Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 28, '07, 6:28 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to MarkA16
Default What is Evangelical, Liturgical, etc?

This is what confuses me. Honestly I don't know what these mean, because I see it being used in ways that get me confused. I hear that Catholics are Liturgical, Evangelicals are Protestants. Then I read "Fundamentalism and Evangelicalism" (site is down), thinking that this can also say, "Fundamentalists and Catholics". Then I read Evangelical for Protestants and Catholic Evangelicals.

Then I was watching Montel who had a guest psychic Sylvia Browne and she predicted that "Evangelicals were using their money for the wrong things". Suddenly, I stopped to think what Evangelicals were. But still, I don't know.

I hope it doesn't sound that confusing.
Old Feb 28, '07, 6:57 pm
Banned

Default Re: What is Evangelical, Liturgical, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA16 View Post
This is what confuses me. Honestly I don't know what these mean, because I see it being used in ways that get me confused. I hear that Catholics are Liturgical, Evangelicals are Protestants. Then I read "Fundamentalism and Evangelicalism" (site is down), thinking that this can also say, "Fundamentalists and Catholics". Then I read Evangelical for Protestants and Catholic Evangelicals.

Then I was watching Montel who had a guest psychic Sylvia Browne and she predicted that "Evangelicals were using their money for the wrong things". Suddenly, I stopped to think what Evangelicals were. But still, I don't know.

I hope it doesn't sound that confusing.
People these days don't use words very well.

Type 1:
If they KNOW what they are saying, and they allow their audiences to remain confused, then they are willfully confusing people, and that is evil.

Type 2:
If they DON'T KNOW what they are saying, and they continue to say it, then they are willfully misleading people, and that is evil.

Type 3:
If they KNOW what they are saying, and they take the time to actually make their audiences understand them, then they are the Pope/Magisterium,.. whom no one (but a few Catholics) has the attention span to listen to.

Silvia Brown is an example of both Type-1 and Type-2.
Oprah is a Type-2.

Type-1's are mostly "politicians" of one form or another.
Type-2's are mostly "useful idiots" of one form or another.
Old Feb 28, '07, 6:58 pm

Religion: Catholic, Bible Believing, New Evangelist (ex-Protestant)

Before I answer this. Pull the dictionary off the shelf. Many people do not use words correctly. I would conjecture that it is usually unintended and just plain ignorance [not to insult].

Look up the following words:
Catholicism
Protestantism
Evangelism
Fundamentalism
Radicalism

Catholics - East and West (Latin) Church
Orthodox is catholic
Protestants - Lutheran, Presbyterian, Methodist, First Baptist, Southern Baptist, Church of Christ, Christian Churhc, Disciples of Christ, "non-denomenational" Christian/Bible Churches, etc.

Evangelist - someone that evangelizes or brings others to Christ by "bringing the word of God" to them - Cathicism uses this a little differently but also this way - the flavor [misuse intended to show how people mix up words to convey meaning but miss the mark - like me]

Fundamentalist - could be any group whether religious or political. Down to basics. Different usage: Fundamentals of Mathematics. Fundamentals of Engineering Exam.

I'm sure an English major could do a better job.
Old Feb 28, '07, 7:01 pm

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic (skeptic, frequently)

Evangelical comes from evangelization and the emphasis on spreading the Gospel. Catholics were the first evangelicals. Liturgical means that they have a liturgy. Catholis, Lutherans, Episcopalians, Anglicans, Methodists and probably a few others have liturgical worship (meaning simply organized and ritualized). Unfortunately, today the term evangelical is used to divide and denote in a negative way rather than positive.

So basically, evangelical means that there is an emphasis on evangelization=spreading the Gospel and liturgical means that there is an organized liturgy.

Hopefully this helps.
Old Mar 1, '07, 11:15 am

Religion: Born again christian

I think these guys did a good job explaining here.

Evangelicals are those who focus on spreading the Gospel. Unfortunately the world has made this to be a dirty word of sorts. Same with with fundamentalist. Someone above explained it well. But, when people speak of a fundamentalist they are more likey referring to someone who is legalistic(It is a term Evangelical Christians use to describe a doctrinal position that emphasizes a system of rules and regulations in achieving both salvation and spiritual growth. Strict literal adherence to those rules and regulations is demanded)

An Evangelical can be anyone from any christian religion that spreads the Gospel of Christ.

I only learned what liturgical meant from these forums(even though I was raised Episcopalian)

My church considers itself evangelical in the sense that we evangelize and reach out to the community.
Old Mar 1, '07, 1:21 pm

Religion: Western Branch of American Reform Presbylutheranism

I may be wrong, but this is how I understand these terms, so Protestants correct me.

Evangelicals
  • Can belong to any Protestant denomination
  • Typically very Christ and Bible-oriented
  • Quite conservative, socially and theologically
  • Emphasise the born-again experience
  • Emphasise evangelism
  • Often, but not always, have a simple or no liturgy (simple and more informal services), often in unadorned churches
  • Hold a range of views on Catholicism, from "just another denomination" to staunch anti-Catholicism.

Fundamentalists
  • Typically belong to Baptist, Pentecostal or Non-Denom denominations, though not all Baptists, Pentecostals or Non-Denoms are fundamentalists.
  • Similar in some regards to Evangelicals, but interpret Bible far more rigidly. Often very legalistic and intolerant of disagreement.
  • Creationism and end of world theologies figure much more prominently than among Evangelicals.
  • Little or no liturgy
  • Often virulently anti-Catholic; sometimes perceive the Catholic Church as the Whore of Babylon, the Pope as the Antichrist, and consider many Protestant denominations such as Lutheranism to be apostate

Mainline Protestants
  • Belong to more traditional denominations such as Anglicanism, Lutheranism, Presbyterianism.
  • Often have either modernist or traditional Protestant theology - those with liberal theology are not unlike "cafeteria" or "liberal" Catholics, and those with traditional Protestant theology are quite similar to orthodox Catholics.
  • Typically socially liberal, except for traditional Protestants
  • Typically have little in the way of dogmatic beliefs, except for traditional Protestants
  • Often have services resembling the Catholic Mass (more "liturgical")
  • Range from "all roads lead to heaven" view of Catholicism to anti-Catholic, either because of disagreement with Catholic morality or for traditional Protestant reasons.

Fundamentalists and Evangelicals are sometimes lumped together because the line is blurry, but more so because some people like to lump Evangelicals together with snakehandler sects, which themselves are far more extreme than normal Fundamentalists.

And an Evangelical Catholic would most likely be as ALLFORHIM described.

Since Evangelical Protestants are typically quite conservative, perhaps there are people who could also use it to denote an orthodox Catholic, who, like the Evangelical Protestant, emphasises a conversion experience, Scripture and a more personal relationship with Jesus Christ, though I haven't really heard the phrase used before, so I can't say for sure.

Last edited by jonk; Mar 1, '07 at 1:32 pm.
Old Mar 1, '07, 1:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk View Post
I may be wrong, but this is how I understand these terms, so Protestants correct me.

Evangelicals
  • Can belong to any Protestant denomination
  • Typically very Christ and Bible-oriented
  • Quite conservative, socially and theologically
  • Emphasise the born-again experience
  • Emphasise evangelism
  • Often, but not always, have a simple or no liturgy (simple and more informal services), often in unadorned churches
  • Hold a range of views on Catholicism, from "just another denomination" to staunch anti-Catholicism.

Fundamentalists
  • Typically belong to Baptist, Pentecostal or Non-Denom denominations, though not all Baptists, Pentecostals or Non-Denoms are fundamentalists.
  • Similar in some regards to Evangelicals, but interpret Bible far more rigidly. Often very legalistic and intolerant of disagreement.
  • Creationism and end of world theologies figure much more prominently than among Evangelicals.
  • Little or no liturgy
  • Often virulently anti-Catholic; sometimes perceive the Catholic Church as the Whore of Babylon, the Pope as the Antichrist, and consider many Protestant denominations such as Lutheranism to be apostate

Mainline Protestants
  • Belong to more traditional denominations such as Anglicanism, Lutheranism, Presbyterianism.
  • Often have either modernist or traditional Protestant theology - those with liberal theology are not unlike "cafeteria" or "liberal" Catholics, and those with traditional Protestant theology are quite similar to orthodox Catholics.
  • Typically socially liberal, except for traditional Protestants
  • Typically have little in the way of dogmatic beliefs, except for traditional Protestants
  • Often have services resembling the Catholic Mass (more "liturgical")
  • Range from "all roads lead to heaven" view of Catholicism to anti-Catholic, either because of disagreement with Catholic morality or for traditional Protestant reasons.

Fundamentalists and Evangelicals are sometimes lumped together because the line is blurry, but more so because some people like to lump Evangelicals together with snakehandler sects, which themselves are far more extreme than normal Fundamentalists.
Looks about right to me Im not sure what unadorned churches means
Old Mar 1, '07, 1:36 pm

Unadorned - I meant no statues, no paintings, no crucifixes, no symbols. Some Lutheran and especially Anglican churches I've seen are quite similar to Catholic churches, but I've seen Presbyterian and Evangelical churches with just a cross and nothing more.
Old Mar 1, '07, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Unadorned - I meant no statues, no paintings, no crucifixes, no symbols. Some Lutheran and especially Anglican churches I've seen are quite similar to Catholic churches, but I've seen Presbyterian and Evangelical churches with just a cross and nothing more.
Thank you We have crosses around our church. At Easter we drape a purple cloth and put a crown of thorns on the cross.

UH OH maybe we decorate too much
Old Mar 1, '07, 1:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLFORHIM View Post
At Easter we drape a purple cloth and put a crown of thorns on the cross.
Shock!
Old Mar 1, '07, 2:15 pm

Quote:
Shock!
SHHHH dont tell anyone
Old Mar 1, '07, 3:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLFORHIM View Post
Thank you We have crosses around our church. At Easter we drape a purple cloth and put a crown of thorns on the cross.
Try this, if it's not "too Catholic," drape the purple cloth over the cross and put on the crown of throns on Ash Wednesday and leave it there until Easter as a reminder of the Passion. Before the first Easter service, remove the purple and the thorns and replace it with a white cloth. Give it a shot. You might just be moved.

Tiber Swim Team '03

When someone steals another's clothes, we call them a thief. Should we not give the same name to one who could clothe the naked and does not?

Basil the Great
Old Mar 2, '07, 4:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Eagle View Post
Try this, if it's not "too Catholic," drape the purple cloth over the cross and put on the crown of throns on Ash Wednesday and leave it there until Easter as a reminder of the Passion. Before the first Easter service, remove the purple and the thorns and replace it with a white cloth. Give it a shot. You might just be moved.
You know what they might already do that. I couldnt make it to church last week because my daughter was sick and I had to take her to the doctor. Yes our doctors are open on Sundays for emergencies.

Sometimes Im oblivious to things unless I purposely look. So I will do so this Sunday. I dont remember things from year to year even though it is the same. Im not even that old
Thanks
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions