Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 3, '04, 3:35 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Does anyone have a 1967 edition of the New Catholic Encyclopedia?

My best friend for the last 29 years became a Jehovah's Witness several years ago. I'm finally responding to the Holy Spirit's nudges to lead her to the truth and so we have a correspondence going right now about the divinity of Jesus and the Trinity (we live 2,000 miles apart). The letter I received from her yesterday "quotes" the 1967 New Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol XIII, Page 575 as saying "The majority of the New Testament texts reveal God's spirit as something, not someone; this is especially seen in the parallelism between the spirit and the power of God." She concludes that this is proof that Catholics believe that the Holy Spirit is God's "active force" and not a person of the Trinity. I'm sure she doesn't have a copy of the Encyclopedia, or even access to it, and this quote has been given to her out of context and misquoted. I checked Amazon.com and the newest version of the New Catholic Encyclopedia published in 2002 costs $1,580, so I'm hoping someone on this forum has access to the 1967 version that my friend is "quoting" from and can give me the correct text on this page. Help anyone?
Old Sep 3, '04, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Religion: Reformed
Default Re: Help from a Reformed protestant

Hi Kay,

Try any good college library near you. I currently have 2 books from the New Catholic Encyclopedia set on my desk (vol 2 & 3), which I have on loan (due back soon!)

Regards, James Swan
Old Sep 3, '04, 11:00 pm

Send a message via Skype™ to PhilVaz
Lightbulb 1967 NCE

<< "The majority of the New Testament texts reveal God's spirit as something, not someone; this is especially seen in the parallelism between the spirit and the power of God." She concludes that this is proof that Catholics believe that the Holy Spirit is God's "active force" and not a person of the Trinity. >>

It's probably baloney if you just read the entire article on "Holy Spirit" in the New Catholic Encyclopedia. The quote may be accurate, but I'm sure the entire article reveals all the places where the Holy Spirit is not only a Divine Person (Greek ekeinos = He in John 14-16), but God (Acts 5:3-4). Also copy the article on "Trinity" or related articles.

The big green volumes of the 1967 NCE should be at any of your local university libraries. I know all the major ones have it down here (Tampa Bay).

Phil P
Old Sep 5, '04, 10:36 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Does anyone have a 1967 edition of the New Catholic Encyclopedia?

Hello,

I was skipping around working on this issue, and I found this website: http://www.bible.ca/trinity/trinity-...-footnotes.htm

I think it would be a great place for you to start, since it seems to have done alot of the legwork you are trying to do for you....

Peace,
John
Old Sep 6, '04, 12:30 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic and proud of it! Praise God!

The web site mentioned above, bible.ca, is not only anti-Jehovah Witness it is also strongly anti-Catholic! It puts both denominations on the same cult page! This web site is at best deceptive and many of their 'opinions' I have found to be in error. Do not use this web site as fact or proof of anything since it will easily resort to misinformation to mislead anyone who reads their version of a jack chick tract. See this link: http://www.bible.ca/false.htmIf you want to prove the Jehovah Witness opinions false with information from bible.ca then please verify the facts for yourself before using them. What you read on that site could be true or it could be fiction.

2 Tim 4:6-7 "For I am even now ready to be sacrificed: and the time of my dissolution is at hand. I have fought a good fight: I have finished my course: I have kept the faith." Have you?
Old Sep 6, '04, 7:06 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. I have a good number of resources to help respond to her basic issues regarding the divinity of Jesus and the Trinity -- such as the Beginning Apologetics series from Catholic Answers and Answering Jehovah's Witnesses by Jason Evert, as well as the Catechism and a good Catholic Bible. Obviously, it bugs me if she (or whoever helped her compose her letter) is misquoting or taking a sentence or two out of the New Catholic Encyclopedia to make it look like Catholics are inconsistent in their teachings. So I was hoping to set her straight on that by finding the actual text. Unfortunately, I live in the middle of nowhere and getting to a university library is quite a hike. But considering what is at stake here -- a road trip to the nearest university is probably in order.
Old Sep 6, '04, 8:13 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi4U
The web site mentioned above, bible.ca, is not only anti-Jehovah Witness it is also strongly anti-Catholic! It puts both denominations on the same cult page! This web site is at best deceptive and many of their 'opinions' I have found to be in error. Do not use this web site as fact or proof of anything since it will easily resort to misinformation to mislead anyone who reads their version of a jack chick tract. See this link: http://www.bible.ca/false.htmIf you want to prove the Jehovah Witness opinions false with information from bible.ca then please verify the facts for yourself before using them. What you read on that site could be true or it could be fiction.
Thanks for the tip Malachi...I will be more cautious on my recommendations.
Old Dec 1, '13, 1:28 pm

I see this is a very old thread but I thought I'd make an update in case others came across it like I did. This thread came up as I was looking for the original source for two references given to me by a couple Jehavoh's Witnesses:

Quote:
“There is no dichotomy [division] of body and soul in the O[ld] T[estament]. The Israelite saw things concretely, in their totality, and thus he considered men as persons and not as composites. The term nepeš [ne′phesh], though translated by our word soul, never means soul as distinct from the body or the individual person. . . . The term [psy·khe′] is the N[ew] T[estament] word corresponding with nepeš. It can mean the principle of life, life itself, or the living being.”—New Catholic Encyclopedia(1967), Vol. XIII, pp. 449, 450.
Quote:
“The Christian concept of a spiritual soul created by God and infused into the body at conception to make man a living whole is the fruit of a long development in Christian philosophy. Only with Origen [died c. 254 C.E.] in the East and St. Augustine [died 430 C.E.] in the West was the soul established as a spiritual substance and a philosophical concept formed of its nature. . . . His [Augustine’s] doctrine . . . owed much (including some shortcomings) to Neoplatonism.”—New Catholic Encyclopedia (1967), Vol. XIII, pp. 452, 454.
I drove to the local university library and took a snapshot of ALL relevant pages from the 1967 edition so we can read these quotes in full context.

Here's the PDF of the relevant pages: http://bit.ly/1967CC4JW

I apologize there are couple pages that I didn't notice were out of focus but the vast majority is very legible.

I hope this helps future others that are researching this topic.
Old Dec 2, '13, 3:49 am
Forum Elder

This is a 9 year old thread. They are not supposed to be resurrected. Anyone wanting to discuss the same topic should start a new thread.
Old Dec 2, '13, 6:55 pm

Sorry about that, and thanks for letting me know. I'm new to the forum world. Reviewed the "Forum Rules" and didn't see anything about responding to old posts. Must be a little t tradition thing? Will repost as a new thread. If I should delete the post above, and if there is a way to do so, please let me know.
Old May 2, '14, 1:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Walker View Post
My best friend for the last 29 years became a Jehovah's Witness several years ago. I'm finally responding to the Holy Spirit's nudges to lead her to the truth and so we have a correspondence going right now about the divinity of Jesus and the Trinity (we live 2,000 miles apart). The letter I received from her yesterday "quotes" the 1967 New Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol XIII, Page 575 as saying "The majority of the New Testament texts reveal God's spirit as something, not someone; this is especially seen in the parallelism between the spirit and the power of God." She concludes that this is proof that Catholics believe that the Holy Spirit is God's "active force" and not a person of the Trinity. I'm sure she doesn't have a copy of the Encyclopedia, or even access to it, and this quote has been given to her out of context and misquoted. I checked Amazon.com and the newest version of the New Catholic Encyclopedia published in 2002 costs $1,580, so I'm hoping someone on this forum has access to the 1967 version that my friend is "quoting" from and can give me the correct text on this page. Help anyone?
Old May 2, '14, 1:38 pm

I personally read page 575 with that quote. However, as usual, it is taken out of context. Here is how page 575 begins:

God‘s Spirit as a Power: "As the result of the teaching of Christ, the DEFINITE Personality of the Third Person of the Trinity is clear". However, in most cases, the phrase “Spirit of God” reflects the OT notion of the “Power of God”.

God’s Spirit as a Person: "...in the new testament there is a gradual revelation that the Spirit of God is a Person".

It then builds from the JW quote.
Old May 2, '14, 1:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayTheLife View Post
I see this is a very old thread but I thought I'd make an update in case others came across it like I did. This thread came up as I was looking for the original source for two references given to me by a couple Jehavoh's Witnesses:

I drove to the local university library and took a snapshot of ALL relevant pages from the 1967 edition so we can read these quotes in full context.

Here's the PDF of the relevant pages: http://bit.ly/1967CC4JW

I apologize there are couple pages that I didn't notice were out of focus but the vast majority is very legible.

I hope this helps future others that are researching this topic.
Old May 2, '14, 1:42 pm

Thanks a million. That really helped. They used to used Vol. 14 for that quote in error.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics