Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Karl Keating's E-Letter: 2008

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 28, '07, 3:09 pm
President, Catholic Answers

Religion: Catholic, of course
Default Re: Karl Keating's E-Letter of February 27, 2007

1. Sad to learn about the selling of the "Protocols" at that conference. The presence of such things, even if just at a literature table and even if not directly authorized by the organizers, taints the whole event and, in consequence, taints the wider Traditionalist movement. If Traditionalists don't police themselves--and soon--their whole movement will be tarred--and tarred irreparably. They need to make a clean and complete break with the people and groups who push such stuff.

2. Yes, the Canyon is remarkable from the air. It is more remarkable from the rim. But it is truly "appreciateable" only from several miles in along a trail. The problem is the scale.

From 35,000 feet you can make out the green of "bushes" along the rims, but those "bushes" are really tall pines. You're just too high up.

From the rim you can see 14 or 17 miles across to the other rim, but your mind has no good way to weigh such a distance.

Only from the depths of the Canyon, which you have reached after hours of hiking beneath ever-growing cliffs, can you begin to get a sense of the scale, and it's humbling.
Old Feb 28, '07, 3:51 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Anti-Semitism at Latin Mass Con.

I would like to thank those who replied. I want to make it clear again that I have never heard any speaker at these conferences say anaything remotely anit-Semitic,and I have never seen anything in the very excellent Latin Mass magazine of that horrible nature. I asked one of the distinguished speakers if he understood that "Protocols" was a fraud and he said that he understood that to be the case but did not know that such books were on sale. By the way, I sent a protest letter on this to the Remnant because it was there that Chris Ferrera's generally good response to SPLC appeared. Clearly, the presence of that stuff at a Traditionalist event shows that Ferrera's criticism of Dr. Keating's article missed the mark; this clearly IS an area worth investigating.
Old Feb 28, '07, 6:23 pm

Dear Karl,

I really liked your letter and love the very idea of who is skeptical of what. It gives a whole new meaning to the word communication. How does one propose an idea to anyone without skepticism rearing its average head? Then again, how much trust is employed in normal regular conversation? How often does one come across as a wacko? How skeptical are we of people we don't like?

At my parish, we have two fairly good priests - escapees of the heresy loving bishop. At Mass, the priest will stand by a minister of Communion and the traditionals will tout that in the priest's line, Communion remains Communion. In the other line, the Communion returns to bread and wine simply because a lay man touched it. So you can guess I'm pretty skeptical about most of their toutings.

Skepticism and trust - two incredibly interesting human traits. Thanks so much.

Clon
Old Feb 28, '07, 8:10 pm

Clon:

It's one thing to prefer to receive Communion from a priest, but it's something else to think that if an EMHC distributes it, it "unconsecrates" back into plain bread. That isn't just dumb. It's heresy, and you might want to let the folks who think that way--and who probably think they have found heresy in many other folks--know it.
Old Mar 1, '07, 3:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Keating View Post
Clon:

It's one thing to prefer to receive Communion from a priest, but it's something else to think that if an EMHC distributes it, it "unconsecrates" back into plain bread. That isn't just dumb. It's heresy, and you might want to let the folks who think that way--and who probably think they have found heresy in many other folks--know it.
That's what I mean about communication. You can't tell them anything. They have religion sewn up in neat little packages that fit into their pockets. The one thing it does do is cause Catholics like me - and I used to think I was a traditional Catholic - think.

At the same time, these very devout but very misguided people are going up to Communion without shoes; falling on their faces; sitting in the farthest dark places in the church; groveling in every possible way. What the huge dramas teach me each time I see them is that the reception of Communion comes from the deep quiet recesses of my own heart.

If they need to perform because of what's in their hearts, so be it. Who am I to judge? The fact that they think human touch undoes what a priest's real gift to us is, is sad. Who do they think a priest is? What do they think he is supposed to be about? Is receiving from a priest better than a lay person and why?

Yet on the other side of the coin are the skeptics who don't believe Communion is anything but a common meal among friends. The gathering is the most important of the hour, and these people do everything they can to hide the minute and a half it takes to consecrate the meal.

Thanks for your time and what you do for your readers. It's my only Catholic think time.

Clon
Old Mar 1, '07, 7:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet94g View Post
Dear Karl,

I have a specific reply for you re: letter 2/27/07 but havehad it returned for incorrect email direct to you. Please reply with the correct address and I will forward my specifics.

Thank you.
Sally
Given that this is a public forum and this is where we discuss e-letter issues, I would hope this discussion would be a public one.
Old Mar 1, '07, 9:50 am

Religion: Roman (not American) Catholic

Hi Karl, I've enjoyed you're e-letters from the start, follow with interest your hiking jaunts, and thought you'd enjoy this 3D picture of the Grand Canyon from NASA.
Here's the link...
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/image...ature_769.html

Ad Jesum per Mariam,

Vince Sumoski MI
Old Mar 1, '07, 9:53 am

Religion: Roman (not American) Catholic

It truncated the link, here is everything after the nasa.gov:
/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_769.html
Old Mar 1, '07, 10:33 am

Vince:

Nice image, especially when you click on the full version link. Thanks.
Old Mar 2, '07, 10:14 am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceSumoski View Post
It truncated the link, here is everything after the nasa.gov:
/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_769.html
The full link is there and working.

Note: The forum software truncates the link display in order to make the sure that it fits in the post and doesn't cause weird wrapping problems. If you hold your mouse over the link text you will see the full link displayed in a pop up or in the status bar (depending on your browser).
Old Mar 2, '07, 10:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Admin View Post
Karl's E-Letter of February 27, 2007
http://www.catholic.com/newsletters/kke_070227.asp
Dear Karl Keating,

I think the point is well made: many Americans are gullible, and it does make sense that Americans ought to be more skeptical--I like SSPX for the reason that they are skeptical about the reach of papal authority; though, skepticism has, does, and will lead to heresy and in and of itself, with respect to some matters of faith, is a sin.

Saint Thomas did a lot for people like me, honestly, in my youth, without "Doubting Thomas", the likelihood that I would have accepted Jesus, or the Eucharist as the "Real Presence" would have been severely hampered--I always thought St. Thomas had something none of the other apostles had, "Chutzpa" might be the best word--it had to have taken something to walk up to Jesus, to stick his finger through a hole in his hand: no matter to what extent St. Thomas was welcomed to do this; thinking about it, had the opportunity not been provided ... it would have been sad; how sad it is today, when the opportunity is not taken, but rejected on the basis of some perceived wound to stature, pique.

Oil and corporate controlled agriculture industries require skepticism.

The Imperial Valley held an agriculturally based indigenous culture prior to Fr. Junipero Serra, one of the more aggressive, or the only truly aggressive against others culture in what we now define as “California”. The Salton Sea was more than dry. Water into the LA Basin had no dependency on AZ, on CO. Being ignorant both of many matters concerning Salmon, and the Grand Canyon does make skepticism difficult.

Tabloids are as well understood as The Declaration of Independence, probably on account of it sounding like so much gossip: “My! Have you been hearing about what His Royal Majesty (HRM) has done to us now?” “How horrid. We should start our own nation. Declare political independence.” What a reality show: FOX is happy to do this. Conservatives. What can I say.

I’m still waiting for the UFO. Equally tragic, I suppose.

Most sincerely,

Kristopher
Old Mar 2, '07, 10:53 am

A colleague reminded me of one salmon that did make it to Southern California.

Tim Salmon played baseball for the Los Angeles Angels until last year when he retired.

Sorry, that was too good to resist.
Old Mar 2, '07, 11:00 am
Administrator

FYI: The Google Earth app uses satellite imagery and terrain maps to provide a 3D, flyable view of the Grand Canyon (and the New Hance trail) all the way down to the sandy beach by the river.
Old Mar 6, '07, 8:00 pm

Default Solving Latin Mass Prob

Greetings to all who have followed both the controversy over the Southern Poverty Law Center's (SPLC) slanders against Traditionalism and my recent report of seeing anti-Semitic material on sale at a recent Latin Mass Conference. I e-mailed John Blewett, managing editor of The Latin Mass Magazine (TLM) to convey my concerns, and spoke with him today by phone. Mr. Blewett was surprised to learn the material in question was on sale there and assured me that he would look into it and put a stop to it. I want everyone to know that it is being taken care of. We have to remain vigilant in these matters! God Bless you all and Catholic Answers!
Old Mar 17, '07, 10:30 am
Banned

Post Re: Karl Keating's E-Letter of February 27, 2007

I totally agree! There are many unfortunately gullible folks in America today! Just study cults like Scientology, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, New Age, Seventh Day Adventists, just to name a few. Millions of poor souls allowing themselves to be scammed. Yes, there is a definite need for much more skepticism on the part of many!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Karl Keating's E-Letter: 2008