Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 19, '07, 8:28 am

Religion: Undecided
Default Adventist and Ellen G. White

I would like to get the Perspective of the Seventh Day Adventist on Ellen G. White and why they think that. Why is she thought to be a prophetess and any other things they think of her?
Old Feb 23, '07, 11:21 am

Religion: Undecided
Default Re: Adventist and Ellen G. White

Are there no Adventist on this forum?
Old Feb 23, '07, 2:03 pm

Religion: Catholic

Ellen G White is difficult to defend - even for an Adventist. My husband is a SDA and he has now come to the conclusion that EGW is not a prophet and was dishonest in her writings by her plagarism. Many other Adventists have also come to this conclusion. Those that still think of her as a prophet try to justify her actions or explain them away.

Once you know that EGW is not a prophet then some of the other 27 beliefs also fall. SDA then have to admit that many of those other beliefs are in fact not biblical, nor can they be traced to historical traditions. History according to EGW is just not factual.

It is my contention that many stay SDA just because of the social pressure and they honestly have been so drilled with some of the beliefs that they really don't know where else to go. For example, many would not choose to go to the Catholic Church because it has been drilled in their minds that the Catholic Church is the whore of Babylon.
Old Feb 23, '07, 2:08 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Either that or (like my father) they don't know or don't want to know and therefore have to deal with it. A person's whole world can feel like it is crumbling around them when faced with things like this. They might even start to doubt Christianity as a whole.

Padre Pio
Old Feb 23, '07, 6:06 pm

Religion: Catholic (former Seventh-day Adventist)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanL View Post
Either that or (like my father) they don't know or don't want to know and therefore have to deal with it. A person's whole world can feel like it is crumbling around them when faced with things like this. They might even start to doubt Christianity as a whole.
I think my SDA mother fits this category. She just doesn't want to deal with it. She belongs to a very 'historical fundamental' local SDA church.

I have been going through a lot lately with my health and a seriously ill child and if I forget myself and admit to feeling anything other than happiness and a rosy disposition.. i get "God is trying to tell you something......." as if all troubles will disappear when I "get right with God and keep his sabbath like you know you are supposed to.........."

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Sorry for the off topic rant... on topic:

Ellen G. White is not only a plagarist who presents a twisted history, she's depressing reading and a source for great hopelessness amoung her followers. In her 'Testimonies for the Church' she writes that only 1 in 20 of faithful Adventists will be saved. I mean sheeeeeeeeesh, if only 1 in 20 of Adventists will be saved where does that leave the rest of us?

No wonder one of our more prolific SDA posters posted that he doesn't believe he will make it to heaven.

Thats my experience of Adventism, hopeless and rigid. Glad to be rid of it these last 24 years.

MarysRoses
Old Feb 23, '07, 8:15 pm

MarysRoses - my prayers are with you as you handle your health problems and the ill child.

I have a response to the "get it right with God and your life will be good". We had a parish preist who told me "If you want to be Catholic get ready to look good on wood" Being Christian does not mean everything is great. Historically, look at what the Christians have been through.

I think it is sad to see the Adventists put so much emphasis on Revelations as a futuristic book. They miss the real message of the book which tells us that in our lives we will suffer for Christ but in the final analysis we will win for staying the course with God which has happened so many times in history.
Old Apr 9, '07, 3:49 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by amills View Post

I think it is sad to see the Adventists put so much emphasis on Revelations as a futuristic book. They miss the real message of the book which tells us that in our lives we will suffer for Christ but in the final analysis we will win for staying the course with God which has happened so many times in history.
What a beautiful way to summarize Revelations Amills!!

MarysRoses, I hope you are doing better and that your child`s health has improved.

Sincerely,

Maria
Old Apr 9, '07, 8:05 am

How truly sad that "social stigma" or "being shunned" can have a stronger hold on people then the Truth of God's never changing Word.

We all need to reach out to those in the SDA faith and let them know that they are not alone and that they can find a true and loving family in the Church established by Jesus Himself, and not by Ellen G. White, or for that matter, any other faith started by man.
Old Apr 9, '07, 10:42 am

Send a message via Yahoo to St_Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by amills View Post

Wow, I couldn't put it better myself, and I have always tried to get people to understand that the book of revelations was never met to be used to point the finger, or to degrade another faith. I usualy get reponses like " well it's what the bible says not me" or " Satan can appear as the angel of light, or my favorite " is it anti-catholic to preach the truth?
Old Apr 9, '07, 1:48 pm

Religion: Adventist become Catholic (woohoo!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysRoses View Post
I have been going through a lot lately with my health and a seriously ill child and if I forget myself and admit to feeling anything other than happiness and a rosy disposition.. i get "God is trying to tell you something......." as if all troubles will disappear when I "get right with God and keep his sabbath like you know you are supposed to.........."

I will pray for you, and must add: the reaction of your Adventist relatives is so--unfortunate, disheartening. I'm really sorry; that pressure is unimaginable. I will add them to my prayers as well.
Old Apr 10, '07, 1:57 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toten View Post
I would like to get the Perspective of the Seventh Day Adventist on Ellen G. White and why they think that. Why is she thought to be a prophetess and any other things they think of her?
Toten,
Many Adventists will shun away from the term prophetess or prophet and prefer instead that she had the gift of prophecy. EGW herself said that she was not a prophet (she said that she was more than the word prophet signifies).

Here is an excerpt from the EGW Estate Website:
"In brief, she was a woman of remarkable spiritual gifts who lived most of her life during the nineteenth century (1827-1915), yet through her writings she is still making a revolutionary impact on millions of people around the world. During her lifetime she wrote more than 5,000 periodical articles and 40 books; but today, including compilations from her 50,000 pages of manuscript, more than 100 titles are available in English. She is the most translated woman writer in the entire history of literature, and the most translated American author of either gender. Her writings cover a broad range of subjects, including religion, education, social relationships, evangelism, prophecy, publishing, nutrition, and management. Her life-changing masterpiece on successful Christian living, Steps to Christ, has been published in more than 140 languages. Seventh-day Adventists believe that Mrs. White was more than a gifted writer; they believe she was appointed by God as a special messenger to draw the world's attention to the Holy Scriptures and help prepare people for Christ's second advent. From the time she was 17 years old until she died 70 years later, God gave her approximately 2,000 visions and dreams. The visions varied in length from less than a minute to nearly four hours. The knowledge and counsel received through these revelations she wrote out to be shared with others. Thus her special writings are accepted by Seventh-day Adventists as inspired, and their exceptional quality is recognized even by casual readers. "

http://www.whiteestate.org/about/egwbio.asp#who
Old Apr 10, '07, 2:00 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDA2RC View Post
She is the most translated woman writer in the entire history of literature, and the most translated American author of either gender.
On an interesting side note: I once e-mailed the Library of Congress to ask about the claims quoted above, their response was that they could not verify the information, as the only place they found this claim was from the EGW Estate themselves, and they did not know on what information they were basing the claims.

Take it for what you will...
Old Dec 28, '10, 2:34 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Christ

hi, i am new her, speak german, english not good, i dont know a german adventist forum.

well about Ellen White, she always said, that she was not a Prophet, only a Speaker not more.

And Ellen ist every Time right, she hat all from Jesus, our God.

The Question now is, are the Earth 6000 years old or 100.000 yeras or 3 billion Years? thats more interesting
Old Dec 28, '10, 2:36 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Latin rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan99 View Post
hi, i am new her, speak german, english not good, i dont know a german adventist forum.

well about Ellen White, she always said, that she was not a Prophet, only a Speaker not more.

And Ellen ist every Time right, she hat all from Jesus, our God.

The Question now is, are the Earth 6000 years old or 100.000 yeras or 3 billion Years? thats more interesting
Possibly more interesting but not the topic of the thread.
Old Dec 28, '10, 11:47 pm
Banned

Religion: Skeptical Catholic/Politically Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysRoses View Post
I think my SDA mother fits this category. She just doesn't want to deal with it. She belongs to a very 'historical fundamental' local SDA church.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Sorry for the off topic rant... on topic:

Ellen G. White is not only a plagarist who presents a twisted history, she's depressing reading and a source for great hopelessness amoung her followers. In her 'Testimonies for the Church' she writes that only 1 in 20 of faithful Adventists will be saved. I mean sheeeeeeeeesh, if only 1 in 20 of Adventists will be saved where does that leave the rest of us?

No wonder one of our more prolific SDA posters posted that he doesn't believe he will make it to heaven.

Thats my experience of Adventism, hopeless and rigid. Glad to be rid of it these last 24 years.

MarysRoses
hi Mary. you will be in my thoughts and prayers. i will say a rosary for you, and your child. Peace Grace and Prayers for you Sister.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions