Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 3, '04, 6:20 pm
Observing Member

Default CCD Creative Teaching Tools

Hello,

I teach third graders religious formation and am wondering if anyone has creative ideas for class discussions/activities?
Old Sep 3, '04, 8:29 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: CCD Creative Teaching Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
Hello,

I teach third graders religious formation and am wondering if anyone has creative ideas for class discussions/activities?
The Image of God is a good program.

Highly recommeded by Father John Hardon and others.
Old Sep 4, '04, 6:57 pm

I taught 5th grade CCD for several years and my students loved this Saint Francis project! I think it appeals to children of all ages. It consists of telling the life story of Saint Francis by using small trinkets to highlight certain events. I would usually time this project as close to All Saints' Day as possible. It does take some preparation on your part but I thought it was worth it since it was their favorite class.

Below is the story I used. The children need only bring in a shoebox. A picture of Saint Francis should be glued on the lid of the shoebox. I xeroxed a picture of him from a coloring book of the saints so they could color it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

St. Francis was born at Assisi, Umbria, Italy in 1181 (Italian flag---made from a piece of paper colored and glued around a toothpick). His father Peter was a wealthy cloth merchant (small square of red velvet cloth). In his youth, he had plenty of money and spent it freely. He had dreams of being a knight (sword toothpick). When he was about 20, a war broke out between the cities of Perugia and Assisi. Francis went riding off into battle but was taken prisoner by the Perugians. After a year, he was released. He walked the hills of Assisi (large rectangle of green felt) but the world was different now. His life was changing. He made another attempt to go off to war but returned to Assisi after hearing a voice in a dream. Francis began to listen to God; he began to take his religion seriously.

There were several events that led to his transformation. He was about 25 and one day he was praying in little rundown church (I made bread dough ornaments ahead of time with a church-shaped cookie cutter), he heard a voice coming from the crucifix (sticker or paper cross), which said to him 3 times, “Francis, go and repair my house, which you see is falling down.” He went home, took a horseload of cloth, sold both the cloth and the horse. He gave the money (coin) to the priest of the church and wanted to stay there with him. But when Francis’ father heard what he had done, he was furious. His father took him home and beat him, locked him up. When his father left for a trip, his mother let him out and Francis went right back to the church. One time, he was in the street begging for stones (small rocks) to rebuild the church and the crowd was mocking him. His father heard the noise, rushed into the street, dragged his son before the bishop and demanded that Francis return home or return the money for the cloth and horse. And this is how it was: Calmly Francis stripped himself of his clothes, and there before the crowd and the bishop, he laid his clothes at his father’s feet declaring, “I am determined to serve God. I return not only Peter’s money but all the clothes I have from him.” He put on a tunic, belt, and sandals (burlap cloth cut into the shape of a robe). Now he had publicly left his father for the Kingdom of God. From then on, Francis began to live the gospel.

He is the patron saint of animals (small plastic animal toy) and his feast day is October 4th.
Old Sep 4, '04, 7:15 pm

Thanks for posting this. I teach religion to K through 5th grade and am always looking for new ways for the children to learn. I have always had the children act out the stories in the old testament. I have purchased many sets of felt bible stories.
But for third grade this year I am going to assign one of the seven sacraments to each group and let them bring in a few props to act them out for the class. Then we can discuss the meaning of the sacraments the bible quotes that go along with them and the fruits of the sacraments. I may assign the quotes to different groups also and have them look them up.

For the commandments I will have the class do a paper mache set of commandments and assign a commandment for them to study and define, also listing all the sins against the commandments.

I have not got much farther than this on my lesson plans so I am looking forward to imput on this post.

Thanks for posting.....
Old Sep 4, '04, 7:23 pm

I thought of a couple of other things I've done in class which might be fun for your 3rd graders.

In our discussion of Lent, we celebrated Mardi Gras! Also known as Fat Tuesday, it occurs 46 days before Easter. It is called Fat Tuesday because Christians would have their fill of the forbidden foods before Lent started the next day, Ash Wednesday. We tasted a “king cake,” which originated in the early 16th century, referencing the Epiphany when the kings brought gifts to the baby Jesus. (I purchased our king cake from the grocery store but there are also recipes on the internet.) Our cake was decorated with the Mardi Gras’ colors of purple (representing justice), green (faith), and gold (power).

Toward the end of the year, we played "Who Wants to be a Good Catholic?" which is a spin off of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" All I did was compile a bunch of questions from the things we had learned during our CCD year. Divide the class into groups of 3-4 children so you can have teams compete against one another! They thought this was a blast and it served as a good review.

Old Sep 18, '04, 6:36 pm
Observing Member

Smile Re: CCD Creative Teaching Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostThenFound
I taught 5th grade CCD for several years and my students loved this Saint Francis project! I think it appeals to children of all ages.
Thank you for this idea. I ironically belong to St Francis of Assisi Parish.
Old Oct 24, '04, 6:40 pm
Observing Member

Default Topics of discussion in 7th grade CCD

Am I off base thinking it is to early to teach 7th graders about gay marriage and abortion in religious class?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence