Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 13, '07, 6:54 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Cradle, active, Roman Catholic
Default Wooden Clappers - Picture, Please

Greetings!

I'm in need of finding images of the wooden clappers used for Holy Thursday Mass.

I have not had any luck with Google so far, but I'm still searching.

I need to either buy some for our parish before this Triduum or have some made. I was hoping to have them made since it would be a perfect Lenten offering for some blessed carpenter but I would need a drawing or picture to show him/her what it is we are seeking.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

YYM
Old Mar 13, '07, 3:14 pm

Religion: Catholic (typical hardcore papist)
Default Re: Wooden Clappers - Picture, Please

I had to look this up since I had no idea what you were talking about...

"The Crotalus is a bell that is rung with a wooden clapper and is used when other bells are forbidden during Passion Week. This is the bell that is used when the Blessed Sacrament is displayed in the Monstrance"

As far as pictures, sorry maybe I will have a bit of time to find some later on today...

God Bless
Scylla
1 Timothy 3:15
Old Mar 13, '07, 3:55 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Send a message via AIM to tee_eff_em Send a message via Yahoo to tee_eff_em
Cool Re: Wooden Clappers - Picture, Please

The one our parish uses looks like the one pictured here http://www.catholicsupply.com/churchs/blaise.html

It's a pretty small image, so for anyone unfamiliar: The handle is the part on the upper right, and it is held so the handle points downward. A simple back and forth motion of the wrist causes the hammer on the top to TICK - TOCK against either side of the board.

tee
Old Mar 13, '07, 4:01 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Sorry I couldn't find a photo. I do remember the item; the clapper made a sound which was distinctly wood on wood and was used during the procession for the repose of the Eucharist. Some old cathedrals may still have them stored away somewhere.
Old Mar 13, '07, 6:49 pm

Religion: Ukrainian Catholic

I don't have any pictures of ours, either.....

We use them for the burial procession on Great Friday, when we carry the replica of the shroud of Christ around the church and place it on the "tomb" inside the church. Then everyone comes up on their knees to venerate it. My brothers are altar boys and have a lot of fun with those clappers (ours are all wooden).

Co-Founder, C.I., D.S.
Old Mar 13, '07, 9:59 pm

I have never before heard of the crotalus (or wooden clapper) in my 46 years here in south central Kansas. What is it's history? Is it still used in a majority or small minority of churches? What region of our country or what countries is it used? How quick or repetitive is the hand motion to get the desired effect? Does it come off sounding theatrical or sacred? I'm just real curious.
Old Mar 13, '07, 10:12 pm

We used to employ one when I was an altar boy a couple decades ago. The parish may still have them in it's sacristy. But I don't have a picture.
Old Mar 13, '07, 10:20 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuryakyn View Post
I don't have any pictures of ours, either.....

We use them for the burial procession on Great Friday, when we carry the replica of the shroud of Christ around the church and place it on the "tomb" inside the church. Then everyone comes up on their knees to venerate it. My brothers are altar boys and have a lot of fun with those clappers (ours are all wooden).
In the Philippines we have the same custom. We carry this statue of Christ covered in a purple/red/white blanket inside a glass casket. When it is taken to procession with the Mater Dolorosa wooden clappers are used.
Old Mar 14, '07, 3:11 am
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Send a message via AIM to tee_eff_em Send a message via Yahoo to tee_eff_em
Cool Re: Wooden Clappers - Picture, Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beno View Post
I have never before heard of the crotalus (or wooden clapper) in my 46 years here in south central Kansas. What is it's history? Is it still used in a majority or small minority of churches? What region of our country or what countries is it used? How quick or repetitive is the hand motion to get the desired effect? Does it come off sounding theatrical or sacred? I'm just real curious.
I can't answer all your questions, but these: In my parish we've used this (always called it the "clacker") for the last few years, but because it was prompted by a very conservative priest, I suspect it is older than that. It is used following the Mass of the Lord's Supper on Holy Thursday, while processing the Blessed Sacrament to the place of repose, as a less-joyful alternative to a bell. I would say the rhythm is about once every 4 seconds -- CLACK - CLACK... 2... 3... 4.... CLACK - CLACK... 2... 3... 4.... Because of the context, to me it sounds "special" and mournful.

tee
Old Mar 14, '07, 8:43 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
I grew up in Kansas City KS, and recall it being used every Holy Thursday for decades up until the liturgical changes maybe in the 70's or 80's. We had the procession of the Eucharist to the altar of repose; (the Eucharist was carried under a canopy), while the choir sang the Pange Lingua. The clacker marked the beats of the song; it seemed appropriate for the liturgy, not theatrical.
Old Mar 14, '07, 2:51 pm
Book Club Member

Thumbs up Re: Wooden Clappers - Picture, Please

Quote:
Well, Beno in central Kansas, the clappers are used on Holy Thursday at the Church of the Magdalen which is, I think, the largest church in Wichita.
Old Mar 14, '07, 11:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee_eff_em View Post
I can't answer all your questions, but these: In my parish we've used this (always called it the "clacker") for the last few years, but because it was prompted by a very conservative priest, I suspect it is older than that. It is used following the Mass of the Lord's Supper on Holy Thursday, while processing the Blessed Sacrament to the place of repose, as a less-joyful alternative to a bell. I would say the rhythm is about once every 4 seconds -- CLACK - CLACK... 2... 3... 4.... CLACK - CLACK... 2... 3... 4.... Because of the context, to me it sounds "special" and mournful.

tee
You can use two with different tones in a sort of call and response, also. Clic-clack, clic-clack, clic-clack. (then lower) clic-clack, clic-clack, clic-clack.
Old Mar 16, '07, 7:03 pm
Forum Elder

I'm impressed. Where else on the Internet but CAF could one find a good discussion of liturgical clappers?
Old Mar 17, '07, 11:11 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to maherite1977 Send a message via Yahoo to maherite1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee_eff_em View Post

tee
My Parish also uses them in place of the consecration bells on Holy Thursday and in the procession of the Blessed Sacrament to the place of repose.

I found out how traditional my Parish was during the Triduum last year when after the Gloria on Holy Thursday, the organ was turned off, not to be turned on until the Gloria on Holy Saturday. The effect was amazing - remembering to keep things simple in this time of mourning the death of Christ.
Old Mar 17, '07, 8:36 pm

Religion: catholic

These were used at last Sundays Mass 9-11-07 in Alabama.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments