Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 24, '07, 12:43 pm

Default What to do at Eucharistic Adoration

Hi guys,

I was wondering, I am going to Eucharistic Adoration today. I am not all sure what I should do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks and God bless.
Old Feb 24, '07, 2:33 pm
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: One, Holy, Catholic & Apostolic
Default Re: What to do at Eucharistic Adoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montie Claunch View Post
Hi guys,

I was wondering, I am going to Eucharistic Adoration today. I am not all sure what I should do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks and God bless.
You may just want to be still, and realize Who you are with. It's wonderful, and the perfect setting for prayer.
If you are not sure, perhaps for your first time bring your Bible. Though it has been my expericne that a whole hour can pass without even feeling a need to open it,

Peace all.
Old Feb 24, '07, 4:26 pm
Forum Supporter

Eucharistic Adoration is not subject to a particular formula. There are many things a person can do. For example:

--enjoy the great privelege of gazing upon the Lord in the Eucharist.

--say prayers of thanksgiving

--ask God for forgiveness and the grace to remove your imperfections.

--pray for peace.

--pray for the end of abortion.

--pray that your relationship with the Lord will grow.

--pray for the grace to open every door and window to your heart, mind, and soul.

--pray for the grace to detach yourself from the things of this world.

--pray for the grace to put Jesus first and foremost in your life.

This list could be extended to include an incredible number of different things. I also like to read and meditate on scripture and to read and to sing, non-audibly of course, hymns of worship and praise.

Just go for it and let the Lord have his way with your spiritual life.
Old Feb 24, '07, 5:38 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic

And to add to the list above,
PRAY FOR HOLY VOCATIONS!!!
Old Feb 24, '07, 6:03 pm

Wonderful suggestions. I usually pray quietly, including the Rosary, and I also bring inspirational reading. My parish has a table set up just outside the doors of the chapel with reading materials which may be taken into the chapel during Adoration.
Old Feb 24, '07, 7:37 pm
Forum Elder

I place a couple of copies of Father Hardon's My Holy Hour, available from Eternal Life in the Chapel before Adoration each week. [Click on Booklets in the tight margin.]
Quote:
Prayers, litanies, reflections, the Mysteries of the Rosary, including the new Luminous Mysteries; all these and more help us to spend an hour in adoring our Blessed Lord with the love and fervor we should have for Him. A beautiful little prayer book that will become a favorite companion.
I originally got them for the Holy Thursday evening last year, but then put them out for Adoration. I had hoped they would be returned but have lost nearly 100 so far this year. They must be popular.

They cost $2 each but one can get 50 for $50 plus shippping. I decided to give up trying to recover them and am working to saturate the market instead.
Old Feb 28, '07, 11:46 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic Latin Rite

I usually have with me Scripture, another book for spiritual reading, and the rosary...

I almost always pray with Scripture, but I just come ready to pray however I feel called to pray at that time... so, it might mean sitting quietly for 30-45 minutes... and then praying the rosary... or, if I my mind is distracted and wandering, and I cannot manage with just silence during a busy day, I will do more spiritual reading. You don't want to cloud up prayer time with too much "activity" such that you fail to listen to God in the silence. There is no one way to pray... do whatever you feel gives the most glory to God at any one time (though, just showing up to pray gives God glory)...
Old Feb 28, '07, 11:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montie Claunch View Post
Hi guys,

Let yourself be loved by God.
The Epistle of St. Paul to the Churches of Galatia 5:25, 26
If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. Let us have no self-conceit,
no provoking of one another, no envy of one another.

Old Feb 28, '07, 12:03 pm
Prayer Warrior

Is it bad to spend less than an hour in adoration? I am adding adoration for Lent and didn't think I could make an hour right off, so I started with 20 minutes and hope to add 5-10 minutes each week. Or should I just be shooting for 1 hour right from the get go?
I do believe, help my unbelief! - Mark 9:24
Old Feb 28, '07, 12:06 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdnick View Post
Is it bad to spend less than an hour in adoration? I am adding adoration for Lent and didn't think I could make an hour right off, so I started with 20 minutes and hope to add 5-10 minutes each week.
I don't know if it is bad, but I'm reminded of when Jesus was in the garden and the apostles fell asleep and He said, couldn't you keep watch with me for at least an hour. Mathew 26:40 Tim
Old Feb 28, '07, 1:52 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic Latin Rite

Quote:
Is it bad to spend less than an hour in adoration? I am adding adoration for Lent and didn't think I could make an hour right off, so I started with 20 minutes and hope to add 5-10 minutes each week. Or should I just be shooting for 1 hour right from the get go?
I bet that, once you get in the practice/habit of eucharistic adoration, an hour will be easy to keep.
Old Feb 28, '07, 3:37 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Any time you can spend in adoration is time well spent, even if it's less than an hour. We have people who come to the adoration chapel in between daily Mass and going to work; sometimes all they have is ten minutes. But what better way to spend it?
Old Feb 28, '07, 3:50 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnnSFO View Post
Any time you can spend in adoration is time well spent, even if it's less than an hour. We have people who come to the adoration chapel in between daily Mass and going to work; sometimes all they have is ten minutes. But what better way to spend it?
I try to spend at least 15 minutes before or after daily Mass - sometimes Our Lord isn't exposed of course, but even being with Him in the tabernacle is wonderful.

It can be difficult - a lot of the churches round here like to shoo people away pretty quick smart so they can lock up after mass, and may only have a few hours adoration per week which don't always fit in with my schedule.

I try to find other ways to 'spend an hour' with him too - I combine Morning or Evening Prayer with one or more of scripture meditation, Rosary or Divine Mercy

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Feb 28, '07, 5:26 pm
Banned

Send a message via AIM to BayernAnhaenger

Is it OK to spend more than an hour in adoration??

time seems to always fly whenever I'm reading spiritual inspiration books, the Bible, and praying the Rosary!
Old Feb 28, '07, 8:58 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayernAnhaenger View Post
Is it OK to spend more than an hour in adoration??

time seems to always fly whenever I'm reading spiritual inspiration books, the Bible, and praying the Rosary!
No problem with that!

I have an assigned hour, past midnight. That time of day, there is rarely more than one person at a time in the adoration chapel. Because you cannot leave Jesus alone in there, you may have to hang around longer than an hour if the next person is late, or doesn't show up (a distinct possibility when dealing with the very wee hours of the morning. )

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality