Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 4, '07, 2:50 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Rosary during Lent

Is it customary by tradition (prior to VII) during lent to say only the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Holy Rosary? I have seen a lot of variation on this and I have only been Catholic for the past few years. Thanks for any input.
Old Feb 4, '07, 3:14 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Rosary during Lent

I believe the only thing that changes during Lent as far as the recitation pattern of the rosary is concerned is which mysteries are said on Sunday. Sundays from Easter to Advent the glorious mysteries are prayed, Sundays from Advent to Lent the joyful, and Sundays during Lent the sorrowful mysteries are prayed.
Old Feb 4, '07, 3:16 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

I agree with Bee on this.
Old Feb 4, '07, 8:06 pm
Banned

Thank you both.
Old Feb 4, '07, 8:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by popckitten View Post
Is it customary by tradition (prior to VII) during lent to say only the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Holy Rosary? I have seen a lot of variation on this and I have only been Catholic for the past few years. Thanks for any input.
Well, remember that the Rosary is a private devotion so it's "rules" are not as rigid as say, the liturgy.

Last year I chose to pray the Sorrowful Mysteries every day during lent for the sake of reminding myself to be penitential. It also helps to watch "The Passion" on Ash Wednesday so that you have clear images to meditate on for the next 40 days.

Then, on Easter, praying the Glorious Mysteries for the first time in over a month, it feels wonderful.
Old Feb 5, '07, 8:23 am

Send a message via ICQ to parvenu74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfinished View Post
Well, remember that the Rosary is a private devotion so it's "rules" are not as rigid as say, the liturgy.

Last year I chose to pray the Sorrowful Mysteries every day during lent for the sake of reminding myself to be penitential. It also helps to watch "The Passion" on Ash Wednesday so that you have clear images to meditate on for the next 40 days.

Then, on Easter, praying the Glorious Mysteries for the first time in over a month, it feels wonderful.
Or you could obviate the question altogether by saying all of the mysteries of the Rosary every day, thereby covering all bases.
Old Feb 5, '07, 7:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by parvenu74 View Post
Or you could obviate the question altogether by saying all of the mysteries of the Rosary every day, thereby covering all bases.
...which is probably the best way to do it, if you can.

When I say a Rosary, I always say the mysteries that follow the previous ones I did, regardless of what day of the week it is.

J-S-G-J-S-G-J-S-G-J-S-G-J-S-G-etc.

That's because I always get a chance to do one Rosary a day, but sometimes 2 or 3. By staying sequential as I do, I get an even distribution over all the mysteries.

Works for me.
Old Feb 6, '07, 6:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by popckitten View Post
You question got me curious, so before my wife & I started the Rosary last night, she checked her 1961 Missal. It says the use the Sorrowful Mysteries from Ash Wednesday to Easter. I think though, that you should say the Glorious or Joyful Mysteries should be said, since Sundays are not counted in the 40 days of Lent.

Thomas Cardinal Wolsey (1471-1530)
Old Feb 22, '07, 8:22 am
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

In The Imitation of Christ, 1993, Catholic Book Publ. Corp. edition, the inset picture pages for the Rosary say the following.

Joyful: said on Mondays and Saturdays (except during Lent), and the Sundays from Advent to Lent.
Sorrowful: said on Tuesdays and Fridays throughout the year, and every day from Ash Wednesday until Easter.
Luminous: said on Thursdays (except during Lent)
Glorious: Said on Wednesdays (except during Lent) and the Sundays from Easter to Advent.

I don't see any attribution as to whose guidelines these are.

One of the Vatican web pages referenced below says of the four series...
"The first contains joyful mysteries (recited on Mondays and Saturdays); the second, the mysteries of light (Thursdays); the third, the sorrowful mysteries (Tuesdays and Fridays); and the fourth, the glorious mysteries (Wednesdays and Sundays).
"This indication is not intended to limit a rightful freedom in personal and community prayer, where account needs to be taken of spiritual and pastoral needs and of the occurrence of particular liturgical celebrations which might call for suitable adaptations" (Rosarium Virginis Mariae, 38)."

http://www.vatican.va/special/rosary/index_rosary.htm
http://www.vatican.va/special/rosary...isteri_en.html

FWIW, for me personally, not saying the Glorious Mysteries at all during Lent would be too Sorrowful. (Thankfully, as was mentioned, we all have freedom in our personal devotions.) If you say the Rosary daily, may God bless you.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism