Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 8, '07, 10:32 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Incense Question

This may be a silly question but...is the incense supposed to be used at all Masses or just ones on certain days or times of year (the only time I have noticed it used at our parish is during Advent and Christmas).

Thanks!
Old Mar 8, '07, 10:45 am

Send a message via MSN to Windmill
Default Re: Incense Question

It is not required at all. That having been said, I think it is under-utilized almost universally. I went to a parish that used it at every Mass, and we all loved it.

It adds an aire of solemnity.
Old Mar 8, '07, 10:54 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I was thinking that it wasn't necessary but wanted to make sure. I personally like it as well. I think it adds to the already beautiful celebration of the Mass!
Old Mar 8, '07, 1:32 pm

Religion: catholic

We had one priest who used it often. He bought incense from all over the world. The other priests only when they must.
Old Mar 8, '07, 1:38 pm

Cool Re: Incense Question

There is no 'must' with incense. It is a most beautiful addition to any mass, especially at the Gospel- a really holy sight, the deacon reading and the candles either side, with thurifer behind swinging away.

It is generally used at more solemn masses and at all funerals. In the Eastern Rite it is used at all Divine Liturgies, I think?
Old Mar 8, '07, 4:21 pm

I believe incense is required for a Stational Mass of the Diocesan Bishop.

This is described in the Ceremonial of Bishops (the Latin edition, Caeremoniale Episcoporum, was published in 1984):

"
PART II
MASS
CHAPTER 1
STATIONAL MASS OF THE DIOCESAN BISHOP
INTRODUCTION
119 The preeminent manifestation of the local Church is present when the bishop, as high priest of his flock, celebrates the eucharist and particularly when he celebrates in the cathedral, surrounded by his college of presbyters and by his ministers, and with the full, active participation of all God's holy people.
This Mass, which is called the stational Mass, shows forth the unity of the local Church as well as the diversity of ministries exercised around the bishop and the holy eucharist.[Footnote 1 See Sacronsanctum Conciliium, n. 41]
Hence as many of the faithful as possible should come together for a stational Mass, priests should concelebrate with the bishop, deacons should assist in the celebration, and acolytes and readers should carry out their minstries. [See Sacronsanctum Concilium, nn. 26-28]
120 The form of the stational Mass should be retained especially on the greater solemnities of the liturgical year, on Holy Thursday for the blessing of the chrism and the Mass of the Lord's Supper, [footnote 3, see GIRM, nos. 157-158] at the celebration honoring the founder of the local Church or the patron of the diocese, on the anniversay of the bishop's episcopal ordination, at large gatherings of the Christian people, and during pastoral visitations."

It writes about the use of incense as compulsory. It is not a case of "if incense is used" as in the General Instruction of the Roman Missal. Rather it has, for example, :
"128 As the entrance song is being sung, the procession moves from the vesting room (sacristy) to the sanctuary (chancel) in the following order:
-- censerbearer carrying a censer with burning incense;"

From the 2002 General Introduction to the Roman Missal (GIRM) approved for the USA, which can be accessed from http://www.romanrite.com/girm.html :
"276 ... Incense may be used if desired in any form of Mass: ". This sounds like it is always optional. But it also has in the 2002 GIRM:
"112 ... At a Mass celebrated by the Bishop or at which he presides without celebrating the Eucharist, the norms found in the Caeremoniale Episcoporum should be observed. [footnote 92: 92. Cf. Caeremoniale Episcoporum, editio typica, 1984, nos. 119-186.]"

I would not expect the bishop to cancel Mass on Holy Thursday because they have run out of incense. But to faithfully follow the litugical books it should be used.

Reference: Ceremonial of Bishops, Liturgical Press, 1989, ISBN 0-8146-1818-9.
Old Mar 8, '07, 4:23 pm

Religion: Eastern Catholic: Chaldean

The incense is supposed to be representative of the prayer of Jesus to the Father. So when the Priest incenses you, you should be praying and making your intention at that time.
God who created you without you, will not save you without you - St. Augustine
Liturgy makes history
Old Mar 8, '07, 10:56 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic

Small digress. Is it permitted or appropriate to burn incense at home during individual or family prayer, e.g. Liturgy of the Hours?

Old Mar 9, '07, 1:14 am

I try to avoid Masses where incense is frequently used, because during those Masses, I'm sick by the end of the mass.

I once was on a tour of the Byzantine Catholic church here in Tucson, and incense is used frequently in their services. I felt like I had walked into a room of smokers.

--Barbara
Old Mar 9, '07, 1:29 am
Banned

Religion: Pravoslavni/Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbfromtucson View Post
I try to avoid Masses where incense is frequently used, because during those Masses, I'm sick by the end of the mass.

I once was on a tour of the Byzantine Catholic church here in Tucson, and incense is used frequently in their services. I felt like I had walked into a room of smokers.

--Barbara
It's all about the quality of incense. Good NATURAL incense won't bother about 99% of the people, we use incense ad naseum, although we don't "smoke out the church."
Cheap incense with chemical additives will make you feel like you were at a bar all night with chain smokers.
Old Mar 9, '07, 1:33 am
Banned

Religion: Pravoslavni/Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthos11 View Post
Small digress. Is it permitted or appropriate to burn incense at home during individual or family prayer, e.g. Liturgy of the Hours?
Indeed, it is customary for Byzantine Catholics and Orthodox to do so. Burning incense during prayer is an age old tradition.
Get some good quality incense, it may cost a few dollars more but it is worth it. The little censers aren't costly, get a box of either the dime sized charcol or self-lite brand and break them into small pieces ( you don't need a whole piece). Put on the incense and enjoy. Good incense smell will linger for a while, but it won't bother you. Note, good incense, made from all natural products not cheap stuff with chemical additives. Holy Cross Hermitage in West Virginia sells awesome incense. Standard frankincense is also good. It is light in scent and doesn't linger. It is easy to find. It's also pure because it's straight from the tree.
Old Mar 9, '07, 8:38 am

Religion: catholic

See an interesting Dictionary about liturgy:
http://www.cattoliciromani.com/forum...splay.php?f=10
It's in Italian . Anyone can translate it?
Old Mar 9, '07, 6:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelRose81 View Post
This may be a silly question but...is the incense supposed to be used at all Masses or just ones on certain days or times of year (the only time I have noticed it used at our parish is during Advent and Christmas).

Thanks!
It can be used at any Mass, but usually you won't see it unless you go to a funeral Mass. My pastor uses incense at Solemn functions: Christmas Midnight Mass, Maundy Thursday, the Easter Vigil, Pentecost, and Corpus Christi to name a few.
Old Mar 9, '07, 6:58 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbfromtucson View Post

--Barbara
Same thing happens to me. I like the IDEA of incense, but it can make me very ill, especially if I am close to the source.

http://www.knocknovena.com/index.htm

Wife of 1
Mommy of 4
Slave to 11 chickens, 5 cats, 2 pigs, and 1 dog

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments