Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 21, '07, 2:44 am

Religion: catholic, I think...
Send a message via Yahoo to sweetirishct
Default How are blessed items not "idols"

Ok, maybe the question came out wrong, but I am wondering how blessed items, be them crucifixes, statues of Mary or the Saints, etc. not be considered "idols". It is tough to get past the idea that people are praying "to" the item. It seems as this would be in direct violation of the commandments.
And on that note, what about santuaries (actually, that is not the word I am looking for, but it is late and I am foggy). I mean places people go to honor and revere a saint. I know we pray to the Saints for intercession, but do you think God will see the direct reverence of such a place as a sin?

I think this is one of the big questions I have with the RCC. If the post came out totally wrong, I will try to rephrase in the morning.
Thanks!!
Old Feb 21, '07, 3:14 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How are blessed items not "idols"

Of course we don't pray TO the actual crucifix or any other such item, blessed or not. They are simply images - like we have photographs of our families to remind us of them, we have these images of Christ and the saints to remind us of them. When we pray in front of a crucifix we're praying TO Christ who is represented in that image, not to the image itself.

Think of it this way. Some people actually do kiss or talk to photographs of their loved ones. This happens with both living and deceased members of their families. This may be slightly unusual behaviour to see but certainly no-one thinks of it as being idol-worship in any way. We do the same with the Saints because they are also members of our spiritual family.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Feb 21, '07, 3:41 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

A blessed item is an 'item' that has been blessed. Blessed in the name of God. Blessings are given for people and things throughout the Bible. We have 'blessings' over our food, (Jesus did this, remember?) we 'bless' each other when we sneeze, etc. (there are many blessings for people, Aaron's blessing --The Lord bless you and keep you, etc.) but nobody thinks we worship our food or each other, though, right?

Conversely, an idol is something that is specificially worshiped as a god. That is considered to be, all by itself, a material object, yet a god. We do not approach a crucifix and think that the crucifix is God, anymore than we approach a painting of Christ in a museum and think that it is Christ Himself in, and only in, that painting.

You might make a better case for idolatry for many people of their TVs, cars, money, entertainers etc.! There are more people who are so focused on the latest media celebs, trying to look like them, act like them, eager for every detail of their life--elevating the celebs above God insofar as they are thinking and acting for the celebs instead of God! Far more than those who admire the saints (who after all are examples of fine virtuous Christian living) and ask the saints' helpby prayer to help them to be closer to God.

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Feb 21, '07, 5:12 am

Send a message via AIM to Dan-Man916

ever talked to a loved one who has passed away when you are looking at an old picture of them?

Are you tlaking to the paper and ink in the picture, or does the picture represent a greater reality (the dearly departed person)?

The same thing goes for blessed objects, icons, etc.
These physical things point us to greater spiritual realities.
When we kiss a crucifix, venerate an icon, or bow before a statue of the blessed virgin, we are not paying honor to the object itself. Our honor is directed toward what the symbol represents.
That is the distinction between veneration and idolatry.

The golden calf was worshipped as the end in itself. The worship of the Hebrews was toward the calf. By contrast, with a blessed object, the veneration is directed "through" the object and "to" God.
Old Feb 21, '07, 5:30 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetirishct View Post
Ok, maybe the question came out wrong, but I am wondering how blessed items, be them crucifixes, statues of Mary or the Saints, etc. not be considered "idols". It is tough to get past the idea that people are praying "to" the item. It seems as this would be in direct violation of the commandments.
And on that note, what about santuaries (actually, that is not the word I am looking for, but it is late and I am foggy). I mean places people go to honor and revere a saint. I know we pray to the Saints for intercession, but do you think God will see the direct reverence of such a place as a sin?

I think this is one of the big questions I have with the RCC. If the post came out totally wrong, I will try to rephrase in the morning.
Thanks!!
An Idol is some material thing that you worship. Catholics should not act in any way that would even hint at worship of the object. I will admit that some do, and the Church strongly says that this is wrong. A shrine is a place set apart from the world. A place where Christians can come and spend some time in prayer to GOD and get away from the world for a little while.
Old Feb 21, '07, 5:50 am

Quote:
Ok, maybe the question came out wrong, but I am wondering how blessed items, be them crucifixes, statues of Mary or the Saints, etc. not be considered "idols". It is tough to get past the idea that people are praying "to" the item
It is impossible to worship anything if you don't believe that it is God, no matter what your actions look like. In pagan religions where they have genuine textbook idolatry, the faith that the object itself IS divine is their doctrine. I don't know any catholics that actually believe statues ARE God.

Conversely, some Christians "pray" directly to God, yet in tehir hearts do not believe in Him. They are not worshipping God either, sine they have no faith.

To Bless means to commend a thing to the good and faithful worship or service of God. It's value is relative to the holiness of the giver. I think this is a traditional practice going back to the OT.
Old Feb 21, '07, 6:10 am

The Bible and the Catholic Church make a distinction between a religious statue and an idol and you should too.

Religious statues are good things, as they remind us of God or His friends, the angels and saints in heaven.

If God forbade religious statues altogether, then why did He command Moses to make two small cherubim statues of beaten gold and fasten them to the lid of the Ark of the Covenant? (Exodus 25:17-22) Why did He command Moses to make a bronze statue of a serpent, place it on a pole, and command the people to look upon it, if they wanted to be healed? (Numbers 21:8-9) Why did He fill the Solomon's Temple with His glory when there were two giant cherubim statues, each about fifteen feet tall, placed on either side of the Ark of the Covenant in the Holy of Holies, along with the other countless carved figures of cherubim covering the interior walls and doors of the Temple? (1 Kings 6:23-35; 8:11)

If you had had the chance to see the inside of Solomon's Temple with all its religious statues, I dare say it would have reminded you more of a Catholic church than any non-Catholic Christian church.

So, a religious statue is a good thing but, like all good things, a religious statue can be abused and turned into an idol, if it is treated as a god, and this is exactly what happened in the case of Moses' serpent statue. In the days of King Hezekiah, the Jews fell into idolatry and began treating Moses' serpent statue as if it were a god, offering it sacrifices of incense. King Hezekiah destroyed Moses' serpent statue because the Jews had turned the religious statue (a good thing) into an idol (a bad thing) by treating it as if it were a god. (2 Kings 18:4)

The Jews angered God for treating the golden calf statue they had made in the desert as a god and thus making it into an idol (Exodus 32:1-10), but God was pleased with the twelve bronze oxen statues that supported the large bronze sea that stood just outside Solomon's Temple. (1 Kings 7:23-39; 2 Chronicles 4:2-18) The only significant difference between the calf statue in the desert and the oxen statues outside Solomon's Temple was the way they were treated by the Jews, the one became an idol (a bad thing) when it was treated as a god and the others were simply religious statues (good things).

Catholic statues are simply religious statues and the Catholic Church condemns as idolatrous anyone who turns a religious statue into an idol by treating it as a god.
Old Feb 21, '07, 6:12 am
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic: Revert
Smile Re: How are blessed items not "idols"

Quote:

Thanks!!
Top o' th' Mornin' to ya!

My dear Irish sister in Christ,

Please don't be buyin' into all the propaganda from folks who carry Bibles and offer you alternatives to our most holy faith. Look what happened to me.

As to this misbegotten Iconoclasm that you are considerin'. Let me show you where I dealt with this in a much earlier thread here at CAF. Dave's Allegation That Catholics Are Idolaters.

If you would like to talk to someone who has already made the journey you might be thinking of please PM or e-mail me through this site. I believe that we make a huge mistake when we leave the Catholic faith.
The peace of the Lord be always with you.

Old Feb 21, '07, 6:38 am
Banned

Religion: Protestant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Easton View Post
The Bible and the Catholic Church make a distinction between a religious statue and an idol and you should too.

Religious statues are good things, as they remind us of God or His friends, the angels and saints in heaven.

If God forbade religious statues altogether, then why did He command Moses to make two small cherubim statues of beaten gold and fasten them to the lid of the Ark of the Covenant? (Exodus 25:17-22) Why did He command Moses to make a bronze statue of a serpent, place it on a pole, and command the people to look upon it, if they wanted to be healed? (Numbers 21:8-9) Why did He fill the Solomon's Temple with His glory when there were two giant cherubim statues, each about fifteen feet tall, placed on either side of the Ark of the Covenant in the Holy of Holies, along with the other countless carved figures of cherubim covering the interior walls and doors of the Temple? (1 Kings 6:23-35; 8:11)

If you had had the chance to see the inside of Solomon's Temple with all its religious statues, I dare say it would have reminded you more of a Catholic church than any non-Catholic Christian church.

So, a religious statue is a good thing but, like all good things, a religious statue can be abused and turned into an idol, if it is treated as a god, and this is exactly what happened in the case of Moses' serpent statue. In the days of King Hezekiah, the Jews fell into idolatry and began treating Moses' serpent statue as if it were a god, offering it sacrifices of incense. King Hezekiah destroyed Moses' serpent statue because the Jews had turned the religious statue (a good thing) into an idol (a bad thing) by treating it as if it were a god. (2 Kings 18:4)

The Jews angered God for treating the golden calf statue they had made in the desert as a god and thus making it into an idol (Exodus 32:1-10), but God was pleased with the twelve bronze oxen statues that supported the large bronze sea that stood just outside Solomon's Temple. (1 Kings 7:23-39; 2 Chronicles 4:2-18) The only significant difference between the calf statue in the desert and the oxen statues outside Solomon's Temple was the way they were treated by the Jews, the one became an idol (a bad thing) when it was treated as a god and the others were simply religious statues (good things).

Catholic statues are simply religious statues and the Catholic Church condemns as idolatrous anyone who turns a religious statue into an idol by treating it as a god.
The difference is that it was by God's command that they put the cherubim over the "mercy seat." The cherubim in the O.T. are always portrayed as the protectors of God's holiness. It was God Himself who told the Israelites to place the bronze serpent on the standard so that when they looked to it they were healed when bitten. It was a "type" of Christ (Jn. 3:14), as was the "mercy seat" over the ark.

The difference is GOD told them to make these items for HIS purpose. God did not tell the Israelites to make the golden calf - nor does He tell us to make religious images to bow and pray before and to kiss.
Old Feb 21, '07, 6:42 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apophasis View Post
The difference is GOD told them to make these items for HIS purpose. God did not tell the Israelites to make the golden calf - nor does He tell us to make religious images to bow and pray before and to kiss.
Did God tell us to hang pictures of loved ones on the wall to remember them?
Old Feb 21, '07, 6:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by apophasis View Post
The difference is that it was by God's command that they put the cherubim over the "mercy seat." The cherubim in the O.T. are always portrayed as the protectors of God's holiness. It was God Himself who told the Israelites to place the bronze serpent on the standard so that when they looked to it they were healed when bitten. It was a "type" of Christ (Jn. 3:14), as was the "mercy seat" over the ark.

I agree that is A difference, but I still say the ESSENTIAL difference is that the golden calf was itself believed to be a deity, whereas the cherubim were not, as are not any of the statues in my church.

Further, Jesus meant for us to follow the authentic teaching an example of His Church, which speaks for Him. So in that sense, He has ordered statues and paintings vicariously.

Maybe another tack would be to follow the examples of saints whom we know are in Heaven. I cannot name any saints who are known for smashing statues or burning paintings, even criticizing them. They all seem pretty much on the same page with this, meaning that it's all good.
Old Feb 21, '07, 7:32 am

Religion: Catholic (revert)

Remember, in the OT they were not only told not to make graven images, they were told not to make any likeness of anything in heaven, on earth, under the earth or in the sea. In other words, a statue is no "worse" than a picture or a painting or a movie or a video. Now did God really mean that we cannot have any images in our lives? Hardly. He just doesn't want us to treat them like God.

And on this subject, is it really likely that the entire Church got it wrong? For not only the Catholics but also the Orthodox use images for sacred purposes. How is it that nobody, but nobody, figured that this was a problem until the Reformation, when untold amounts of sacred art (and music) were destroyedd by the "reformers"?
Old Feb 21, '07, 7:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by VociMike View Post
And on this subject, is it really likely that the entire Church got it wrong? For not only the Catholics but also the Orthodox use images for sacred purposes. How is it that nobody, but nobody, figured that this was a problem until the Reformation, when untold amounts of sacred art (and music) were destroyedd by the "reformers"?
I am glad Vocimike brought this up, b/c the Orthodox (greece, etc) are a good measuring stick for what is normal for Christians, since they are the ones St Paul wrote to and you figure they would know what they are doing all along.

Really any objection to sacred images is a veiled antagonism to the Church itself, not the focussed argument it pretends to be.

I seem to remember protestants gobbling up Mel Gibson's Passion film with two spoons, which was nothing but a moving version of the very type of artwork they don't like, and some protestant churches projected it onto movie screens, which I saw as a sort of irony or hypocrisy.
Old Feb 21, '07, 7:57 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Wherever did you get the idea that we pray to rosaries, crucifixes, statues, etc? Also, why do you think blessing an object makes it an idol? I'd like to understand how you acquired these notions.

Blessing an object is a tradition that comes to us from our Jewish heritage and continued in the New Testament times-- blessing objects and people consecrate them to a holy purpose. Crucifixes, rosaries, statues, churches, are all blessed because they are for a holy purpose. There is nothing idolatrous about consecrating things or people and dedicating them to God.

Quote:
And on that note, what about santuaries (actually, that is not the word I am looking for, but it is late and I am foggy). I mean places people go to honor and revere a saint.
Perhaps you mean a shrine?

Quote:
I know we pray to the Saints for intercession, but do you think God will see the direct reverence of such a place as a sin?
God is the author of the Communion of Saints. He created this Communion we share with the Saints in heaven. Jesus taught his Apostles the truths of the faith. So, why would God consider a sin that which he created? A doctrine of the faith cannot be false, or sinful.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Feb 21, '07, 7:13 pm
Banned

Religion: Protestant

Quote:
Originally Posted by VociMike
Remember, in the OT they were not only told not to make graven images, they were told not to make any likeness of anything in heaven, on earth, under the earth or in the sea. In other words, a statue is no "worse" than a picture or a painting or a movie or a video. Now did God really mean that we cannot have any images in our lives? Hardly. He just doesn't want us to treat them like God.
Actually, they were not to make those images into religious symbols. God Himself instructed the Israelites as to what symbols they were to use in their religious worship. They either spoke to His divine attributes or prefigured the Messiah to come. But it was God Himself who instructed them concerning these things - not the priests. Nor were those items ever bowed down to, kissed, or superstitiously "blessed" in order to give them some sort of extraordinary significance.

The writer of the Book of Hebrews begins with:
God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, in these last days has spoken to us in His Son..."
The many "portions and in many ways" include the religious objects He used to either symbolically describe Himself (His attributes) or to prefigure the coming of Messiah (His Person and work). But that was in the past, in anticipation of the One who gives them substance.

Today (this side of the cross) He speaks to us "in His Son." As Jesus Himself said:
"Let not your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me...If you had known Me you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him and have seen Him...he who has seen Me has seen the Father" (Jn. 14:1-9).
Those "portions and ways" belong to the past, Messiah has come, as the writer to the Hebrews says:
Heb 1:3 "And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,"
And he writes, speaking to those whose ancestors were given the ONLY true, sacred symbols in respect to the faith that was to come:
Heb 12:2 "...fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."
It's no longer about objects (actually never was), but the Son.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics