Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 13, '07, 7:02 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Book titled "All Saints," I need help discerning if it is decent.

I purchased a book recently entitled "All Saints: daily reflections on saints, prophets and witnesses for out time." Authored by Robert Ellsberg.

When i leafed through the book at the book store, it looked great. It is what it says, daily stories of Saints lives,(it is not as long or as in depth as Butlers that is why i picked it up,) some thoughts from them, and good insight.

Well along with some literal "Saints" there are also many other non-Christians, and non-Catholics represented on the individual days. For instance: William Stringfellos, Theologian and social critic-April 26; Martin Luther King jr., April 4 Apostle of Freedom; Henry David Thoreau, naturalist and social critic, May 4; Rabbi Abraham Heschel Dec. 23; Karl Rahner March 5; Orgien May 18; Thomas Merton Dec. 10; and two the main kickers Mahatma Gandhi and Vincent Van Gogh

My question is has anyone ever heard of the Author Robert Ellsberg? Is he a legitimate Catholic Voice?

Has anyone heard of this book i am refering too?

I believe that this book makes a mockery of the Blessed Saints that went before us. What are your thoughts?
Old Feb 13, '07, 9:31 pm

Send a message via AIM to havemercy
Default Re: Book titled "All Saints," I need help discerning if it is decent.

I've not heard of this book, though, so I wouldn't be able to tell you if its worth your reading. I do like Merton and Heschel a lot though.
Old Feb 15, '07, 12:53 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by I thirst 4 YOU! View Post
I purchased a book recently entitled "All Saints: daily reflections on saints, prophets and witnesses for out time." Authored by Robert Ellsberg.

When i leafed through the book at the book store, it looked great. It is what it says, daily stories of Saints lives,(it is not as long or as in depth as Butlers that is why i picked it up,) some thoughts from them, and good insight.

Well along with some literal "Saints" there are also many other non-Christians, and non-Catholics represented on the individual days. For instance: William Stringfellos, Theologian and social critic-April 26; Martin Luther King jr., April 4 Apostle of Freedom; Henry David Thoreau, naturalist and social critic, May 4; Rabbi Abraham Heschel Dec. 23; Karl Rahner March 5; Orgien May 18; Thomas Merton Dec. 10; and two the main kickers Mahatma Gandhi and Vincent Van Gogh

My question is has anyone ever heard of the Author Robert Ellsberg? Is he a legitimate Catholic Voice?

I believe that this book makes a mockery of the Blessed Saints that went before us. What are your thoughts?

There are plenty of saints in the Old Testament who were neither Catholic nor Christian. Who is to say there cannot be the same in our times?

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Feb 18, '07, 5:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by I thirst 4 YOU! View Post

I've heard of similar books. They may or may not have been written by Catholics. They are about people who may or may not be canonized saints, who seem, according to the author, to have lived virtuous lives. They are good if you are looking for a book about people who did good things- not so good if you are looking for stories of those who we know for sure have won the battle.

A nation that kills its own children is a nation without a future.- Pope John Paul II.
Old May 8, '10, 1:13 pm

Just came across your post. Robert Ellsburg is certainly an authentic Catholic voice.
The purpose of his book "All Saints: Daily Reflections on Saints, Prophets and Witnesses for Our Time" is to enlarge the Catholic view of holiness much in light of Nostra Aetate.

There are people who have led lives of great virtue who aren't Catholic...some of the names you mention are examples... It doesn't mean they are technically saints in light of the arduous process of saint-making followed by the church. At the same time they can offer us a vision of the demands and challenges of growing in holiness.

Read and reflected upon in this light, one can understand how in fact Ellsburg can offer a very helpful contribution to our current understanding of holiness.

Keep in mind the Scriptures beginning with the Old Testament writers and continuing into the New Testament ...have engaged in dialogue with the world around them. Even our traditional understanding of the cardinal virtues: prudence, temperance, justice and fortitude owe their origins to Greek culture.

In the aftermath of Vatican II we continue the traditional dialogue with the world...drawing from and absorbing its wisdom when found, discarding the rest...

It can be confusing...but thoughtful writers like Ellsburg have a lot to offer provided one understands what he is attempting to do..

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality