Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Which translation is better or more accurate?
KJV (King James Version) 7 5.43%
DRV (Douay-Rheims Version) 107 82.95%
Too close to call 15 11.63%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 30, '04, 5:15 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Archbishop 10-K
Default King James vs. Douay-Rheims Bible

Any thoughts on this? Let's go solely by translation, and assume the KJV was authorized by the Church and still had the deuterocanonicals. Almost all Protestants seem to think that the KJV is the bomb, and I was wondering if our DRV matches up to it.
Old Aug 30, '04, 5:48 pm

Religion: Maronite Catholic
Send a message via AIM to metal1633 Send a message via Yahoo to metal1633
Default Re: King James vs. Douay-Rheims Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbishop 10-K
Any thoughts on this? Let's go solely by translation, and assume the KJV was authorized by the Church and still had the deuterocanonicals. Almost all Protestants seem to think that the KJV is the bomb, and I was wondering if our DRV matches up to it.
The KJV was translated from texts that dated no earlier than the 12th century A.D. The texts were in such bad shape that the compilers of the texts and the translators of the KJV used.....thats right, the Vulgate and the DRB, to make corrections. Some passages in the KJV were not even translated, just lifted directly from the DRB.
Old Aug 30, '04, 6:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal1633
The KJV was translated from texts that dated no earlier than the 12th century A.D. The texts were in such bad shape that the compilers of the texts and the translators of the KJV used.....thats right, the Vulgate and the DRB, to make corrections. Some passages in the KJV were not even translated, just lifted directly from the DRB.
OH NO, it wasn't handed to King James by GOD himself!

Kotton
Old Aug 30, '04, 7:10 pm

I thinkith that thith KJB ith annoyingith.
Old Aug 30, '04, 7:25 pm

Religion: Was Baptist, RCIA class finished in 2005

God bless everyone who loves their Bibles (KJV or DRV), reads their Bibles and tries their best to live according to their Bibles.

Just remember that some non-Christians may not read any other version of the Bible but our lives. As such, mine is a very poor translation that needs great improvement.

I once met a Christian man in Jacksonville FL who was so extreme in his support of the authorized KJV. I'm sure neither of us knew that the original KJV included the deuterocanonical books.

He thought that the KJV was "it" and any other translation was worthless.

I asked him what Bible God had provided to Spanish-Speaking people. He told me that he had never thought about that.

For right now, I really like the NAB best. But many Bibles are very good. Its a shame that Protestant Bibles are missing so many good footnotes that Catholic Bibles have.
Old Aug 30, '04, 7:25 pm

Religion: catolica
Send a message via MSN to jeffreedy789

i would say the king james Bible is beautifully written.

but even as a protestant (which i was), i preferred the NASB or the NRSV to the King James. even if the translation were GREAT, the archaic language in which it's written is too many steps removed from our modern day english - and takes the message a step away from our understanding it.

i've heard nothing but good about the DR, and have found it to be extremely accurate.
Old Aug 30, '04, 7:34 pm

I personally enjoy the DR better. I have that on my computer along with the RSVC with on my desk. Last year a bunch of Protestants were handing out free KJV bibles. I showed them my Ignatius bible and told them the differences. They thought it was just the deutercanonicals. I explained some of the differences in translations. I also explained to them the formation of the OT canon. Many had no clue about this. They probably didn't expect a Catholic college student at a public University to have any knowledge of the Bible. I was glad to be late to class to spread the Truth.
Old Aug 30, '04, 9:13 pm

Any major differences between KJV and DRV? I noticed that the DRV makes sure to use the words "priest" and "bishop" where applicable, as well as "full of grace" as opposed to "highly favored."
Old Aug 30, '04, 10:55 pm

Looks like the DRV is really owning up on the KJV now. I'm the one who voted the last, since I'm undecided right now and just wanted to see the results without clicking all the time.
Old Aug 31, '04, 6:28 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic faithful to Rome

As far as the New Testament is concerned...I applaud the KJV for being MORE honoring of Mary than the NAB....even our RSV CE.....why?

In Luke...KJV has the beautiful "Blessed art thou among women" after Gabriel says "Hail Full of Grace" another verse used in the Hail Mary....the DR contains it.... in some footnotes in RSV CE it is talked about...but at least KJV has that stance...yes, they use...favored one...but the NAB waters that down as well....which again... confuses me...as to why protestants cant see Mary as she truly is...blessed among women.
Old Aug 31, '04, 6:37 am

I have found that Protestants are King James Onlyists because the NIV and other versions delete sentences. However, the Douay-Rheims Bible contains sentences that are not even found in the King James Bible, so it baffles me why they would not see the older Latin Vulgate as more authoritive when it comes to translation of scriptures, then the King James Bible whose texts dates back only to the middle ages.
Old Aug 31, '04, 8:18 am

KJV:
1 Corinthians 11
29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

Douay:
1 Corinthians 11
29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily eateth and drinketh judgment to himself, not discerning the body of the Lord.

My KJV-only acquaintances start squirming when they are forced to confront that verse.

Peace in Christ...........Salmon
Old Aug 31, '04, 10:32 am

My "official" Bible is a Confraternity Version (Old and New Testaments- it's out of print ) which was the Church's last attempt to update the Douay Rheims (DR). Alas, the project was left unfinished (several OT books left intact) and work started on the NAB. While being more modern (and readable) the NAB has been a dis-service to Catholic laymen (especially the book intros and some of the notes).

The best things about the DR and KJV is that they give you many more words, phrases and even whole verses that modern Bibles drop out. Also, the DR is the only Catholic bible free from the stain of liberalism. The RSV has always been considered to be a liberal bible in evangelical circles. It tells you how bad the Catholic bibles have gotten if our RSV-CE is considered a conservative bible (and compared to the rest it is!)

My only complaint about the DR is the translations of names and places in the OT makes it hard for a former evangelical like myself to follow the stories. I can understand Isaia is Isaiah (that's easy), but sometimes I have to go back to other bibles to see who is being talked about in the text.

Thus my vote for the KJV.
Old Aug 31, '04, 12:31 pm

Religion: Catholic, Tiber Swim Team Class of 2005

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but can a French-speaker approximate the pronunciation of "Rheims?" I've bicycled through that city, but I'm still not sure about the pronunciation.

Don't even ask me about Ghent in Flemish-speaking Belgium (same trip)!

DaveBj

I do not seek to understand in order that I may believe,
but I believe in order that I may understand,
for of this I feel sure,
that, if I did not believe, I would not understand.
-- St. Anselm of Canterbury --
Old Aug 31, '04, 4:53 pm

One thing that I am disappointed in with both the DR and the KJV is that they use the term Hell for both of the Greek terms Hades and Gehenna. The distinction between Hades, a.k.a. Purgatory and Gehenna a.k.a. Hell, is an important one in that it helps to establish the Catholic doctrine of Purgatory. Several Protestant versions, including the NIV, do make the distinction, althought most Protestants I've talked to don't (obviously) understand the distinction or have really never noticed it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture