Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 2, '07, 4:34 pm

Religion: Protestant
Default Catholic Nun Helping Man Lose His Virginity: Catholic Church Lets Her Remain a Nun?

A nun running a hospice helped a man lose his virginity.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../nvirgin27.xml

Why does the church allow her to remain a sister of the church? How is she not booted out of her "profession"? She is clearly acting against church teachings.
Old Feb 2, '07, 4:40 pm

Religion: Misinformed Unitarian Universalist
Default Re: Catholic Nun Helping Man Lose His Virginity: Catholic Church Lets Her Remain a Nu

Quote:
"I know that some people will say 'You are a Christian foundation. What are you thinking about?'. But we are here for all faiths and none," she [Sister Frances] said.
"It is not our job to make moral decisions for our guests. We came to the conclusion that it was our duty of care to support Nick emotionally and to help ensure his physical safety."
*shrugs*
Old Feb 2, '07, 4:45 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Catholic Nun Helping Man Lose His Virginity: Catholic Church Lets Her Remain a Nun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineofA View Post

Why does the church allow her to remain a sister of the church? How is she not booted out of her "profession"? She is clearly acting against church teachings.
Please come, Lord Jesus.
Old Feb 2, '07, 4:48 pm
Book Club Member

Default Re: Catholic Nun Helping Man Lose His Virginity: Catholic Church Lets Her Remain a Nun?

This wasnt a Catholic nun. She was Anglican.

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity; therefore I die in exile.
Pope St. Gregory VII (11th century)

Novena for the Intercession and Canonization of
Blessed Emperor Karl of Austria
Old Feb 2, '07, 4:48 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: Catholic Nun Helping Man Lose His Virginity: Catholic Church Lets Her Remain a Nu

It never says in the article what denomination the hospice is, or what denomination the "Sisters" are. My guess is that they're probably Anglicans, given that it seems to be taking place somewhere in Britain.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Feb 2, '07, 4:53 pm
Book Club Member

Sister Frances Dominica. She is Church of Scotland, part of the Anglican Communion.

Many Anglicans do not see a problem with pre-marital relations.

Old Feb 2, '07, 4:53 pm

Religion: Protestant

Oh! An ANGLICAN or some sort of PROTESTANT nun! I didn't know those existed. I am not Catholic, but very Catholuc friendly. When I saw this, I was in shock. I couldn't see how the church was allowing her to work and run an organization in the name of the church.

I will say that something was on a BBC satellite radio station that showed a Catholuc adoption organization not allowing homosexual couples to adopt. When pushed about it, the woman just said it was against church teachings and they referred them to agencies who could help them. I was like-WHAT? Why didn't she say, it's wrong and we don't refer sin for adopting children. How does the church accept this sending on to other agencies? What?
Old Feb 2, '07, 4:56 pm

Religion: Catholic, Roman Rite, religious not spiritual but trying

Quote:

Sorry to tell you, but this kind of thing happens all the time. It doesn't always, however, become public knowledge.

Kinda like the difference between the private lives of Kennedy and Clinton. There was a time when people would rather not know.
Old Feb 2, '07, 4:57 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Oh! An ANGLICAN or some sort of PROTESTANT nun! I didn't know those existed. I am not Catholic, but very Catholuc friendly. When I saw this, I was in shock. I couldn't see how the church was allowing her to work and run an organization in the name of the church.
Yes, there some High Church Anglicans that have religious orders of monks and nuns, although they are mostly just copies of Catholic religious orders (for example, there are Anglican Franciscans and such).

It is no problem, everyone makes mistakes. When this appeared in the News Forum I was taken back as well until I Googled her and found she wasnt Catholic.

Old Feb 2, '07, 5:01 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
I will say that something was on a BBC satellite radio station that showed a Catholuc adoption organization not allowing homosexual couples to adopt. When pushed about it, the woman just said it was against church teachings and they referred them to agencies who could help them. I was like-WHAT? Why didn't she say, it's wrong and we don't refer sin for adopting children. How does the church accept this sending on to other agencies? What?
Catherine, the only thing I can say is that the Church is so large that it is hard for the Holy See to act as a police force for every Catholic organization and cleric. This is an issue that should be handled by the local Bishop, although many in North America and Europe will simply remain indifferant to such things to avoid controversy, and if they do act, we probably wont hear about it.

Old Feb 2, '07, 5:02 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
Catherine, the only thing I can say is that the Church is so large that it is hard for the Holy See to act as a police force for every Catholic organization and cleric. This is an issue that should be handled by the local Bishop, although many in North America and Europe will simply remain indifferant to such things to avoid controversy, and if they do act, we probably wont hear about it.
I started to say: it would hardly have been a surprise if she HAD belonged to one of our religious orders. Certainly distressing, but not at all surprising.
Old Feb 2, '07, 5:09 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKirkLVNV View Post
I started to say: it would hardly have been a surprise if she HAD belonged to one of our religious orders. Certainly distressing, but not at all surprising.
Indeed. The only thing that alerted me to the idea that this Sister might not be Catholic was "The hospice staff, after taking advice from a solicitor, the clergy and health care professionals, decided to help him.". While we know full well that many priests are liberal and might agree to such a thing, I highly doubt that she would have recieved official support, even if these clergymen refused that support out of fear of controversy rather then faith in the truth of Catholic morality.

But it is highly distressing even if these are Anglicans.

Old Feb 2, '07, 5:32 pm

I think it is disgusting that a person would get a prostitute just to have [filthy, lustful, physical-pleasure-only] sex just for the sake of experiencing it before they die. His circumstance of his illness is is very sad but still. That's not exactly on the same plane as "I want to see the grand canyon before I die." If he wanted to have a kid, before dying would he do that too? Maybe I am being too harsh, but I see his action as disgusting.

Our blog: http://thesparkandtheflame.blogspot.com/
Old Feb 2, '07, 6:19 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic all the way mellowed with Orthodox loyal to Rome

Quote:
CatherineofA

Catholic Nun Helping Man Lose His Virginity: Catholic Church Lets Her Remain a Nun?

Perhaps a clue might be the fact it was recorded in the press.

That is not the most reliable source of information..

I work for the Criminal Justice System. I recall an incident some years ago when I read a very interesting court case in a 'reliable' daily press. Later the same day, a colleague asked me if I read about the court case I had attended. I told him no, he found the article for me.It was EXACTLY THE SAME ONE I had read earlier.

I argued the point with him that was NOT THE CASE I HEARD.

He assured me it was. on checking it was one and the same case. The facts reported in the Press bore no resemblence to what happened in fact. It was so dissimilar that I did not evenr recognise it as a report of the same case.

On that I rest my case
Old Feb 2, '07, 7:26 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelia View Post
I think it is disgusting that a person would get a prostitute just to have [filthy, lustful, physical-pleasure-only] sex just for the sake of experiencing it before they die. His circumstance of his illness is is very sad but still. That's not exactly on the same plane as "I want to see the grand canyon before I die." If he wanted to have a kid, before dying would he do that too? Maybe I am being too harsh, but I see his action as disgusting.
You are right to think so.

I might also add that this is a strange thing for a nun (even an Anglican nun) to do for a dying person: help him commit a mortal sin, for which he is certainly not repentant, before he dies.

Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions