Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Mar 7, '07, 9:48 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)
Send a message via AIM to Mannyfit75 Send a message via MSN to Mannyfit75 Send a message via Yahoo to Mannyfit75
Default Debate between a priest and James White - 1 Cor 3:10-15.

Check this video. The priest lost the debate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ANt7L12qI

"They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not admit that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ,.." - St. Ignatius of Antioch, "Letter to the Smyrnaeans", paragraph 6. circa 80-110 A.D." - Manny
Old Mar 8, '07, 7:25 am

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to PhilVaz
Arrow purgatory debate

<< Check this video. The priest lost the debate. >>

I agree, it was a poor showing. But Fr. Stravinskas' opening and closing statements were OK. He just needed a little practice for the cross-exam, rebuttals, etc and should have had his own Palm Pilot with the Bible and all this information stored on it. Sungenis did much better against White on purgatory and 1 Corinthians 3 in a radio debate from 2000.

Phil P
Old Mar 8, '07, 7:26 am

Default Re: Debate between a priest and James White - 1 Cor 3:10-15.

I don't know that I would say that the priest lost this debate. I'd say that the priest did not shine as a stellar example of oratory skill, but I'd say it'd be a very long stretch to say the priest lost the debate.

It appeared to me that the priest was enagaged in a debate held in front of an obviously unfriendly audience. James White seemed to be very condescending. If you say that the priest lost the debate because James White condescendingly led the priest through his interpretation of 1 Cor 3:10-15, then I'd have to disagree. I also logically don't agree with White's interpretation of the passage; just as the priest did not agree with it.
Old Mar 8, '07, 7:45 am

Religion: Catholic!

Has anyone got a video where a priest and protestant are debating this subject and the priest wins the debate?

God blesses those whose hearts are
pure, for they will see God.

--Matthew 5:8
Old Mar 8, '07, 7:56 am

Send a message via Skype™ to PhilVaz
Question White has never lost a debate

<< Has anyone got a video where a priest and protestant are debating this subject and the priest wins the debate? >>

Well, its a tough one, in my opinion both Fr. Stravinskas (a 2 hour formal debate against White) and Fr. Pacwa (about 1 hour program against Walter Martin from John Ankerberg) lost their debates on the topic. What you need to do to win such a debate is be prepared with some detailed exegesis to counter White's interpretation. That's what Fr. Sungenis did and he in fact won. Order thru White or Sungenis sites.

There is a video clip (pre-You-Tube days) where White loses the Sola Scriptura debate, but you've already seen that one.

Enter the Magic Word and see White concede defeat

Phil P
Old Mar 8, '07, 8:03 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Roman Rite)

I think White is missing the meaning of 1 Cor 3:14-15. Here are a bucket-load of translations:

(RSV) If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. / If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.
(NAB) If the work stands that someone built upon the foundation, that person will receive a wage. / But if someone's work is burned up, that one will suffer loss; the person will be saved, but only as through fire.
(KJV) If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. / If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
(DR) If any man's work abide, which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. / If any man's work burn, he shall suffer loss; but he himself shall be saved, yet so as by fire.
(LV) si cuius opus manserit quod superaedificavit mercedem accipiet / si cuius opus arserit detrimentum patietur ipse autem salvus erit sic tamen quasi per ignem
(BNV) Si cuius opus manserit, quod superaedificavit, mercedem accipiet; / si cuius opus arserit, detrimentum patietur, ipse autem salvus erit, sic tamen quasi per ignem.

Where is the confusion? All who go through the "fire" of purgatory are cleansed and are saved, and thus rewarded, whether their works perish or not. The Greek word is sozo, which Strong's indicates is never translated as "preserved", so Paul did not mean that the fire would destroy the works but preserve the person, so as to receive Hell or Heaven. Paul meant that the person would be saved -- that is, receive final salvation.

My first book: The Prayers of the People
My second book: The Prayers of the Priest (now in print!)

My Blog: The Cross Reference
Follow me on Twitter @PrayingTheMass
Old Mar 8, '07, 11:25 am

Religion: catholic

i love how the guy who posted this video on youtube only has videos of white talking but never his opponent
Old Mar 8, '07, 2:42 pm
Book Club Member

dr. white reminds me of my philosophy professors. they're very very clever men. does that mean they're right? of course not! it just means they're very good at hiding....
Old Mar 8, '07, 4:27 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Roman Rite)

After a bit of a study of the Greek of several passages in the New Testament, I'm even more sure that Paul wrote sozo meaning saved in the sense of "receiving salvation", not in the sense of "preserved".

Compare Rom 10:9-13, 1 Cor 5:5, and 2 Cor 6:2 (which use sozo or soteria (which is derived from sozo) for "saved" or "salvation") with 2 Pet 2:4, 2 Pet 3:7, Jude 1:1, and Jude 1:6 (which use tereo for "reserved" or "kept" or "preserved"). Paul and the other writers of the New Testament used sozo for being saved by Jesus, and they used tereo for being preserved or kept for something.

My first book: The Prayers of the People
My second book: The Prayers of the Priest (now in print!)

My Blog: The Cross Reference
Follow me on Twitter @PrayingTheMass
Old Mar 8, '07, 5:52 pm

Religion: Catholic Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilVaz

There is a video clip (pre-You-Tube days) where White loses the Sola Scriptura debate, but you've already seen that one.

Enter the Magic Word and see White concede defeat

Phil P
There is something really funny in James White response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James White
In case the name doesn't ring a bell, he's the one who took 15 seconds from a cross examination with Gerry Matatics on sola scriptura where Matatics asked if the Apostles practiced sola scriptura and I answered they did not (sola scriptura to the normative condition of the church, not to times of enscripturation, of course), and touts this as my "admission" that sola scriptura is not true, etc. I suppose I could ask a Roman Catholic opponent someday if Peter functioned as the Pope during Christ's ministry, and when he said, "Well, no, of course not" I could cut him off, make a clip, and tout it as an admission that Peter wasn't the Pope, but that kind of argumentation is only effective upon those who are not interested in the truth to begin with.
Well there are two things that strike as wrong here

Sola Scriptura, to be valid, had to had been clearly taught and maintained by the Apostles and Christ in scripture, otherwise, it self-refutes, that is, it itself cuts its own roots. Al least, if the apostles and Christ intended us to follow Sola Scriptura, but themselves did not follow it, they would have warned VERY CLEARLY, saying TODAY do not follow it, but after we are gone follow it. Such thing is NOT found in scripture.

If Peter did not act or functioned as the Pope during Christ's ministry is not a good comparison, because HE DID act, according to Scripture, as the Pope, so Peter acting as the POPE is more scriptural than Sola Scriptura, but even IF IT WASN'T, it does not CONTRADICT itself like Sola Scriptura does.

Many regards,

E.C.
Old Mar 8, '07, 6:09 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_camino View Post
If Peter did not act or functioned as the Pope during Christ's ministry is not a good comparison, because HE DID act, according to Scripture, as the Pope, so Peter acting as the POPE is more scriptural than Sola Scriptura, but even IF IT WASN'T, it does not CONTRADICT itself like Sola Scriptura does.
Besides, how could Peter act as the representative of Christ in Christ's absence ("Vicar of Christ" to be more precise) when Christ was not absent yet?!?!?
Old Mar 9, '07, 3:18 pm

Religion: catholic

i was looking at some of the other white debates that that same guy posted. I looked at the one where white debates sungenis on the mass. wow the white supporters are really bashing sungenis, but i think that sungenis won the debate by alot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT4Vx3zq9JI
Old Mar 9, '07, 3:48 pm

Religion: Catholic, Roman Rite, religious not spiritual but trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannyfit75 View Post
Check this video. The priest lost the debate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ANt7L12qI
I salute any Catholic who would defend the faith by "debating" someone with a style like James White. These debaters do not enter these debates blindly. They are putting personal pride aside in the hope that reasonable folk will be able to know the truth when they hear it.
Old Mar 9, '07, 9:20 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6glargento View Post
i was looking at some of the other white debates that that same guy posted. I looked at the one where white debates sungenis on the mass. wow the white supporters are really bashing sungenis, but i think that sungenis won the debate by alot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT4Vx3zq9JI
I love it how the DrOakley1689 disabled comments for the video too. I love it how Sungenis rips into him. I wonder what would happen if White went off against Scott Hahn.
Old Mar 9, '07, 9:33 pm

Religion: Catholic of the Roman Rite
Send a message via AIM to Lazerlike42

Quote:
Originally Posted by junostarlighter View Post
I love it how the DrOakley1689 disabled comments for the video too. I love it how Sungenis rips into him. I wonder what would happen if White went off against Scott Hahn.
Dr. Oakley is a pseduonym that Mr. White uses.

While I do not wish to speak for him, my understanding is that Dr. Hahn will not debate him because of what some would consider to be an oftentime uncharitable spirit.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics