Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 7, '07, 12:41 pm

Religion: Anglo-Catholic Episcopalian
Default can divorced people take Communion?

Hi everyone,

I'm Episcopalian, so I don't know the answer to this question. A friend of mine is interested in possibly becoming Catholic. I told him about the RCIA. He is divorced...I thought I heard once that divorced people cannot take Communion in the Catholic Church. Is this correct or incorrect? Thank you very much.

Another question: I thought I once heard that one cannot take Communion more than once a day. Is that true? If so, why is that? Thanks again.
Old Feb 7, '07, 12:50 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: can divorced people take Communion?

1. If you are a divorced Catholic who has not remarried outside the church or is otherwise in a state of mortal sin, you can receive communion. The 'divorce' does not put you into mortal sin per se; marriage to another after the divorce (unless the original marriage is declared null) would put you into mortal sin. So if he is divorced and living celibately, and becomes Catholic, then he may receive. If he wants to consider marrying again, he needs to look into getting an annulment from the first marriage before marrying another.

2. One can receive communion normatively twice per day; the second time must be in the context of reception at a Mass. IOW, you can go to a communion service in the morning and then to a Mass at night, and receive at both. Or to a Mass in the morning and a Mass at night. And of course one must be in a state of grace--and observe the one hour fast before communion. But if you were to go to a Mass in the morning, and then a communion service at night--no. However, if one is in danger of death, one may receive more than twice per day (Viaticum). The last is something that is outside the 'norm', of course.

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Feb 7, '07, 12:56 pm
Forum Supporter

I know what you meant, but....

Quote:
or is otherwise in a state of mortal sin,
I think you mean "not" in a state of mortal sin

Your 'not' from the not remarried portion of the response may continue but it does not read well........and we do not want any confusion.........

YADA
Respect Christ - Vote Life
Old Feb 7, '07, 12:58 pm
Book Club Member

Send a message via AIM to jamannor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarozinnia View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm Episcopalian, so I don't know the answer to this question. A friend of mine is interested in possibly becoming Catholic. I told him about the RCIA. He is divorced...I thought I heard once that divorced people cannot take Communion in the Catholic Church. Is this correct or incorrect? Thank you very much.
My understanding is that a divorce person can take communion. The divorce is seen as a seperation. They cannot receive Eucharistic communion if they are remarried. To remarry you would have to prove that the first marriage was not valid.

Quote:
Another question: I thought I once heard that one cannot take Communion more than once a day. Is that true? If so, why is that? Thanks again.
A person can take communion more then once, but no more then twice I bleive.

I hope this helps
Old Feb 7, '07, 1:11 pm
Banned

In the Catholic Church the only time a person may marry more than once is in the event of death or nullity of all previous marriages. Any other marriage situation would be considered adultery. (please correct me on this if i am wrong)

If a person is divorced but NOT re-married and chaste and not guilty of mortal sin/s then they may recieve the Eucharist.
Old Feb 7, '07, 1:36 pm
Banned

In the Catholic Church the only time a person may marry more than once is in the event of death or nullity of all previous marriages. Any other marriage situation would be considered adultery. (please correct me on this if i am wrong)

If a person is divorced but NOT re-married and chaste and not guilty of mortal sin/s then they may recieve the Eucharist.
Old Feb 7, '07, 2:26 pm

Divorce is no impediment to taking communion in the Catholic Church. If the person remarried, then there could be a problem, but this doesn't not seem to be the case. This person might do well to talk to the local parish priest to go over these matters with him.
Old Feb 7, '07, 2:41 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:

As has been pointed out by the other posters, the rule is that you can receive twice a day in the right circumstances, more than that if you are in danger of death (or, for example, if you're a priest celebrating multiple masses in the same day or something).

This rule is purely a practical one. The Eucharist has been called the source and summit of our life and worship. We Catholics rightly have a huge devotion to, respect for, and love and worship of, Our Lord in the Eucharist (in which we believe He is really present).

There are people who, if they were allowed to receive more often, would literally spend their whole day attending Mass after Mass in order to do so, to the neglect of everything else they need to do in their lives.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Feb 7, '07, 3:43 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hi everyone,

A divorced but not remarried person has full access to the Sacraments. A person can receive twice a day if the second time is within a Mass. Three times under certain special circumstances.
Old Feb 7, '07, 7:18 pm

Religion: Catholic (Latin-Rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantum ergo View Post
The 'divorce' does not put you into mortal sin per se
I'm not so sure... The Catechism sounds like Divorce does indeed put one into mortal sin unless it was forced upon them against their will...
Divorce is a grave offense against the natural law...

Divorce does injury to the covenant of salvation...

Divorce is immoral also because it introduces disorder into the family and into society...

It can happen that one of the spouses is the innocent victim of a divorce decreed by civil law; this spouse therefore has not contravened the moral law. There is a considerable difference between a spouse who has sincerely tried to be faithful to the sacrament of marriage and is unjustly abandoned, and one who through his own grave fault destroys a canonically valid marriage.
Old Feb 7, '07, 7:44 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

I may be wrong, but the person isn't Catholic yet, and he has civil divorce and I ASSUMED his marriage wasn't blessed in the church. How about this?

– Fr. Walter Ciszek (1904-1984)

www.vinzpablo.com
Old Feb 7, '07, 10:37 pm

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Send a message via MSN to SMHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timidity View Post
I'm not so sure... The Catechism sounds like Divorce does indeed put one into mortal sin unless it was forced upon them against their will...
It may be that the act of divorcing puts someone into a state of mortal sin. But even if that is the case, mortal sins can be confessed and forgiven without the parties having to remarry.

It has already been noted that the divorced person must be free from mortal sin.
Old Feb 8, '07, 2:02 am

Religion: Latin Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHW View Post
It may be that the act of divorcing puts someone into a state of mortal sin. But even if that is the case, mortal sins can be confessed and forgiven without the parties having to remarry.
The Catechism (2383) also permits couples to separate or even divorce when there are serious and valid reasons for doing so. The civil divorce is just viewed as a legal way of accomplishing this, so as to iron out the conjugal property, custody and other legal issues. The Catechism explicitly states that this is not a moral offense.

Clearly, what the Catechism refers to is malicious divorce; i.e. for no good reason, and especially for the intention of "marrying" someone else.

Old Feb 8, '07, 3:48 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthos11 View Post
The Catechism (2383) also permits couples to separate or even divorce when there are serious and valid reasons for doing so. The civil divorce is just viewed as a legal way of accomplishing this, so as to iron out the conjugal property, custody and other legal issues. The Catechism explicitly states that this is not a moral offense.

Clearly, what the Catechism refers to is malicious divorce; i.e. for no good reason, and especially for the intention of "marrying" someone else.
Let say, if a husband divorced her wife because he wanted to get married again with other woman, the wife is still in the state of grace right? So she can receive communion?

– Fr. Walter Ciszek (1904-1984)

www.vinzpablo.com
Old Feb 8, '07, 5:33 am

Religion: Latin Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince2paul View Post
Let say, if a husband divorced her wife because he wanted to get married again with other woman, the wife is still in the state of grace right? So she can receive communion?
Yes, because she was the victim of an unjust divorce. The Catechism here is explicit in the wife's innocence.

Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments