Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Mar 8, '07, 5:47 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Do nuns actually get married to Jesus?

Here are some quotes:

'Meanwhile Jesus-as we shall see in a moment-wanted something more. He wished that she,as His spouse, would place her whole self at the disposal of Hil love for sinners, and that, like Himself, she would make a sacrifice of herself to God to atone for their sins.'
Suster Faustina Kowalska-her life and her mission, Maria Tarnawska, P136

'Stripped of His clothes, His body covered with wounds. His eyes flooded with tears and blood, HIs face disfigured and covered with spittle. The lord then said to me, 'The bride must resemble her Bethrothed.' I understood these words ao their very depth.
Sister Faustina, P140

'It is not easy to study in the school of Jesus. God gives incomparably much Himself, but He demands the maximum effort from His Spouse. Her entire programme of the Lord's instruction at the time revolved around the problem of suffering.
Sister Faustian, P185'

At eleven o'clock...He brought me into such close intimacy with Himself that my heart was espoused to His Heart and He, mine.'
Sister Faustina, P326

Jesus was not sparing of ever new words of love for His spouse, as if their lvoing intimacy were, at the present stage of communion, one of His aims.
Sister Faustina P330
Old Mar 9, '07, 8:26 pm

Send a message via AIM to nMbR1BaRlOwGiRl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshana View Post
Here are some quotes:

'Meanwhile Jesus-as we shall see in a moment-wanted something more. He wished that she,as His spouse, would place her whole self at the disposal of Hil love for sinners, and that, like Himself, she would make a sacrifice of herself to God to atone for their sins.'
Suster Faustina Kowalska-her life and her mission, Maria Tarnawska, P136

'Stripped of His clothes, His body covered with wounds. His eyes flooded with tears and blood, HIs face disfigured and covered with spittle. The lord then said to me, 'The bride must resemble her Bethrothed.' I understood these words ao their very depth.
Sister Faustina, P140

'It is not easy to study in the school of Jesus. God gives incomparably much Himself, but He demands the maximum effort from His Spouse. Her entire programme of the Lord's instruction at the time revolved around the problem of suffering.
Sister Faustian, P185'

At eleven o'clock...He brought me into such close intimacy with Himself that my heart was espoused to His Heart and He, mine.'
Sister Faustina, P326

Jesus was not sparing of ever new words of love for His spouse, as if their lvoing intimacy were, at the present stage of communion, one of His aims.
Sister Faustina P330

whoa.
Old Mar 10, '07, 7:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nMbR1BaRlOwGiRl View Post
whoa.

Don't get into a carnal understanding of the mystical experiences of His Saints, GiRl; the language of marital love is used to express the profound intimacy between Christ and the soul conformed to Him; you will find similar language in Old Testament Song of Songs. Man's language in describing the heights of contemplative encounter with God of necessity is limited to the highest experience of marital love because man has a limited vocabulary to express the inexpressible.

"I am a daughter of the Church." St. Teresa of Jesus

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Magister adest et vocat te.
Old Mar 14, '07, 7:31 am

I think some of the first posters in this thread are thinking this over too much. There is no sacrament of Matrimony involved, so it is not marriage in that sense. In some orders, the vows are very much like wedding vows, and a nun's relationship with God should be like a spouse. It is a figurative term, but it is a good illustration of what nuns are supposed to be.

A nation that kills its own children is a nation without a future.- Pope John Paul II.
Old Mar 16, '07, 10:21 am
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to seremina Send a message via MSN to seremina Send a message via Yahoo to seremina

Really helpful info. I'm finally understanding this stuff, but I'm sure my understanding is limited until I've studied everything the Saints and Doctors of the Church have said about this issue. Using the words "married" and "marriage" and "spouse" are still a beautiful way to express the concepts; it almost seems, though, like a new word has to be invented to convey the right meaning--for it may confuse people.

However, there is one Order of ladies that really do marry Jesus. They are women that have consecrated their lives and lower parts to Jesus without entering a convent. They look like normal ladies but wear a special wedding ring. They are entered into a record book that the Pope keeps. The name of this Order escapes me, though. >_<; Somebody help?

I think the one person is referring to Protestant nuns and Buddhist nuns. I don't think they have the same viewpoint as Catholic nuns do. But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. ^_^;

I have a question. I can't remember who used this phrase, but could someone tell me if I'm using it in the right context? Someone said that the most sacred intercourse of all, is sacred intercourse with our Lord. It had a footnote that explained its referring to the deepest level of prayer, for God does not require the carnal from us. Is that the right context? If so, how do you work towards doing that deep of a prayer?
Old Mar 28, '07, 1:30 pm
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to seremina Send a message via MSN to seremina Send a message via Yahoo to seremina

I just came back to let you know what the name of that Order I mentioned was. I found it in Google. Its called Consecrated Virgins. Basically, what it is, is you promise to be a virgin by not being sexually active at all, and go through the preparation process with a spiritual director. Once done, you have a wedding ceremony and ring done by your Bishop. Your name will be recorded in your country's record book and I think the Pope has a copy of that.

http://www.consecratedvirgins.org/index.html
Old Mar 28, '07, 8:28 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

It seems to me that there is a case of mistaken semantics, and uncareful reading or something....so here's my summary of the discussion.
Marriage is a sacrament between a man and a woman.
A nun's relationship with Christ is similar to a marriage but it is a higher, closer relationship. This point has been stated repeatedly, so to those who insist that the sisterhood is a marriage, would you agree that a nun's relationship with God is more intimate than a sacramental marriage?
Old Mar 31, '07, 2:47 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirithound View Post
It seems to me that there is a case of mistaken semantics, and uncareful reading or something....so here's my summary of the discussion.
Marriage is a sacrament between a man and a woman.
A nun's relationship with Christ is similar to a marriage but it is a higher, closer relationship. This point has been stated repeatedly, so to those who insist that the sisterhood is a marriage, would you agree that a nun's relationship with God is more intimate than a sacramental marriage?
Huh? [blink, blink] I didn't think anybody was insisting that nunhood is a marriage anymore. I think everybody agreed that "marriage" was used because its the only word that would fit the description, though its clearly a separate concept. So we've begun calling it "spiritual marriage" instead.

I agree that nunhood would be more intimate than a sacramental marriage, because our Lord is closer to us than any mortal husband would be. Its for this reason that we say that marriage involves 3 people. God, the groom, and the bride. I would think marriage itself is a sacrament because God is giving the bride to the groom with the promises that the bride and groom must keep in order to be loyal to each other. Thus, divorce--which is not sanctioned in the Church--is not only an insult to the spouse, its an insult to God and the marriage promises. Divorce was only permitted before Jesus banned it, as the Jewish were pretty harsh people to their women [not saying they were abusive, just harsh]; Jewish people still are harsh to their women to this day.

However, as I did point out, there is one Catholic Order [not nuns] of women that really do literally marry Jesus. That's all I was pointing out as a final point for my contribution to this discussion. I really appreciated and enjoyed the answers I received. Thank you all, and God bless.
Old Mar 31, '07, 1:46 pm
Veteran Member

"Literally marry" would mean the same as if they married a man, the kind of marriage to which canon law applies.
Old Mar 31, '07, 3:46 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
"Literally marry" would mean the same as if they married a man, the kind of marriage to which canon law applies.
How do you figure that? Jesus is not an ordinary man. Jesus is God, part of the Holy Trinity. You could say He became a Divine Man. Or how the saints called it "a God-Man". Or are you trying to point something else out? If so, please spell it out for me.
Old Apr 13, '07, 8:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermitcrab View Post
lol!

Very few outside religious life understand.. that is fine. But those who espouse the Lord Jesus Christ know this truth as His Brides.
Then as His Brides, will those inside "religious life" ask Him for the gift of teaching so that the rest of His "not as holy" members can have some understanding?

2 Cor 10:7 "You are looking at things as they are outwardly If anyone is confident in himself that he is Christ's, let him consider this again within himself, that just as he is Christ's, so also are we."

Michael
Old Apr 13, '07, 8:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshana View Post
The consummation that the nuins experience (those who strive for it) is the consummation of the the soul with Jesus. Even the imagery is the same in the sense that the Holy Spirit enters into one's soul, etc. St John of the Cross explains that beautifully...[/color][/font]
Are not all Catholics called to strive for union of the soul with Jesus?

Michael
Old Dec 1, '08, 8:52 am

Religion: Catholic,

they are married to Jesus.the church used to punish the nuns who acted against their virginity because they played adultery against Jesus.a man who violated a nun was punished because of violating a spouse of Jesus.saint Jerome calls such a man a slave who is a violater of spouse of his master.
Old Dec 1, '08, 11:24 am
Prayer Warrior

I had forgotten this thread. Yes, they actually do get married to Jesus, depending on the Order. I've talked to enough nuns to get that confirmed. So there is really no contest that they are.
Old Dec 1, '08, 2:09 pm

This is the consecration prayer recite by the bishop from the Rite of Consecration of Virgins Living in the World. Please note the bridal imagry. The insignia presented are the ring and the book of the Liturgy of the Hours.

PRAYER OF CONSECRATION
After the renewal of intention, the candidates return to their places in the sanctuary and kneel. The bishop extends his hands over them, and sings or says
the prayer of consecration. The words in brackets may be omitted.

Loving Father,
chaste bodies are your temple;
you delight in sinless hearts.
Our nature was corrupted
when the devil deceived our first parents,
but you have restored it in Christ.
He is your Word, through whom all things were made.
He has made out nature whole again,
and made it possible for mortal people to reflect the life of angels.
Lord,
look with favor an your handmaids.
They place in your hands their resolve to live in chastity,
You inspire them to take this vow;
now they give you their hearts.
[Only you can kindle this flame of love, and feed its brightness,
giving strength and perseverance to our will.
Without you our flesh is weak,
bound by the law of nature,
free with false freedom,
imprisoned by habit,
softened by the spirit of the age.]
You have poured out your grace upon all peoples.
You have adopted as heirs of the new covenant
sons and daughters from every nation under heaven,
countless as the stars.
Your children are born, not of human birth,
nor of manís desire, but of your Spirit.
Among your many gifts
you give to some the grace of virginity.
Yet the honor of marriage is in no way lessened.
As it was in the beginning,
your first blessing still remains upon this holy union.
Yet your loving wisdom chooses those
who make sacrifice of marriage
for the sake of the love of which it is the sign.
They renounce the joys of human marriage,
but cherish all that it foreshadows.
[Those who choose chastity have looked upon the face of Christ,
its origin and inspiration.
They give themselves wholly to Christ,
the Son of the ever-virgin Mary,
and the heavenly Bridegroom of those
who in his honor dedicate themselves to lasting virginity.]
Lord,
protect those who seek your help.
They desire to be strengthened by your blessing and consecration.
Defend them from the cunning and deceit of the enemy.
Keep them vigilant and on their guard;
may nothing tarnish the glory of perfect virginity,
or the vocation of purity which is shared by those who are married.
Through the gift of your Spirit, Lord,
give them modesty with right judgment,
kindness with true wisdom,
gentleness with strength of character,
freedom with the grace of chastity.
Give them the warmth of love,
to love you above all others.
Make their lives deserve our praise,
without seeking to be praised.
May they give you glory
by holiness of action and purity of heart.
May they love you and fear you;
may they love you and serve you.
Be yourself their glory, their joy, their whole desire.
Be their comfort in sorrow, their wisdom in perplexity,
their protection in the midst of injustice,
their patience in adversity,
their riches in poverty,
their food in fasting,
their remedy in time of sickness.
They have chosen you above all things;
may they find all things in possessing you.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.
All: Amen.

PRESENTATION OF THE INSIGNIA OF CONSECRATION
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations