59) Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

And so was God. (Exodus 3:14) And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

In the New Testament Jesus was called "I AM":

(John 6:35) And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

(John 8:12) Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

(John 10:9) I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

(John 10:11) I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

(John 11:25) Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

(John 14:6) Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

(John 15:1) I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.

(Revelation 22:13) I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

(Revelation 22:16) I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

Did Mary die on the cross? No! Did Mary shed her blood for salvation? No! Jesus did and I'm glad. Jesus Christ is the Saviour. Jesus Christ is God. The Bible tells us in Mark 12:30 "And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment." And in Exodus 20:2-3 "I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

Worshipping anyone other than God is idolatry.
Old Jan 27, '07, 12:07 am

Religion: Catholic (typical hardcore papist)

As a Catholic I would agree, it is wrong to Worship Mary if worship is understood as the adoration given only to God.

There is honor which is commanded by Jesus to be given to one another and this is called worship in the King James Bible.

Now anyone accusing Catholics of worshipping Mary, doesn't understand Catholic worship and is guilty of bearing false witness.

The Christian worship service is centered around the Sacrifice of Jesus at Mass. If you would like me to explain how Christians worship Jesus at Mass I can certainly do that, it seems that someone has lied to you and misrepresented Catholic belief to twist the love we have for one of God's creatures as worship.

So can you explain the Catholic worship service?
You sure are good at misrepresenting God's truth can you please try and honestly explain what you think is Catholic worship.

In Christ
Scylla

I would also like to invite you to renounce Satan and all his works. Would you do that with me?
1 Timothy 3:15
Old Jan 27, '07, 1:31 am

Religion: RCIA

Joseph you are very confused about Catholic beliefs.

The Catholic Church is very old and does have some phrases that are unfamilar to modern ears.

Officials in other countires are sometimes called "Your worship." This doesn't mean that anyone is worshipping them.
Old Jan 27, '07, 1:52 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic

Joseph, you surely must have heard the form of marriage - used in many weddings, both Catholic and non-Catholic Christian - where in the vows the couple say to each other the words 'with my body I thee worship'.

Are the couple being honest when each partner says these words to the other? For the most part yes.

Does saying them detract one whit from their worship of God? Are they committing idolatry by saying so? Absolutely not. They are using what's called flowery language, and the all-important intent behind such language stops WELL short of giving anyone other than God what is his due.

So it is when we say such things to or about Mary. On the day when we start addressing the prayers of the Mass to her, or claiming that it is in fact her body and blood that we are receiving in the Eucharist unto everlasting life rather than Christ's, that will be when you know we've got our priorities wrong.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Jan 27, '07, 2:20 am
Forum Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to geezerbob

Mr. Smith, the one big mistake you are making here is trying to tell us what we believe, then condemning us for it. If you want to discuss something, why don't you find out what we really believe, then we can talk about it. Otherwise, you are spreading falsehoods, which is the work of the devil, and you may well be asked to take your soapbox to another corner.

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Old Jan 27, '07, 2:36 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Is that song an official infallible church document?
Old Jan 27, '07, 3:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Smith View Post
If Roman Catholics do not worship Mary, then why does line three say to worship her?
Your question makes as much sense as asking, If Roman Catholics think the homosexual lifestyle is sinful, then why do they sing the Christmas song Deck the Halls which has the line that says, "Don we now our gay apparel. Fa la la la la la la la la."

The meaning of the word worship has changed slightly since the song you mention was composed or translated into English. Today the word worship usually means honor as a divine being but back then the word worship had two meanings: 1) honor as a divine being and 2) honor as a human being of importance. In the song about Mary that you mention, the second meaning of worship is the intended meaning, i.e., honor Mary as a human being of importance.
Old Jan 27, '07, 4:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Easton View Post
Your question makes as much sense as asking, If Roman Catholics think the homosexual lifestyle is sinful, then why do they sing the Christmas song Deck the Halls which has the line that says, "Don we now our gay apparel. Fa la la la la la la la la."

LOL! Exactly.

Judges are still called "your worship" in some places. But that isn't meant in the modern sense of the word "worship." It means only "honor." Neither do we "worship" Mary in the present sense of the word. We worship God alone. Worship of anything or anyone else would be idolatry.
Old Jan 27, '07, 4:59 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic Christian

Dear brother Joseph.
Firstly I want to compliment you on going to catholic.com to get an answer. As Jesus says: seek and you shall find
I really understand where you are coming from and that some observation of Catholic behaviour can confuse a brother who is not familiar with the underlying reasons.

Firstly I want to to warmly recommend you to hear the audios on this web page: www.bringyou.to/apologetics/audio.htm
I recommend you especially the ones called "touch questions by non-catholics)" I particularly like Scott Hahn and Tim Stables as well as Steve Ray... these gentlemen know exactly what it means to be anti-catholic because they have been so them selves (I am not implying that you are anti-catholic
Give it a chance and you wont regret it.. there are answers to every good question and also the one you pose here... and its much faster than reading a book.

Now to adress shortly the point in question.
The Catholic person does not worship Mary but we do honour her. Jesus teaches us to the full extent that we must honour our parents. He did this Him self. Now the Catholic stance is that Mary is not only Mother of God-Jesus but also our mother. The reasons for this is manyfold when we look into Scripture but I will quote just two places: the first place is in Luke when Jesus says to John: "Behold your Mother". Another one is - and this is more persuasive to me as a former evangelical - Rev 12: 17 which is a discription of the people who believe in Jesus, as being also children of Mary (If you are open to the interpretation in Rev 12 of the Woman clothed in the Sun and with 12 stars as being not only a vision of a representative of the Church or the people of Israel but indeed also the Mother of God, Mary.

Now there is overwhelmingly much Scriptural evidence for the Catholic Marian dogma but we do not have the time to go in to that here. I will return to your question. What is going on with Mary.
You might wanna say: Why do you speak to dead people and why not just go to Jesus only? These are common objections from Protestants and Evangelicals. One must first ask: Where does it say in the Bible that they are dead? In fact we are taught that people who are in Christ are not only very much alive but also very just.. if you put those two together you have a powerful intercessor. You might then say: but why pray to her? The answer is that one does not exclude the other. going to Mary does not mean excluding Jesus.. He is the only one who has the power to heal and all that... But if you are sick then you will most possibly go to your best friend and ask, would you pray for me? It's indeed Biblical. You will also go to Jesus.. but you would also like, when you are in need, to go to a person whom you know Jesus has blessed highly to ask for them to lay hands on you and pray.
When it comes to statues and pictures of saints.. There is always to be balance.. superstition is condemned by the Church as is sorcery and such things.. but you need to know what goes on in peoples' heads. I have a picture of my mother in my room here next to my computer.. because I love her and it reminds me of her. I also have pictures of Jesus and of Mary, and I honour Mary and have feelings for her because of who she is in Christ.. she is my sister and mother and friend.. And it is written that Mary said: "From now on all generations shall call me blessed"

This is both a long answer and a very short one considering your question. But I hope you can use the thoughts.. there are so many more.. and I really urge you to listen to those audios ... these people are very kind and humble and they know their Bible

God bless you dear brother. Praised be the Lord
Grace.

Ps. Hope you will excuse my spelling. I am not an American.
Old Jan 27, '07, 8:14 am
Book Club Member

Other songs that speak of worshipping a woman:

All men need someone to worship and adore,
That's why I treasure you and place you high above.

From "Bernadette" by The Four Tops

I was made to love her,
Worship and adore her

From "I Was Made to Love Her" by Stevie Wonder

"Worship" obviously can mean something besides the adoration meant for God alone.
Old Jan 27, '07, 10:52 am

Religion: Ukrainian Greek Catholic

Do Mormons worship Joseph Smith? I hope not. Why not? Because he's not God. Do you revere him and honor his name? Of course you do - your poster name is doing just that! In that same respect, Catholics and Orthodox revere the Blessed Virgin Mary for her unique role in our salvation. She is the face that Christ most closely reflects. He received his flesh from her. So please understand that we do not worship her, but rather honor her as she bore our Saviour and is therefore the Mother of our Redemption. Remember, such a title does not imply she is better than Christ or God, but rather that she bore our Redeemer . God bless you!

Prayers and petitions,
Alexius
Old Jan 27, '07, 10:55 am
Banned

As sinners people worship the work of there hands, there education, there self rightious, there ablility, there lies, thre false concepts, there one self worth, there thinking or lack there of and they worship them all thinking they are all correct.
As a christian we are told to put off the former conduct And to put on the mind of Christ. Christ is God in the flesh and he also is our example of walking the faith out in truth. To a christian whom is seeking God and is seeking to be correct before God would indicate a good heart. Christ is the one and only person we have to Go to for wisdom as to the things that are correct and rightious in reguards to our conduct before God and in how to live correctly to God. Chist is the example God has given for all christians. Christians are being conformed in his image. So as we are being conformed to his image then he is the example we must all defer to.
The apostles are his voice to his church and in his wisdom he has given us the bible. From the beginning of the bible to the end the main focus is that God has created man and Man does not know God. Yeat we see a man here and there who know GOD, Aberham mouse ect. even a few woman have come to the truth of God as shown by God. God picks a people Israel and shows himself strong on there behalf. They in return rebell and worship all manner to things until God visits destruction on them many times. The point being God does not change. It is to be noted that Father God changes not. His wrath is stored up for those who do such.
The religious leader of then israel also engaged in worship of false idols even making the law a idol before God, engaging in all manner of sin before God. How did God expose there vast sin, he sent Jesus the promised messiah. You can't really look at Jesus and not be faced with your own sin. To look at Jesus you have to study the scriptures he gave and the revelations that the Holy Apostles of God gave. You can't know God and worship other gods and you can't be saved and follow another christ. In worshiping any person in anyform other then God. That makes them your lord before the Lord of lords. To pray to another person makes that person your god and you have rejected the one true God. Sin is anything that seperates you from God. And the worship of creation over the creator is sin.
Our knowedge and wisdom as christians first and formost comes from fellowship with the Word of God. This fellowship comes in the form of the study of his word, And in praying into Christ. Our one mediator between God and man. We enter into the presents of Christ each time we pray. Thus we need not other person to mediate. A born again christian is a Priest and as spirit existing in a body. In times of prayer we enter into the presents of God presenting our pertition directly unto God thru Christ. Each of us is a extention of a Christ. We have the spirit of Christ indwelling in us and the spirit of the father is with in us. We are the tabernacle made with out hands, As each christian is a spiritual tabernacle in which Christ dwells and the Father dwells the only person that can present your prayers to Father is Christ who is in you. Thus God made each christian a priest unto God. You see you are not praying to God in heaven you are praying to God the hope of Glory in you. Thus Christ came preaching the Kingdom of God is at hand. What Kingdom a new Kingdom that has never existed. ***So are there any other people in the tabernacle of your body named Peter Paul & Mary. No one is in your spirit body execpt Christ and the Father and you. You in effect are a copy of the trinity and the heavenly tabernacle. So if none of these past saints can be in your tabernacle then can they recieve prayer and present them to God in you. No they can't!
Yeat there is a also the existance of the eternal GOD in heaven and his Sons abode. And they exist in another state also. But as you know all these great things i need not insturct you in Error.
Old Jan 27, '07, 11:08 am

If Catholics worshipped Mary, then Marian devotions would be required. They are not.

2000 years of Christ's Church: 1
Joseph Smith's 100-year old man-made doctrine: 0

Scott

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics