Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 2, '07, 5:39 am
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Rite of baptism text in English

Hi. Does anyone know where I can find the Roman Catholic text for the Rite of Baptism and the Rite of Marriage in English? Thanks very much
Old Feb 2, '07, 6:57 am
Banned

Religion: Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Default Re: Rite of baptism text in English

Quote:
Originally Posted by asgr8 View Post
Hi. Does anyone know where I can find the Roman Catholic text for the Rite of Baptism and the Rite of Marriage in English? Thanks very much
In mass or out of mass?
Old Feb 2, '07, 10:23 am
Observing Member

Out of mass for both. Also, in case a catholic layman, is asked to perform a baptism to a dying person or someone who wishes to be baptised but conditions do not allow the participation of a priest/deacon/or bishop, what formula is used to perform a legit. Catholic baptism? I read in the Catechism I think that it is possible for a layman to do so.
Thanks.
Old Feb 2, '07, 7:28 pm

Religion: Catholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asgr8 View Post
Out of mass for both. Also, in case a catholic layman, is asked to perform a baptism to a dying person or someone who wishes to be baptised but conditions do not allow the participation of a priest/deacon/or bishop, what formula is used to perform a legit. Catholic baptism? I read in the Catechism I think that it is possible for a layman to do so.
Thanks.
In the event of an emergency any person may baptize. Pour natural water over the forehead thrice (at the invocation of each of the three Persons of the Trinity) and say: "I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."
Old Feb 2, '07, 8:21 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Cradle Catholic

The key is in an emergency...at the point of eminent death within a matter of minutes. Lay people are not the ordinary ministers of the sacrament of baptism. However, in most cases, even if the person is in a non-Catholic hospital or nursing home, a priest will make an effort to come and perform any sacraments, they just need to be notified by family or hospital staff.
Old Feb 24, '07, 11:00 am
Observing Member

I need the text of the rite of Baptism too...in a mass. I'm a theology student at a pentecostal school. I have an assignment to write the ceremony of a baby dedication and a water baptism--I'm trying to combine them and make it an infant baptism/baby dedication (I'm Catholic, I want it to be practical to me). I know they are basically together in the Catholic church, but I need a guide to follow. I'm sure priests have little ceremony booklets to follow. I'm having a hard time finding the process online. Does anyone know where I can find the procedure?
Old Feb 24, '07, 1:22 pm

Religion: Traditional Catholic
Smile Re: Rite of baptism text in English

http://fisheaters.com/baptism2.html

This is the traditional Rite of baptism.. Far richer than what is done in most catholic churches today

quick sample from site..

Baptism can take place as a "stand alone" ceremony, or in the context of a Mass. The Rite itself is divided into 4 parts with different sub-parts, each bringing the catechumen further into the church building with each step, symbolizing initiation into the Church Herself:

Part I: In the Narthex of the Church:
The Questioning, the Exsufflation, The Sign of the Cross, The Imposition of Hands, The Imposition of Salt

Part II: Admission into the Church Building:
Exorcism, The Sign of the Cross, The Imposition of Hands, The Admission into the Church, The Credo and Pater

Part III: In the Nave:
The Solemn Exorcism, The Ephphetha, The Renunciation of Satan, The Annointing

Part IV: At the Font:
The Profession of Faith, Baptism, The Annointing with Chrism, The White Linen Cloth, The Lighted Candle, The Last Words of Good Will

(Note that if a person is to be baptized during the Easter Vigil, the first 3 parts above might take place some time earlier than the Vigil itself. Then, during the Vigil, the rite is continued again starting with the Part IV.)

Old Feb 25, '07, 10:10 am

Religion: Catholic (Latin)

With due respect to your academic courses in a pentecostalist school of theology and your good intentions, it is probably appropriate to consider whether it is appropriate to use the rites of the Catholic Church in an attempt to construct some hybrid ceremony of some kind for another ecclesial community.

These belong to the Catholic Church, to her people and her ministers. They are not intended for some modification to serve other purposes, even as an academic exercise, but to express the faith of the Catholic Church and to convey the grace of a Sacrament of salvation through the administration of its legitimate ministers.

We do not - in fact - envision any dedication of an infant through the rites of Catholic baptism at all. They are not, contrary to your post, connected in our rites for the baptism of children at all. Perhaps, as a Catholic, it will be most helpful for you to approach a Catholic priest on this point and to clarify the meaning of baptism from the Catholic point of view. The priest should be able to assist you.

You should also be aware as well that an attempt to use the Catholic rites for such a purpose, for which they are not intended, will be found as offensive to many Catholics.

I would add to Devotus, having now baptized a couple hundred children myself, that the present rites for Baptism are tremendously rich in scripture, reverence, and expressive of Catholic tradition. I cannot make the claim, as Devotus does, as to what is "done in most catholic [sic if Catholic is meant] churches," not having done an extensive personal survey of what people do. All I can speak of is from personal experience and having ministered the Sacrament according to the present rites. I am said that Devotus has had an experience to the contrary, and apparently in "most catholic churches."

Do all that has to be done without complaining or arguing and then you will be innocent and genuine, perfect children of God among a deceitful and underhand brood, and you will shine in the world like bright stars. Philippians 2:14-15
Old Feb 27, '07, 2:28 pm
Observing Member

Thank you for the link...

As to the other post:

I'm not intending on modifying anything. To the pentecostals I might be, but I fully intend on using the Catholic tradition. The baby dedication in the pentecostal world is much like part of our Baptism in the Catholic church where we ask the church to bring the child up in the faith. I merely wanted to learn the Catholic way all over again and see the actual procedure written down; the catholic way is more practical for me since I plan on remaining a Catholic. My time and distance from a Catholic church doesn't really allow me to have such discussions with priests very often.

I don't see how a writing assignment could be dangerous here in any way. I'm not planning on actually performing a ceremony or baptism.

As fas as offense goes....The whole of Christianity is offensive. I'm not concerned about offense...

Last edited by willow25; Feb 27, '07 at 2:42 pm.
Old Feb 28, '07, 9:21 am

Religion: Catholic (Latin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow25 View Post
. . . I merely wanted to learn the Catholic way all over again and see the actual procedure written down...
The possible offense I spoke of is to the unity of the Church, its theology of infant baptism, and its celebration of the sacraments.

Phrases like“ write the ceremony” and “trying to combine them” gave rise to my concern. If this concern is unfounded and you do wish to analyze, cite, and compare the material rather than combine and write it, pm me.

Do all that has to be done without complaining or arguing and then you will be innocent and genuine, perfect children of God among a deceitful and underhand brood, and you will shine in the world like bright stars. Philippians 2:14-15
Old Jan 10, '11, 8:54 am
Observing Member

Hay All This looks like the full text here....

http://www.saintanthonynewbedford.co...eOfBaptism.pdf

Code:
http://www.saintanthonynewbedford.com/pdfs/RiteOfBaptism.pdf
(Full URL)

catholic baptism rite text (for someone who is searching)

God Bless,

Jeff
Old Jan 10, '11, 9:16 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

I was baptized in 1957, as a 14 year old. None of the rite posted by the "fisheaters" was used, except that I bent over the Baptismal Font, the priest poured water over my head 3 times, and said: "I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost".

That was it, I was baptized. No salt, no breathing on me, no candle, nothing.

I witnessed many infant baptisms during that era, and that antique form was rarely used. While a lovely thing, it was never a mandatory, or even a strongly recommended, form.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments