Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 28, '07, 3:47 pm
Banned
Forum Supporter

Religion: Born into Baptistism, Born Again into Catholichristianity
Lightbulb Rick Warren and Saddleback

Since there is a thread on Joel Osteen, I would like some information and opinions on Rick Warren.

So what is he about?
Old Feb 28, '07, 3:56 pm

Religion: Born again christian
Default Re: Rick Warren and Saddleback

He does not teach health and weallth. He teaches the gospel of Jesus Christ. By his words and actions he seems like a Godly man to me.

I suppose people here will slam him simply because he is not catholic.
Old Feb 28, '07, 4:02 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLFORHIM View Post
I think that's an unfair thing to say about most of the posters here. I've known plenty of very Godly people who are not Catholic. Fr. Corapi even says so.
Old Feb 28, '07, 4:02 pm

Religion: Orthodox Christian (Bulgarian Diocese of USA)
Send a message via AIM to Harpazo Send a message via MSN to Harpazo Send a message via Skype™ to Harpazo

Quote:
He does not teach health and weallth. He teaches the gospel of Jesus Christ. By his words and actions he seems like a Godly man to me.

Hmm you seem to be doing what you don't like to see Catholics do, judging their hearts and minds? Just an observation.

People seem to follow his teachings rather religiously (no pun intended). I haven't seen anything controversial about him. His book The Purpose Driven Life seems to be extremely popular. As for me, I'll go by what the Baltimore Catechism says. I remember it putting it really plain and simple, yet I can't remember what it says.

In Pax Christi
Andrew

Check out my Examiner page.
"It is later than you think! Therefore, hasten to do the work of God!" - Blessed Seraphim of Platina.
Old Feb 28, '07, 5:02 pm
Banned
Forum Supporter

Has anyone read "The Purpose Driven Life"?
Old Feb 28, '07, 5:25 pm

I have read it a couple of times. One was actually done in a Bible study at my church (Catholic).

I wasn't particularly impressed with the book. For one thing, I don't agree that anyone needs to make their church more "seeker friendly". I think that's the Holy Spirit's job to draw people. I've seen too many churches in my area leave doctrine behind to be more friendly. Complete with coffee shops in their entrances.

Another problem was the use of several different Bible translations. I do use more than one in my own personal study, but I felt like it interfered with the flow of the book. That's just personal opinion of course!
Old Feb 28, '07, 5:26 pm

Oh and just so it's clear, I'm watching American Idol right now so I also found it distracting, pitchy yo dawg. But Paula liked the cover art. It looked nice.
Old Feb 28, '07, 5:38 pm

Religion: other

Yep, twas a little pitchy! LOL

Rick Warren? Cannot stand him, tried to read the book, made me ill.

Oops, commercial over, idol back on!
Old Feb 28, '07, 5:51 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyWarren View Post
Has anyone read "The Purpose Driven Life"?
I've read quite a lot of it..I liked it ...Sometimes books like these appeal to people who are searching ...(hope that's the word I was looking for) It is a obviously by a protestant pastor.
For me...I take what I can use and pass over the rest. Now I would very much recommend it to the inmates in my prison ministry...sometimes you must meet people where they are...of course the Holy Spirit helps with this...
Old Feb 28, '07, 6:00 pm
Banned
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Another problem was the use of several different Bible translations. I do use more than one in my own personal study, but I felt like it interfered with the flow of the book. That's just personal opinion of course!
I notice that a lot of Protestants use several translations....one translation does not wholly conform to thier personal belief and interpretation.
Old Feb 28, '07, 6:55 pm

IMO, it should be called The Purpose Driven Death. To me the man is a cult leader. He wants to recruit '1 billion Christian foot soldiers' who are willing to do 'whatever it takes' to turn the entire planet into a purpose-driven Kingdom of God. Do you want someone telling you how you can worship? It will be his version of christianity. He has stated several times that he wants to connect the Protestants and the Catholics together, that basicly they both want the same thing. I wonder what the compromise will be? Not saying they cannot get along and do not share some of the same beliefs but do you want to be part of his Global P.E.A.C.E. Plan? Google Saddleback Church, thats scary enough. Saddleback PEACE site is In Irvine Ca. And oh yeah, for all the people here who do not think very kindly towards Islam, google Rick Warren and his trip to Syria.

He lovebombs people, however if you do not get with the program he teaches his people to shun you in love, that is until you come crawling back, then they know they have properly broken you down, destroyed the spirit God gave you, and can remold into what they think you should be. And what Rick Warren wants you to be is what Christ wants you to be (note sarcasm) Warren has also stated that God can not possible use anyone without using other people to help you, that it will not happen because that is the way God planned it. Did anyone bother telling God that he could not use anyone without also using others connected to you? I will never fall into a hive mind mentality. That is a way to keep you from leaving the pack.

Almost forgot to add. I know my New Age because that is what I was considered for a very long time. Christians should know more about it IMO because they are falling for it. Back in 2005 the Rick Warren hired New Age promoter, Ken Blanchard to "help train church leaders to be like Jesus". Blanchards mixes in his beliefs mantra meditation, yoga, and Buddhism. He also sits on a Board of Advisors of a New Age organization. I copied a list of just a few books he has endorsed, remember this is the man Rick Warren used to train them to be more like Jesus:

Wrote foreword to Jim Ballard's Mind Like Water
Wrote foreword to Franz Metcalf's What Would Buddha Do At Work?
Is on the Front Cover of Corporate Mystic-(Listen)
Is on the Back Cover of Deepak Chopra's 7 Spiritual Laws of Success
Jim Ballard, a staunch New Ager, and a colleague of The Ken Blanchard Companies
Wrote the Foreword to Ellen Tadd's (clairvoyant) book, Death and Letting Go.

People in Rick Warrens organization are basicly spied on, they go through rigerous training, monitoring (via high-tech internet feedback loops), databanking (personal, psychological and corporate information), He is a Meglomaniac who said that Church should be run like a business. His is very much into technology and is constantly trying to think of ways to use it to further his goals. I will not go crazy like some people do and call him an Anti-Christ, but I will say this, the Global P.E.A.C.E. Plan is downright scary.
Old Feb 28, '07, 9:03 pm

Send a message via AIM to Pisio Send a message via Yahoo to Pisio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auriel View Post
tried to read the book, made me ill.
Agree completely. I also tuned out the accompanying video series when he emphatically stated the baptism does not save.
Old Feb 28, '07, 9:21 pm

I've seen several TV interviews with Rick Warren. He never talks about Jesus. His favorite topic of conversation seems to be Rick Warren.

Paul
Old Feb 28, '07, 9:27 pm

Quote:

Just wanted to point out, I slammed him and I am not Catholic.
LOL
Old Feb 28, '07, 11:55 pm

Our church did a study on The Purpose Driven Life and it was well received. I think our priest, who taught the class himself, had an objective of making better evangelists out of us. He used what was good about Rick Warren's ideas and also made sure that we understood what Protestant attitudes in the book are different from what the Catholic Church teaches. I never did hear a single person say that they didn't benefit from the study.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions