Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 1, '07, 12:56 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)
Send a message via AIM to Mannyfit75 Send a message via MSN to Mannyfit75 Send a message via Yahoo to Mannyfit75
Default Why do Protestant hate Mary?

I don't mean to put this in the wrong context but it seem to me that most Protestants who like to distant themselves to Mary, hate Mary.

I could just imagine how Jesus feels when they insult his mother on their judgement day.

If you are one of those Protestants do hate or distant themselves to Mary, I would re-think your position and think how Jesus would feel if they dishonor His Mother, who gave him a flesh, bone, and blood.

"They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not admit that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ,.." - St. Ignatius of Antioch, "Letter to the Smyrnaeans", paragraph 6. circa 80-110 A.D." - Manny
Old Mar 1, '07, 1:22 pm
Banned

Religion: Presbyterian (PCA)
Default Re: Why do Protestant hate Mary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannyfit75 View Post
I don't mean to put this in the wrong context but it seem to me that most Protestants who like to distant themselves to Mary, hate Mary.

I could just imagine how Jesus feels when they insult his mother on their judgement day.

If you are one of those Protestants do hate or distant themselves to Mary, I would re-think your position and think how Jesus would feel if they dishonor His Mother, who gave him a flesh, bone, and blood.
What do you mean by distancing ones self from Mary?
Old Mar 1, '07, 1:28 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Mannyfit75 Send a message via MSN to Mannyfit75 Send a message via Yahoo to Mannyfit75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed1 View Post
What do you mean by distancing ones self from Mary?
Many Protestants or most refuse to acknowledge her as their spiritual mother.

They don't give her honor. Instead of trying to understand they insult her by refusing to call her blessed...

"They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not admit that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ,.." - St. Ignatius of Antioch, "Letter to the Smyrnaeans", paragraph 6. circa 80-110 A.D." - Manny
Old Mar 1, '07, 1:32 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

Don't be silly. They don't hate Mary.

Very few insult Mary, they insult what they think Catholic teaching is. Not the same thing at all.

They distance themselves from what they think is Catholic teaching - or from actual Catholic teaching, not from Mary, per se.
Old Mar 1, '07, 1:35 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasimodo View Post
They distance themselves from what they think is Catholic teaching - or from actual Catholic teaching, not from Mary, per se.

That does make sense but their objection seens to be hatred towards Mary IMP.

Old Mar 1, '07, 1:36 pm
Banned

Religion: Presbyterian (PCA)

Quote:
Many Protestants or most refuse to acknowledge her as their spiritual mother.

They don't give her honor. Instead of trying to understand they insult her by refusing to call her blessed...
I don't know what you mean by the phrase "spiritual mother". What does this mean?

Since Mary being called blessed is scriptural I would be suprised that someone would have a problem with that unless it was in the midst of an argument and they were responding to what they see as an over reaction to Mary in Catholic theology. In other words, perhaps they lost their head for a minute.
Old Mar 1, '07, 1:38 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic

Distancing oneself from the truth is still distancing, even if done with 'good intentions'.

Although I do not believe that Protestants hate Mary individually, or even hate their 'idea of the Catholic interpretation of Mary', so much but rather that they are so focused on whatever narrow focus (even if that focus is good in itself, like a love of God) they believe is 'right' that anything else is a distraction at best and a 'devil's snare' at worst.

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Mar 1, '07, 1:39 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed1 View Post
I don't know what you mean by the phrase "spiritual mother". What does this mean?

Since Mary being called blessed is scriptural I would be suprised that someone would have a problem with that unless it was in the midst of an argument and they were responding to what they see as an over reaction to Mary in Catholic theology. In other words, perhaps they lost their head for a minute.

When Jesus was at the foot of the Cross he gave his mother to John. In essence, she became the spiritual mother of all Christians. This is what I mean that Mary is our spiritual mother.

There are those Protestants who have no problem with Mary even though they don't like to give her special titles, which we Catholics often called her out of reverence and respect since she is the Mother of Jesus Christ.

Last edited by Mannyfit75; Mar 1, '07 at 1:40 pm. Reason: editing
Old Mar 1, '07, 2:07 pm

Religion: Christian

I have never talked to anyone who hates Mary. I have also known some of the most fundamentalist Christians you can imagine. I have never read anything on this forum that even resembles "hate" towards Mary.
1Ch 16:34 O give thanks unto the LORD; for [he is] good; for his mercy [endureth] for ever.
Old Mar 1, '07, 2:41 pm

Religion: Christian NOS

Yes, all the Protestants I have ever encountered have never "hated" Mary, they simply misinterpret the nature of Marian devotion and are misinformed about how much emphasis is placed on Mary (as was I).
Phil 4:4; 2 Tim 2:25; John 8:32, 36
Old Mar 1, '07, 2:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredricks View Post
I have never talked to anyone who hates Mary. I have also known some of the most fundamentalist Christians you can imagine. I have never read anything on this forum that even resembles "hate" towards Mary.
I concur. There's a strong difference between strongly, passionately disagreeing with Catholic beliefs about Mary, but I've never met a Protestant who "hates" her.
Old Mar 1, '07, 2:57 pm

Perhaps the perception of hatred is due to a reluctance of some groups to, in any way, give the impression that Mary was at all special?

I know that prior to my coming Home I was quite active in Brethren assemblies- Mary was a problem subject to be sure. At Christmas there was tremendous debate over whether the children should sing "Mary did you know?" in the pageant, because the song made it look as though Mary had any real importance (I'm not making this up) In addition the message was delivered, in both small group studies and from the pulpit, that not only was Mary not special- chances are she wasn't even a virgin when Christ was conceived. The assertion was that the word translated 'virgin' could also be interpreted 'maiden'.

In short (or maybe not so short) we were reminded fairly regularly that Mary was essentially insignificant- she could have been anyone.
Old Mar 1, '07, 3:12 pm

Religion: pantheist

I have never heard any Protestant say anything hateful about Mary. Some have serious issue with certain practices that some use to "honor" her, but that does not equate hating or dishonoring Mary herself.

Many Protestant denominations simply do not pay attention to Mary, thus, the people are unfamiliar with her in a personal way. Ignorance or indifference is not the same as dishonor or hatred.

They have not been brought up to interpret the scripture where Jesus "gives" Mary to John as his mother as her being given to all mankind as a spiritual Mother, therefore, they don't feel they've been instructed to honor her, or go to her for spiritual guidance.

I think you are looking for offence where none is intended.
Old Mar 1, '07, 3:13 pm

Religion: Protestant

Quote:

Mary was described by God as “highly favored” she had MUCH GRACE and Grace is unmerited favor, meaning that it is something we receive despite the fact that we do not deserve it.

Although Mary is Blessed Jesus himself said in
Luke 11:27 On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it. He had a great opportunity to declare that Mary was indeed worthy of praise and adoration instead his response was obedience to God’s Word was MORE IMPORTANT than being the woman who gave birth to Him.

The Apostles nowhere give Mary a prominent role. Mary’s death is not recorded in the Bible. Nothing is said about Mary ascending to Heaven, or having any form of exalted role in Heaven. She is BLESSED! but don't give her more than she deserves, Jesus is who that belongs too.
Old Mar 1, '07, 3:19 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julebenn View Post
Mary was described by God as “highly favored” she had MUCH GRACE and Grace is unmerited favor, meaning that it is something we receive despite the fact that we do not deserve it.

Although Mary is Blessed Jesus himself said in
Luke 11:27 On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it. He had a great opportunity to declare that Mary was indeed worthy of praise and adoration instead his response was obedience to God’s Word was MORE IMPORTANT than being the woman who gave birth to Him.

The Apostles nowhere give Mary a prominent role. Mary’s death is not recorded in the Bible. Nothing is said about Mary ascending to Heaven, or having any form of exalted role in Heaven. She is BLESSED! but don't give her more than she deserves, Jesus is who that belongs too.

Mary did not ascended into heaven. She was assumed by the Power of God. The Church is silent whether Mary died on earth before she assumed. In the Eastern Rite Catholics tradition, and as well Orthodox, Mary did die, and upon her death, her Son, assumed her body and soul into heaven.

I want to make it clear to Protestants that the Catholic Church does not profess that she ascended. Mary was assumed.

Mary in the Bible does have a role. She the Woman Clothed with the Sun mention in Revelation 12 hence giving her the title Queen of Heaven since her Son Jesus inherited the Davidic Kingdom.. but that is another discussion.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics