Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 28, '04, 7:53 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Exclamation Just How hard is it to get into heaven?

How hard is it to get to heaven? I heard most people are going to Hell?
Old Aug 28, '04, 8:40 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Just How hard is it to get into heaven?

I am not sure, but how hard is it to get a camel through the eye of a needle..

I am sure it is not as easy as many people think because Christ did say the gate is narrow, only wide for those leading to destruction.

I just keep praying, attending daily Mass, do acts of kindness, work on all my faults and hope to make it to purgatory. Heaven of course is the goal, but everything I have read says heaven is not so easy...
But I have high hopes and keep on prayin on..
Old Aug 28, '04, 9:00 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy_dave
There is no way of measuring the difficulty or the ease of getting to heaven. The apostle Paul was, by most people's standards, a sure bet to go to heaven. But Paul says of himself in 1 Cor 4:4, "I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me." The short answer is we really don't know. On the flip side we don't need to know. If we did, God would give us a personal revelation as to our final destination.

Instead, God has laid out in scripture and through the teachings of His Church the fullness of His plan. We are blessed with the assurance that Satan will be defeated. We are blessed with God's grace. We are blessed with the supernatural gifts of faith, hope and charity. Our God, in His overwhelming love and generosity, has provided us with atonement and reconciliation through the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross.

If we love God with our whole mind, heart, soul, and strength and have the obedience of faith described in the book of Romans, then we have nothing to fear. In fact, we can look forward with joy and confidence. We have the Church, the Eucharist and the sacrament of Reconciliation. God's grace is their for us, and it goes out to us in power. By God's grace we can overcome our sinfulness and grow ever closer to the Lord.

We have a righteous, awesome, and loving God that wants us to get to heaven even more than we do.
Old Aug 29, '04, 12:20 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
I have wondered about this same thing on many ocassions. If you love God with all your mind, all your strength, all your soul, and all your heart, you should have no problem because you will obey all of the other commandments. But how many people could say that they do and be telling the truth? Not very many. We all go against Gods commandments rom time to time. The point is, if we are unwilling to do his will how concerned are we with the state of our soul and our eternal life?

God gives us many chances to show our love for him but on many of those occasions we reject him. I think it may be quite hard to get into Heaven, but there is no way to be sure.

The ultimate goal is to love God because he is, and not because he can give us life in Heaven.
Old Aug 29, '04, 10:59 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy
God gives us many chances to show our love for him but on many of those occasions we reject him. I think it may be quite hard to get into Heaven, but there is no way to be sure.
No, there isn't. The only sure thing is that if it weren't for His mercy, we'd all deserve going to hell.

Old Aug 30, '04, 12:11 pm

Jesus said the gate is narrow but we also know that God desires that everyone be saved and that those who end up in Hell lock the door from the inside.
Old Aug 30, '04, 12:20 pm

Religion: catholic
Send a message via ICQ to Richard Lamb Send a message via AIM to Richard Lamb Send a message via MSN to Richard Lamb Send a message via Yahoo to Richard Lamb

Quote:
it is really not hard, what I find amazing is realizing that one goes to hell as an act of their will.

Richard Lamb
Old Aug 31, '04, 5:16 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy
I have wondered about this same thing on many ocassions. If you love God with all your mind, all your strength, all your soul, and all your heart, you should have no problem because you will obey all of the other commandments. But how many people could say that they do and be telling the truth? Not very many. We all go against Gods commandments rom time to time. The point is, if we are unwilling to do his will how concerned are we with the state of our soul and our eternal life?

The ultimate goal is to love God because he is, and not because he can give us life in Heaven.
Hello Jimmy,
You are reading the scriptures in reverse. To obey the commandments with all your heart, strength, mind and soul is to love God with all your heart, strength, mind and soul. You do not have to love and obey perfectly. You only have to love and obey with all your strength. Therefore everyone is able to love God because the bar is only set at the level that their strength is capable to attain. The problem is that people loose the desire to even love God at this level.

Peace in Christ,
Steven Merten
www.ILOVEYOUGOD.com
Old Aug 31, '04, 5:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley259
Jesus said the gate is narrow but we also know that God desires that everyone be saved and that those who end up in Hell lock the door from the inside.
Note also in the same quote that Jesus doesn't answer the question "Are there many who will be saved?" Better to concentrate on doing well than on whether you are doing just well enough to squeak through. Jesus says many will try to enter and not be able... do not underestimate the process.
Old Aug 31, '04, 10:30 pm

Religion: RC

I don't have time or energy to worry about whether or not anybody else is going to hell, it takes all my effort to keep myself out. In fact, I am pretty sure they are all going to heaven, but I am trying to learn how to trust God and be able to float on a cloud and stop dog-paddling.
Old Sep 1, '04, 8:26 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic and proud of it! Praise God!

It is easy to get into heaven if you obey the commandments of Jesus! 'f'aith in Jesus is not enough, 'F'aith is. Your 'F'aith is proven by your works.

2 Tim 4:6-7 "For I am even now ready to be sacrificed: and the time of my dissolution is at hand. I have fought a good fight: I have finished my course: I have kept the faith." Have you?
Old Sep 1, '04, 8:27 pm

I heard someone say one that 25% of people will go to heaven.

That is based on the parable of the sower and the seeds. From memory - 25% were trampled, 25% landed on poor soil, 25% were chocked by weeds and 25% grew well. I am not personally adding to or taking away from this parable or any book of the Bible and I disclaim any knowledge of what I just wrote or that I even wrote it.

Steve Merten..
I think Jimmy was correct. Why do you disagree? God is love and love always comes first.
Old Sep 1, '04, 9:44 pm

Free tickets are given every sunday at mass, the more you go, the more you get and when your time comes, you are matched up with who left the same time as you and if you have more, then you get to go in, however, if you have less, well that's why we have purgatory. I really enjoy your questions, they make me think.
Old Sep 1, '04, 9:59 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisg93
I heard someone say one that 25% of people will go to heaven.

That is based on the parable of the sower and the seeds. From memory - 25% were trampled, 25% landed on poor soil, 25% were chocked by weeds and 25% grew well. I am not personally adding to or taking away from this parable or any book of the Bible and I disclaim any knowledge of what I just wrote or that I even wrote it.

Steve Merten..
I think Jimmy was correct. Why do you disagree? God is love and love always comes first.
The parable of the Sower only indicates that "some" seed fell in each of these areas, it did not indicate it by percentage. Besides it's a parable and not designed to give specific numbers. And thank goodness for that because those would be some scary numbers.
Old Sep 2, '04, 1:13 pm

Quote:
How hard is life in general? People who get into heaven lived a life. Some people find life hard, some find it easy. I suppose it is a point of view, like the half empty or full glass. Jesus says his yoke is easy and the burden is light, but obviously it is not perceived that way by many.

Think of Confession. Talk about an easy thing. Waltz in there, list some stuff, say a few hail mary's, waltz out. Five minutes of easy easy. But I am being naive. Clearly, it can be excruciatingly hard. Yet, it really is easy in an objective sense. All of life is like that. Easy yet hard. Well, except for some things, like extreme pain from bone cancer, stuff like that.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence