Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 22, '07, 3:28 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic (Latin Rite)
Default self-inflicted pain to stop masturbation

I have been trying to stop masturbating for awhile. After trying many different things, I feel that some sort of pain when I am going to start masturbating might be the best way to stop. What is a way I can do this?
Old Feb 22, '07, 3:46 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: self-inflicted pain to stop masturbation

God does not want you to hurt yourself my friend, please don't do this. I would suggest going to your priest and asking for spiritual guidance. There is plenty of other ways you can over come this without pain.
Old Feb 22, '07, 3:57 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
I have been trying to stop masturbating for awhile. After trying many different things, I feel that some sort of pain when I am going to start masturbating might be the best way to stop. What is a way I can do this?
St. Benedict rolled naked in a pile of clay pots, or thorn bush, depending on the story you read. I am NOT recommending this, but it is something that has been done in the past.

I agree with the other poster. Talk to your priest about what he thinks you should do.
I do believe, help my unbelief! - Mark 9:24
Old Feb 22, '07, 4:19 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamchara View Post
God does not want you to hurt yourself my friend, please don't do this. I would suggest going to your priest and asking for spiritual guidance. There is plenty of other ways you can over come this without pain.

Speaking as someone who, while I don't know that I've completely overcome this myself, have definitely improved well beyond what I would ever have thought possible, please don't do anything so drastic without advice from your priest for sure.

Cutting down, if not out, on suggestive tv shows and pop music helps a great deal. And lots of prayer - before, during and after those times when you're tempted! Mass and holy communion as often as you can possibly manage it. Frequent confession - weekly if you think it necessary. Even if you don't have masturbation or any other grave sins to confess it gives you strength against all sin.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Feb 22, '07, 5:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyM View Post

Cutting down, if not out, on suggestive tv shows and pop music helps a great deal. And lots of prayer - before, during and after those times when you're tempted! Mass and holy communion as often as you can possibly manage it. Frequent confession - weekly if you think it necessary. Even if you don't have masturbation or any other grave sins to confess it gives you strength against all sin.
I agree with the above quote. Though, this can be very hard due to peer pressures and old habits. You must not take this advise lightly. I too once had this problem. My healing path started when I realized the pain and destruction I was causing to myself, Our Lord, and my future wife (who I had no idea who they were at the time); I would repent and apologize so sincerely and fervently that I would cry. I would cry because of what I had just done and cry because of how it seemed like it couldn't be stopped. But it will stop! Never stop praying for these desires of yours to dissappear and for ones pointed directly at Jesus to be re-ignighted! And don't beat yourself up about it; God knows that on this earth we cannot escape sin. Be sincere in your repentance and apologies and keep talking to God about the situation. He is helping you!!

You must truly believe that this problem will stop. But you cannot expect this change to happen over night, though don't be surprised if it does! Make sure that you start listening intently to God and be obedient. You may have already heard Him "suggest" some ways to get you on the path to healing, but may not have felt that was important enough to give up or start doing. A lot of times we dismiss the Spirit's voice or ignore it. But it is there! Listen.

Try and really ponder the things that may cause you to masturbate. LilyM is very correct in saying that cutting out suggestive TV shows and pop music helps a great deal.

Something else that my help is understanding God's design of the human body. JPII's, The Theology of the Body, is such a great resource. There are a number of versions of this that are easy to read and contain the same substance.

I wish you the best and will be praying for you!! I've been there. I know you appreciate all the help you can get.

Peace of Christ,
Nicholas
Old Feb 22, '07, 5:31 pm

Religion: Western Branch of American Reform Presbylutheranism

If you smoke or if you've ever been addicted to tobacco, you know how difficult it is to give up and how many dozens or hundreds of times you have to try before you can give up for good. You also know how easy it is to relapse. People try to give up smoking in many different ways, and while nicotine replacement therapy is not an option for this problem, don't give up trying, man. Dust yourself off and try again.
Old Feb 22, '07, 6:17 pm

Religion: catholic

I woldn't try pain. There are people who are sadists and massequists or however you spell that word and they had to come to be that way some how. My guess is that sexual pleasure is not something to mess with. You may end up messing yourself up and becoming one of these S and Ms for all you know if you associate pain with it and then come to like it.
Old Feb 22, '07, 6:29 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Send a message via AIM to kell0618

Hello!

I have heard of similar struggles and I want to suggest one idea that a young man told me that he does: He wears a rubber band on his wrist and every time he is tempted, he snaps it. Not much pain, no injury, but a jolt of reminder. And no one needs to know why it is there.

There is some great information on this site and I am sure you will find information and encouragement there.

God bless you!

Kelly
Old Feb 22, '07, 6:40 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic, baby!

There is a great website with plenty of resources. Please go to www.trueknights.org and see what they have to offer you.

And pray. Pray unceasingly. Ask the Lord to hide you in his wounds and keep the impure thoughts away. It is tough, but you can do it.

Contact me privately if you like.
Old Feb 23, '07, 5:32 am
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: One, Holy, Catholic & Apostolic

Excellent advice has been given here, especially by LilyM and FraterInCristo. I myself have been greatly encouraged by the following two paragraphs from the Catechism of the Catholic Church, dealing with the vocation to chasity:
Quote:
2342 Self-mastery is a long and exacting work. One can never consider it acquired once and for all. It presupposes renewed effort at all stages of life.The effort required can be more intense in certain periods, such as when the personality is being formed during childhood and adolescence.

2343 Chastity has laws of growth which progress through stages marked by imperfection and too often by sin. "Man . . . day by day builds himself up through his many free decisions; and so he knows, loves, and accomplishes moral good by stages of growth."

"Long and exacting work", indeed it is.

Let us all pray for one another.

Peace all.
Old Feb 23, '07, 7:17 am
Book Club Member

Plan your days to keep yourself busy. An idle mind is the devil's playground. If you have spare time, pray the rosary.
Old Feb 23, '07, 7:19 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell0618 View Post
He wears a rubber band on his wrist and every time he is tempted, he snaps it.
I have heard that this can lead to latex allergies. Don't know if that is true, but it is something to consider.
Old Feb 23, '07, 12:56 pm

Religion: pantheist

Please don't do anything like this! You run the serious and real risk of forming an association between sex and pain which could lead to more serious/confused sexual issues in your life.

Talk to your priest and visit the websites suggested above for more appropriate help.

I also suggest reading the book by Jared the subway guy. It offers ideas about overcoming bad and self destructive habits.

One important one ( I know many people who have used this to help overcome smoking and over eating) is to note patterns of behavior associated with the addictive behavior. Do you masturbate at certain times of day, after certain types of activity or stimulation...altering other habits can help overcome the addictive habit. cut out or change the things that you associate with your addictive habit. Once a thing become part of our lives, it becomes connected to other activities or patterns, and a whole life approach is needed to root it out.

Really, check out that Jared book. It's a quick read, and probably available at your library for free.
Old Feb 24, '07, 7:25 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic (traditionalist)
Red face Re: self-inflicted pain to stop masturbation

From my web site's Catholic family-related links...

Overall:
Help with sexual addictions:Abstincence & chastity:
  • Real Love.net — Addressing key issues facing all of us with regard to faith, chastity and our culture.
  • Project Reality — Learn about the benefits of abstinence.
  • Abstinence Clearinghouse — Promoting the appreciation for and practice of sexual purity until marriage.
  • Truth 4 Youth — Providing an alternative to pop culture’s views on teenage relationships and sexual intimacy.
  • Pure Love Club — No fear tactics. No guilt trips…. Just the demands of authentic human love.
You can also listen to the EWTN "Carpenter's Workship" series in RealAudio format: 1999 episodes; 2003 episodes; 2005 episodes.
Old Feb 24, '07, 7:40 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic (traditionalist)
Red face Re: self-inflicted pain to stop masturbation

You may also increase your prayer life drastically and methodically. This will help to deliver you from temptation, renew your better instincts and bring you closer to God.

Don't forget: This is spiritual warfare. A soldier doesn't go to the battlefield unarmed. In spiritual warfare, a soldier of Christ must wear "a helmet of faith and a shield of good will," as St. Thomas Aquinas said.

Try praying the Divine Office or its abbreviated form, the Little Office of Our Lady. These require prayer at least five times daily:
  1. Matins — the Office of Readings
  2. Lauds — Morning prayer
  3. Daytime prayer, consisting of one or all of the following:
    • Terce — Mid-morning prayer
    • Sext — Midday prayer
    • None — Mid-afternoon prayer
  4. Vespers — Evening prayer
  5. Compline — Night prayer
In its full form, each hour involves hymns, psalms, scripture passages, a hagiographical passage (e.g., an account of a saint’s martyrdom or a theological tract) and prayers. It is practiced by priests and religious.

An abbreviated form called the Little Office of Our Lady is modeled after the Liturgy of the Hours and is recited by many lay Christians, including tertiary order Carmelites.

This Lent, consider increasing the time you devote to prayer. You might not follow the full Divine Office, but I encourage you to try the Little Office of Our Lady. (A simplified online version is available, or purchase this handsome (and affordable) bound edition.)

Don't be discouraged! While technically the Little Office follows the rubric of prayer five times daily, you may start by only reciting the morning and evening prayers. If you want to pause to pray in the middle of the day, add the Angelus at noon.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality