Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Mar 11, '07, 8:36 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Muslim Imam converts to Christianity

Here is a man who knew Islam backwords and forwards. He sacrificed everything and endangered his life to accept Christ. This is why they work so hard to avoid having their people hear about Christianity. They know they will lose.

www.spcm.org

Also linked from www.spiritdaily.com
Old Mar 11, '07, 1:23 pm

Default Re: Muslim Imam converts to Christianity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cestusdei View Post
Here is a man who knew Islam backwords and forwards. He sacrificed everything and endangered his life to accept Christ. This is why they work so hard to avoid having their people hear about Christianity. They know they will lose.

www.spcm.org

Also linked from www.spiritdaily.com
So the evangelicals are anti-Catholic and don't tell the truth when it comes to stories about Catholics and their teaching....but they automatically become truthful if they post a story about Muslims.

Interesting double standard.

Edit:

The article is hilarious btw....they cite his "700,000 in monetary units of theirs" salary per month as if that were a huge comfort he gave up.

700,000 "monetary units of theirs"=just about 77 dollars a month.
Old Mar 11, '07, 1:26 pm

I believe TBN has a daily Mass show in their lineup. But I would rather deal with evangelicals then muslims. If all muslims became evangelicals I would not be sad, they would at least be Christians.

There is no reason to doubt the story. If you know it is false please show us where. When a Christian minister converts muslims screech about it loudly and say this shows that Islam is number one. Now the shoe is on the other foot. How does it fit?
Old Mar 11, '07, 1:27 pm

Quote:
I believe TBN has a daily Mass show in their lineup. But I would rather deal with evangelicals then muslims. If all muslims became evangelicals I would not be sad, they would at least be Christians.

There is no reason to doubt the story. If you know it is false please show us where. When a Christian minister converts muslims screech about it loudly and say this shows that Islam is number one. Now the shoe is on the other foot. How does it fit?
On what channels do Muslims screech loudly? How many "Priest became Muslim" threads have been posted by Muslims here?
Old Mar 11, '07, 1:31 pm

Not many priests join them, but there were occasionally and I have had it thrown in my face. More occasionally a Protestant minister will join them. Check any muslim website dedicated to converts and you will find them screeching. As for muslim TV go to memri.org and you can watch it with all the screeching against Jews and Christians.

This poor Imam could well end up dead. You will notice we don't kill those clergy who convert to Islam. We pray for their souls.
Old Mar 11, '07, 1:35 pm

Quote:
Not many priests join them, but there were occasionally and I have had it thrown in my face. More occasionally a Protestant minister will join them. Check any muslim website dedicated to converts and you will find them screeching. As for muslim TV go to memri.org and you can watch it with all the screeching against Jews and Christians.

This poor Imam could well end up dead. You will notice we don't kill those clergy who convert to Islam. We pray for their souls.
Who knows if the "poor" Imam is even real.

77 US dollar a month, and they're bragging about that as if he sacrificed it all to become Christian? That makes me seriously doubt that there's been even a basic fact check on this. I mean come on...a currency converter is on the net.

Memri.org isn't Muslim TV, it's Israeli intelligence on the web. (Not an exaggeration-it is founded and run by Israeli intelligence officials.)
Old Mar 11, '07, 1:40 pm

Why don't they give his name? Glad you asked. Because what happens in Iran to muslims who convert to Christianity? That's right...they kill them. There is no reason for TBN to lie. But if you know it is untrue then please give the website that shows it. The burden is now on you. Memri shows arab tv programs as they are. No one yet has shown that any translation they give is faulty. But if you prefer you can find the same thing on youtube. Arab tv villifies Christians and Jews routinely.
Old Mar 11, '07, 1:43 pm

Quote:
Why don't they give his name? Glad you asked.
No, I didn't. The absence of a name isn't my problem with the story; it's the facts that don't ring true.

Quote:
There is no reason for TBN to lie.
How do you know someone else didn't lie to TBN?

Quote:
But if you know it is untrue then please give the website that shows it.
What I did is something you should do with all news stories. I read the factual claims, and evaluated how much sense they made.

A "senior cleric/Imam" in Iran makes only 77 dollars a month? Yeah right...it's a poor country, but not that poor. So we know at a minimum that someone is wrong on the pay.

Quote:
The burden is now on you. Memri shows arab tv programs as they are. No one yet has shown that any translation they give is faulty. But if you prefer you can find the same thing on youtube. Arab tv villifies Christians and Jews routinely.
No, Memri does not. They select the most radical programs they can find, and then they translate them doing things like substituting "Israel" for "Jews" and "Zionism" for "Jews." It is not an information site; it is a partisan website dedicated to advancing the cause of one side only in the Israeli-Arab conflict.
Old Mar 11, '07, 1:44 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro_universal View Post
Who knows if the "poor" Imam is even real.

77 US dollar a month, and they're bragging about that as if he sacrificed it all to become Christian? That makes me seriously doubt that there's been even a basic fact check on this. I mean come on...a currency converter is on the net.

Memri.org isn't Muslim TV, it's Israeli intelligence on the web. (Not an exaggeration-it is founded and run by Israeli intelligence officials.)
Why would you even be arguing about this, Pro? If you're not muslim, that is.
If an Imam wants to become Christian, and Christians are happy about it, what difference does that make to you?

I am happy for the former Imam's acceptance of Christ.
Old Mar 11, '07, 1:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella View Post
Why would you even be arguing about this, Pro? If you're not muslim, that is.
If an Imam wants to become Christian, and Christians are happy about it, what difference does that make to you?

I am happy for the former Imam's acceptance of Christ.
I responded because I don't like half-truths and organized campaigns against anyone's religion.

That's great that you're happy, but I suggest you read the story. I don't think it's true.
Old Mar 11, '07, 2:15 pm

Quote:
I responded because I don't like half-truths and organized campaigns against anyone's religion.

That's great that you're happy, but I suggest you read the story. I don't think it's true.
First, you haven't provided any evidence that it isn't true.

Second, how is celebrating a person's commitment to Christ an 'organized campaign against someone's religion'?
Old Mar 11, '07, 2:16 pm

Religion: Catholic Christian of the Latin Rite

True or not, I am eagerly awaiting the glorious day Our Lady of Guadalupe effects the conversion of all Muslims.
Send me a PM to discuss my website

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/ Watch the videos down the page
Old Mar 11, '07, 2:48 pm

Quote:
First, you haven't provided any evidence that it isn't true.

Second, how is celebrating a person's commitment to Christ an 'organized campaign against someone's religion'?
Yes, I have. I cited the story's claims about his "salary" as a cleric. Please read the story if you don't understand what I meant by that--the report is that he abandoned a "cleric's salary" of 700,000 "units of currency" per month.

In Iran, that actually means only 77 dollars a month, ie, less than the Iranian minimum wage. So the story clearly at a minimum isn't straight on its facts....and that makes it suspect.

Second, posting every day something to demean Muslims is an organized campaign.
Old Mar 11, '07, 2:50 pm

Quote:
Yes, I have. I cited the story's claims about his "salary" as a cleric. Please read the story if you don't understand what I meant by that--the report is that he abandoned a "cleric's salary" of 700,000 "units of currency" per month.

In Iran, that actually means only 77 dollars a month, ie, less than the Iranian minimum wage. So the story clearly at a minimum isn't straight on its facts....and that makes it suspect.

Second, posting every day something to demean Muslims is an organized campaign.
How does this story demean Muslims?

As for the currency, I don't know anything about that. But if it is an error it doesn't make the story completely untrue.
Old Mar 11, '07, 2:53 pm

Quote:
How does this story demean Muslims?

As for the currency, I don't know anything about that. But if it is an error it doesn't make the story completely untrue.
No, but it certainly makes the story suspect. And it also means they didn't do even a basic fact check: if you look at currency conversion rates online (they are easy to find, just google "Iran US currency exchange"), you would see that this "700,000" salary (they don't even know what the currency in Iran is called, apparently), is not correct.

So you know part of it is wrong, and that they didn't do any fact checking at all from that piece of information. Is that not cause for you to doubt it too?
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions