Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Mar 8, '07, 3:25 pm
yessisan yessisan is offline
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: September 19, 2006
Posts: 4,804
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Omission of prayers during Mass

Is it normal to omit the Gloria and Creed in Mass during Lent? For the past 2 Sundays we have not said these two prayers during Mass. Plus no songs are being sung either. I take the reason for the songs is because of being in a state of "grief" due of Lent, but the prayers?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Mar 8, '07, 3:40 pm
SMHW's Avatar
SMHW SMHW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 30, 2004
Posts: 6,149
Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Send a message via MSN to SMHW
Default Re: Omission of prayers during Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessisan View Post
Is it normal to omit the Gloria and Creed in Mass during Lent? For the past 2 Sundays we have not said these two prayers during Mass. Plus no songs are being sung either. I take the reason for the songs is because of being in a state of "grief" due of Lent, but the prayers?
Omitting the Gloria is proper during Lent. It is not necessary to refrain from singing in general but the singing should be more low key. Instruments should be limited.

Is is just the Creed that is omitted? Or is any kind of Profession of Faith omitted? There is a distinction. If there is some other sort of rite taking place (for instance, some RCIA rites) it is possible that the Creed may be omitted. This is because many such rites include a profession of faith.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Mar 8, '07, 3:54 pm
yessisan yessisan is offline
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: September 19, 2006
Posts: 4,804
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Omission of prayers during Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHW View Post
Omitting the Gloria is proper during Lent. It is not necessary to refrain from singing in general but the singing should be more low key. Instruments should be limited.

Is is just the Creed that is omitted? Or is any kind of Profession of Faith omitted? There is a distinction. If there is some other sort of rite taking place (for instance, some RCIA rites) it is possible that the Creed may be omitted. This is because many such rites include a profession of faith.
Ok, so the Gloria can be omitted, so can singing.

Regarding the Creed, nothing else is being used as a profession of faith. The only prayer we say all together are the Our Father, Kirye Eleison, and Mystery of our faith ("when we eat this bread and drink from this cup, we proclaim...") . Seems a bit strange to me a the Creed is omitted. It never happened before and I've been at this parish for over 7 years.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Mar 8, '07, 4:02 pm
Tantum ergo Tantum ergo is offline
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 12,730
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Omission of prayers during Mass

If I were to guess, I would say it was a misunderstanding on the part of the priest or else simple forgetfulness (the omission of the Creed). Twice in a row is less likely, but. . .You could say, "Father, I'm getting a little forgetful. . .did you say the creed at Mass last Sunday?" If he says, "yes" or "I think so", then it was probably just forgetfulness and he probably WON'T forget next week. If he says, "no" or "no, it's Lent" or something, then you can say that you thought the creed is said in Lent, that you happened to see something about it a couple of months before (so it doesn't look like you're targeting him) and offer to find the reference etc. to show him.
__________________
HLS Club

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Mar 8, '07, 4:07 pm
SMHW's Avatar
SMHW SMHW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 30, 2004
Posts: 6,149
Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Send a message via MSN to SMHW
Default Re: Omission of prayers during Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessisan View Post
Ok, so the Gloria can be omitted, so can singing.

Regarding the Creed, nothing else is being used as a profession of faith. The only prayer we say all together are the Our Father, Kirye Eleison, and Mystery of our faith ("when we eat this bread and drink from this cup, we proclaim...") .
Well, it sounds like something is not right.

But just to clarify, alternate forms of a profession of faith are not necessarily recited together by everyone. Such forms typically take a question and answer form are are likely directed towards individuals (for example, candidates for baptism and/or sponsors). It is also possible that such rites occur during a different part of the Mass than the Creed would.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Mar 8, '07, 5:11 pm
MusicMan MusicMan is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 14, 2005
Posts: 1,523
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Omission of prayers during Mass

The Gloria is omitted during Lent and Advent. The only time from Ash Wednesday to the Easter Vigil that the Gloria is sung or recited is on Holy Thursday. Holy Thursday is part of the Triduum, and under the current calendar of the current Latin Rite Mass, it is a season all of its own, separate from Lent. It is currently the shortest season of the year.

The Profession of Faith often causes headaches during Lent. I believe that during the season of Lent, it is acceptable to substitute the Apostle's Creed for the Nicene Creed during the Profession of Faith.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Mar 9, '07, 1:09 am
barbfromtucson barbfromtucson is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: February 19, 2007
Posts: 254
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Omission of prayers during Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
The Gloria is omitted during Lent and Advent. The only time from Ash Wednesday to the Easter Vigil that the Gloria is sung or recited is on Holy Thursday. Holy Thursday is part of the Triduum, and under the current calendar of the current Latin Rite Mass, it is a season all of its own, separate from Lent. It is currently the shortest season of the year.

The Profession of Faith often causes headaches during Lent. I believe that during the season of Lent, it is acceptable to substitute the Apostle's Creed for the Nicene Creed during the Profession of Faith.
There are two churches here in Tucson that regularly omit the Profession of Faith with nothing in it's place. *When* they do do it, they have to put the words up on the wall (projector) because they don't have it committed to memory. I actually asked the priest about this, and he said that the Profession of Faith is like the "Pledge of Allegiance" and is not absolutely required. There's no difference between a daily Mass and Sunday Mass...a Mass is a Mass is a Mass.

They also omit other things--like they go directly from the "Our Father" to exchanging the sign of peace--as soon as the Our Father is over, everyone starts shaking hands.

They also say "In the breaking of the bread we shall know Him" instead of "Lord, I'm not worthy to receive You, but only say the word and I shall be healed".

There are other 'little' things about these two churches that bother me, so I don't normally attend either one.

--Barb
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Mar 9, '07, 5:33 am
thistle thistle is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: August 23, 2005
Posts: 20,167
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Omission of prayers during Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
The Gloria is omitted during Lent and Advent. The only time from Ash Wednesday to the Easter Vigil that the Gloria is sung or recited is on Holy Thursday. Holy Thursday is part of the Triduum, and under the current calendar of the current Latin Rite Mass, it is a season all of its own, separate from Lent. It is currently the shortest season of the year.

The Profession of Faith often causes headaches during Lent. I believe that during the season of Lent, it is acceptable to substitute the Apostle's Creed for the Nicene Creed during the Profession of Faith.
All year round we recite the Apostles Creed only, and never the Nicene Creed.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Mar 9, '07, 6:09 am
guanophore's Avatar
guanophore guanophore is offline
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: February 14, 2007
Posts: 27,241
Religion: καθολικός
Default Re: Omission of prayers during Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessisan View Post
Is it normal to omit the Gloria and Creed in Mass during Lent? For the past 2 Sundays we have not said these two prayers during Mass. Plus no songs are being sung either. I take the reason for the songs is because of being in a state of "grief" due of Lent, but the prayers?
I think this is to help us to long for them, so when Easter comes, they will burst out!
__________________
"The tradition of the Apostles has been made manifest throughout the world, and can be found in every Church by those who wish to know the truth." -- Irenaeus, writing about A.D. 189, on how the unity of the Church was based on the Apostolic Tradition everywhere handed down (paradosis).



Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8458Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5146CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: mountee
4424Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3863SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3740Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: DesertSister62
3322Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3284Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3224Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3111For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Kellyreneeomara



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:28 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.