Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 5, '07, 7:09 pm

Default Sabbath Sat. or Sun???

I know some people who are something called "messianic". They, from what they say are Christian, yet they call their pastor Rabbi and they call church chabat. They also go to church on Sat.earlier, I believe. Does anybody know why and how the Sabbath changed to Sun? I guess an argument that I might expect them to think of would be that Jesus Himself said that He did not come to change one letter of the Law?? Thanks.

Peace
Old Mar 5, '07, 7:34 pm
Banned

Religion: Pravoslavni/Orthodox
Default Re: Sabbath Sat. or Sun???

The Sabbath is on the day we call Saturday in English, which is Saturn's day. Say in Spanish, it is called Sabado (Sabbath) (spelling). Sunday has been called the 8th day. We are no longer required to keep the Sabbath, as Jesus was a fulfillment of the Old Covenant/Old Testament law. That doesn't mean we aren't supposed to not fulfill our duties as Christians to participate in the most awesome and greatest communal celebration, the Mass/Liturgy.
One more little factiod, when Jesus said "where two or more are gathered in my name, I'll be there." He was referring to the fact that in Jewish law there must be 10 men present to conduct the Sabbath services. They must wait even today until 10 men are present to start services. Jesus was saying that He was the fulfillment of the Old Covenant and that it wasn't necessary to have 10 men present to worship.
Old Mar 5, '07, 7:35 pm

Religion: Catholic

As best I can remember, the followers of Christ met on the Sabbath for the services in the local synagogues, and celebrated the "Breaking of the Bread" on Sunday, the day of Christ's Resurrection. By the time of the fall of the Temple (70? 72?AD), there had pretty much been a falling out throughout Israel between those Jews who followed Christ and those who didn't; many, if not most had been kicked out of the Jewish services. It was not a far move from there to having a full celebration of the Word and the Eucharist on Sunday. As Christ was the fullness and the complettion fo the Law, it is easy to see that the day is easily moved from the last day (the Sabbath) to the first day (Sunday); if Christ is the fulfillment fo the Law and the Prophecies, then celebrating His day (the day of the Resurrection) is in accord with that fulfillment.
Old Mar 5, '07, 8:29 pm

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Send a message via MSN to SMHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monicathree View Post
I know some people who are something called "messianic". They, from what they say are Christian, yet they call their pastor Rabbi and they call church chabat. They also go to church on Sat.earlier, I believe. Does anybody know why and how the Sabbath changed to Sun? I guess an argument that I might expect them to think of would be that Jesus Himself said that He did not come to change one letter of the Law?? Thanks.

Peace
Others have explained the change from worshiping on Saturday to worshiping on Sunday.

Your acquaintances are probably 'Messianic Jews'. These would be people who are ethnically Jewish and still consider themselves to be Jewish. (It's my understanding that most Jewish people do NOT consider Messianic Jews to be Jewish.) They still follow some Jewish religious practices but they believe Jesus is the messiah.
Old Mar 7, '07, 11:24 am

No they are not Jewish by blood. They actually just started going to this church last year. The church actually rents the space for it's chabat from a baptist church..
From what I can tell, they believe in Christ, yet they seem to keep very old traditions. They just celebrated something called Porum, from the book of Esther. Also, they do not now eat pork....
Old Mar 7, '07, 11:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monicathree View Post
No they are not Jewish by blood. They actually just started going to this church last year. The church actually rents the space for it's chabat from a baptist church..
From what I can tell, they believe in Christ, yet they seem to keep very old traditions. They just celebrated something called Porum, from the book of Esther. Also, they do not now eat pork....
I think you mean Purim...
Old Mar 8, '07, 1:03 am
Moderator (Ret.)

GENERAL REMINDER

The topic of this thread is:

Quote:
Does anybody know why and how the Sabbath changed to Sun?
Those wishing to discuss other subjects or groups, should feel free to initiate a thread in the appropriate forum. Thank you for your assistance in staying on topic.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments